Best android music player app?
Feb 17, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #259 of 633
Iam curious about this am3d thing. Too bad there is no test period. Dont want to blindly purchase

From the free version of the Jet Audio Basic app,  you can use the AM3D for 10 seconds at a time by selecting it from a list. You have to "press" the big button many times to get a decent listen.  Ten seconds at a time seems a little gimmicky,  but whatever. You can use several DSPs at a time and the app will warn you of possible distortion due to clipping.

To me it seems a lot like other apps of its kind (like a loudness function with a sort of echo) YMMV. I'll stick with V4A.

Mar 18, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #260 of 633
Every now and then I get hacked off with Neutron's UI and fire up Poweramp in the vain hope they've magically made it sound better and they never, ever have.

Why does Neutron sound so good and yet get so little love? Is it just the UI?

Mar 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #261 of 633
Every now and then I get hacked off with Neutron's UI and fire up Poweramp in the vain hope they've magically made it sound better and they never, ever have.

Why does Neutron sound so good and yet get so little love? Is it just the UI?

Does it get little love? From what I've seen, UAPP and Neutron are generally the consensus picks for best sounding Android player. Whenever most other things get mentioned, its simply because people are making an audio quality sacrifice for a better UI. I think that Neutron is pretty well loved around these parts.

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #262 of 633
Interest...I don't have a problem with Neutron's UI and I purchased it years ago. I mostly only listen to it when it shows up as a Play Store update. I see if Neutron sounds better and (when I find out it doesn't) I go immediately back to Poweramp. I just think Poweramp sounds bigger, clearer, and the sub-bass definitely hits deeper. V4A and Poweramp on the Note 3 with the SE846 is a good combo.

And actually I think Poweramp is more popular. It has over 10+ million downloads to 10 thousand plus for Neutron. Plus, Poweramp did better in a poll on this site.

Mar 18, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #263 of 633
I'm with Austin. That's good to hear. Sometimes all I read about is Poweramp. I think Neutron sounds so much better.

I'm also using a Note 3 (Snapdragon) Truckdriver and my opinion couldn't be more different. I find Poweramp dull & lifeless and even after tweaking the EQ it never 'sparkles' like Neutron.

I guess if everyone was the same it'd be a boring world.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #264 of 633
I'm with Austin. That's good to hear. Sometimes all I read about is Poweramp. I think Neutron sounds so much better.

I'm also using a Note 3 (Snapdragon) Truckdriver and my opinion couldn't be more different. I find Poweramp dull & lifeless and even after tweaking the EQ it never 'sparkles' like Neutron.

I guess if everyone was the same it'd be a boring world.

You being "with Austin" is not a revelation since he was essentially agreeing with your view of Neutron.
biggrin.gif

The best thing (in my opinion) that happened to Android (music wise) is Viper4Android. Poweramp may be second (though it is no doubt the most popular third party music app). I think Poweramp holds true to its name. It seems to bring power thru a kind of an amplification (especially in the bass and sub-bass region, but it's good throughout).

I actually think that I prefer the sound of my iPod Touch 5G to the Note 3 if all I could use was Neutron.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #265 of 633
You may well be correct. I'm kinda only using my phone as a stop-gap player. I'm hoping the Fiio X5 fulfills it's promise.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #266 of 633
Quick question for you about Poweramp. What's Stereo X meant to be?

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #267 of 633
Quick question for you about Poweramp. What's Stereo X meant to be?

Stereo X is suppose to have a widening effect (the X is for expand), but I never use it.

I don't actually expect boutique DAPs will sound better than the Note 3 with V4A and Poweramp with my earphones. I just had the HM-802 and it didn't sound better with the 846. It sounded better with full size headphones because it has a more powerful amp section. The Boutique DAPs (that don't use Android) don't have enough flexibility in sound shaping for me.

Mar 18, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #268 of 633
V4A?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back