Best and Worst Remake of Song:
Jul 30, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #166 of 194
I wish there was a way I could view a whole thread (I realize on some threads, such as the Darkest Desires threads, that would be ridiculous, but on this thread, it would be really helpful -- I could check to see if I posted in it already). So apologies if any or all of these have been posted before, esp. if by me:

Some of the best:

Jimi, "All Along The Watchtower"
Soft Cell, "Tainted Love"
They Might Be Giants, "Istanbul (Not Constantinopole)"
Devo, "Satisfaction"
Oingo Boingo, "You Really Got Me"
Van Halen, "You Really Got Me"
Cure, "Purple Haze"

Some artists that can do anything they want, and I usually love it:

Cure, Tori, Type O Negative, Marilyn Manson, Cardigans

Worst:

that guy behind SSQ and Stacey Q did "Nights In White Satin"
Modern English covered themselves doing "I Melt With You" on Pillow Lips
White Lion, "Radar Love" - just sucked the life and groove out of it
Britney, "Satisfaction"

Jul 30, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #167 of 194
So many great ones mentioned already!

I like The Cure's cover of The Doors' "Hello, I Love You," which appears on the Elektra 30th anniversary disc, Rubiyat.

Also, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' live version of "License to Kill" on the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert Celebration.

File this one under strange but cool: John Cale and Suzanne Vega doing Leonard Cohen's "So Long, Marianne." It's on a compilation disc called Bleecker Street: Greenwich Village in the 60s (whole disc is excellent, btw).

Bad? Annie Lennox's cover of The Clash's "Train in Vain" on Medusa. Sounds like she took a handful of Valium before singing it.

Jul 30, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #169 of 194
I dont like covers / remakes... whatever you want to call em... But I can only think of 4 that i like.

Metallica - Stone cold Crazy
SRV's rendition of Little Wing
Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower
Van Helen's version of You really Got Me

The guitar tones on these recordings is spine chilling IMHO.

Jul 31, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #170 of 194
Best: Hanoi Rocks - Up Around the Bend
Worst: Nirvana - The man who sold the world

Jul 31, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #172 of 194
Sheryl Crow's remake of GNR "sweet child o' mine"

Aug 13, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #174 of 194
Oh well, since we're doing this again:

Best:
Foo Fighters - Baker Street - I love this as much as the original, which is saying something.
Eric Roche - Jump - Van Halen via acoustic guitar? Yes please
biggrin.gif

Tori Amos - Smells Like Teen Spirit - I love Tori's covers
Tori Amos - '97 Bonnie and Clyde - so much creepier than Eminem.
Gary Jules - Mad World
The Vines - Ms. Jackson
Ryan Adams - Wonderwall - possibly one of my favourite covers.
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah - oh wait, this is.

Worst:
Johnny Cash - Hurt - I love NIN and I just don't like this. I don't like his voice and I don't like what he's done to the song. Tales of his suffering don't make me enjoy a piece of music any more, I'm afraid.
Avril Lavigne - Chop Suey - HAHAHAHAHA
Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb - just why?
And all those tracks Fred Durst has murdered.

Aug 13, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #176 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
Johnny Cash - Hurt - I love NIN and I just don't like this. I don't like his voice and I don't like what he's done to the song. Tales of his suffering don't make me enjoy a piece of music any more, I'm afraid.

Ditto. I don't understand why people keep mentioning it as one of the best remakes. IMO it is garbage.

Aug 13, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #177 of 194
Big Star did a great cover of the Velvet Underground's "Femme Fatale".

For worst, how about "Supergroup" Far Corporation's 1985 cover of "Stairway to Heaven" which actually made it to #8 on the British charts. How in hell can you cover "Stairway to Heaven"? Far Corporation was put together by German producer Frank Farian who also formed Milli Vanilli.

239205.jpg

In actuality Frank Zappa did a pretty good cover of SttoHe. But hey, it's Frank Zappa.

Aug 13, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #178 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorfmeister
Big Star did a great cover of the Velvet Underground's "Femme Fatale".

For worst, how about "Supergroup" Far Corporation's 1985 cover of "Stairway to Heaven" which actually made it to #8 on the British charts. How in hell can you cover "Stairway to Heaven"? Far Corporation was put together by German producer Frank Farian who also formed Milli Vanilli.

239205.jpg

In actuality Frank Zappa did a pretty good cover of SttoHe. But hey, it's Frank Zappa.

If you're gonna talk about Stairway to Heaven covers, dishonourable mention must go to Rolf Harris. Meant to mention this in my last post, what a horrible horrible thing to do to a song
mad.gif

Aug 13, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #179 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
Why the Shatner-bashing? He's great! I got his new CD, it's a bunch of fun. The whole point of a cover is to something interesting with the original, and that's what he does. It's worth tracking down a copy of Volume 1 by Fear Of Pop, too - Ben Folds' first solo project, it featured a track called In Love which was voiced by Shatner. Brilliant song.

Shatner does a great cover of Pulp's "Common People" on his newest album. It's not better than the original but it's good.

The great thing about Shatner is that he has a sense of humor about himself.

Aug 17, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #180 of 194
I'm pretty fond of Madeleine Peyroux's cover of Elliott Smith's 'Between the Bars.' If you're at all a fan of Elliott's, i'd recommend checking it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back