Best and Worst Remake of Song:
Oct 22, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #136 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by intlplby
hands down winner:

Joey Ramone's cover of Louis Armstrong's "what a wonderful world"

THANK YOU! Funny how the Ramones did a lot of really good covers. Have you Ever Seen the Rain being probably my favorite.

Some of my fav's
Motley Crüe- Anarchy in the UK (shrugs, i just really liked it)
Metallica- Last Caress/ Green Hell (with the good comes the bad, see worst)
Devo- Satisfaction
RHCP- Higher Ground
The Aquabats- Knowledge (LOL, around a campfire even!)
Faith No More- War Pigs
KISS- Rock and Roll Radio (The version the Ramones SHOULD have recorded)
Marilyn Manson- The KKK Took My Baby Away (Which is odd since i'm not a big fan of Marilyn)
Actually, a lot of the somngs on the Ramones tribute are really good, but there ARE exceptions...

WORST
Metallica -53rd and 3rd (Absolutely horrendous, crime against humanity)
others that have already been mentioned here plus others which i'll remember at a later time.

Decay

Oct 22, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #137 of 194
Worst remakes:
Any Ronan Keating remake... he's turning bad covers into an art form. Those of you who don't know who he is, all the more power to you
biggrin.gif

And I have the biological need to dispute Jamie Cullum's frontin'. That's just... that's the Austin Allegro of covers.

There are many good and great covers, but right now this one comes to mind: Sinead O'Connor doing Elton John's Sacrifice.

Edit: Frou Frou's rendition of Holding Out For A Hero - but that's mainly because I quite enjoy Imogen Heap
eggosmile.gif

Oct 22, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #138 of 194
Some of the Best Covers: (too many really)
Willie Nelson -- Graceland
Frank Sinatra -- My Way, New York, Night and Day, White Christmas (after Bing's original recording)
Judy Collins -- In My Life
The Byrds -- Tambourine Man
Whitney Houston -- I will Always Love You
James Taylor-- You've Got a Friend
Bobby Darin -- Mack the Knife ( He aint no Lotte Lenya, but...)

Some of the Worst Covers:
Joan Baez -- The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down
Julio Yglesias -- To All the Girls I've Loved Before (ycch!)
Guy Pastor -- Alice's Restaurant (truly pitiful)
Carol King -- Will you Still Love Me tomorrow? (she may have written it, but as a torch song, it comes nowhere close to the Phil Spector produced original)
Something -- Frank Sinatra (He may have described it as the greatest love song ever written, but he shouldn't have covered it.)
Bobby Darin -- Mack the Knife (He ain't no Lotte Lenya, but...)

Best Remakes:
any of Weird Al yankovic's parodies

Oct 22, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #139 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by leon
Worst remakes:
Any Ronan Keating remake... he's turning bad covers into an art form.

For a second, I read: Ronan Tynan (one of the Irish Tenors). His cover of "God Bless America," heard at almost every important Yankee game, turns Berlin's energetic morale-builder into a funeral dirge.

Oct 25, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #141 of 194
Anything by Celine Dion should be used exclusively to gain intelligence from unwilling detainees. In fact, Celine Dion single handedly made me reassess my view of all Canadians.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #142 of 194
Forgive me if these have been mentioned, but I did not read all 6 pages of this thread.

A couple of my favorites...

I love the Cardigans version of "Ironman."

Snake River Conspiracy has a cool cover of The Cure's "Lovesong"

I don't know about Bad ones, but everybody seems to cover "How Soon is Now" by the Smiths and "Little Wing" by Jimi Hendrix. Some good, some not so good.

Nov 5, 2004 at 9:44 PM Post #143 of 194
it's been mentioned before (but not enough) - my fave is Jeff Buckley's cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah". John Cale's is a close second.

a few others:

The Clash - "I Fought the Law and the Law Won"

T-Bone Burnett doing Tom Waits' "Time"

Don Dixon doing John Hiatt's "Love Gets Strange"

and

Marti Jones' cover of Peter Holsapple's "Follow You All Over The World"

I've blocked out all bad covers.

Nov 5, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #144 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I was rooting around my old music when I found Aztec Camera's cover of "Jump" by Van Halen. Real chill version, worth a laid back look.

There are a couple of versions of this cover. One without the Velvet Underground feedback noise part at the end, which is what I really liked about this cover to begin with.

Nov 6, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #145 of 194
worst:
Melanie -- 'Those Were the Days' (if anyone knows who first recorded it, i'll buy you a beer next time you're in the state)

best:
Talking Heads -- 'Take me to the River' (The Name of this Band.... version)

Nov 6, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #146 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert
worst:
Melanie -- 'Those Were the Days' (if anyone knows who first recorded it, i'll buy you a beer next time you're in the state)

I believe it was first recorded by Mary Hopkin on Apple Records in 1968 and knocked "Hey Jude" out of the #1 spot.

Nov 6, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #147 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by timoteus
I believe it was first recorded by Mary Hopkin on Apple Records in 1968 and knocked "Hey Jude" out of the #1 spot.

doH!!!!!!

worst:

Mary Hopkin -- "those were the days"

etc, etc, and so forth (did Melanie actually record it??? Melanie, Mary, what's the difference?? just a girl singer with a bad voice
lambda.gif
)

and no, Mary's not the answer. wasn't a girl. 1968 was a re-make.

Jan 8, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #148 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Is the vocalist Yamatsuka Eye on Crack or what?

Dunno. Yamatsuka performs on John Zorn's Naked City. For my listening collection, I'd been looking for some high energy noise. So, this CD includes a few short songs that fit such a requirement. (I think I only need one CD like this in my collection.) FWIW, the best part is Yamatsuka's vocals.

Jan 8, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #149 of 194
the worst cover ever is Bono's version of Hallelujah. The best is Jeff Buckley's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #150 of 194
Worst = Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb (HOW COULD THEY)

Best = The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Enter Sandman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back