Best and Worst Remake of Song:
Jul 14, 2004 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 194

chan130

100+ Head-Fier
There are a lot of cover/remake songs out there... many are enjoyable, others excruciatingly BAD.

best: Girl Versions CD - Emm Gryner (grand piano, cello and her voice)
worst: Back in Black - Shakira Live (completely butchers AC/DC classic)

Jul 14, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 194
My favorite is "No Quarter" by Tool, originally by Led Zeppelin. And the worst definately goes to Limp Bizkit for the horrendous "Behind Blue Eyes" cover.

edited for eyeteeth...I was listening to Pink Floyd when I typed that up, I feel ashamed now
redface.gif

Jul 14, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
My favorite is "No Quarter" by Tool, originally by Pink Floyd.

'No Quarter' is a Led Zeppelin song.

I'll say it for you:

[size=xx-large]D'oh!!![/size]

Jul 14, 2004 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
First one that comes to mind as a great re-do is Megadeth's version of the Black Sabbath classic "Paranoid."

Megadeth's version of Sabbath's "Never Say Die" is good too.

Jul 14, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 194
Hmm, Best remake - I remember in high school i really liked 10,000 Maniacs version of Peace Train. But then Natalie Merchant found out that Cat Stevens is now Yusef Islam and agreed with the Death Jihad put on Salman Rushdie. So she now refuses to ever sing it again. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

Worst - any version of "Tom's Diner" that isn't the original acapella. I've heard 15 versions, all horrible.

Jul 14, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
My favorite is "No Quarter" by Tool, originally by Pink Floyd. And the worst definately goes to Limp Bizkit for the horrendous "Behind Blue Eyes" cover.

"No Quarter" is my favorite song of all time. I have never heard the Tool version. What album is it on? The original "No Quarter" was a Led Zeppelin song though. [Houses of the Holy]
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by chan130
REALLY BAD!!! - http://www.farpointstation.org/files...h_Diamonds.mp3 ... [William Shatner - Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds] to boldly go where no man has gone before!

I really think that his cover of Rocket Man by Elton John was worse. You haven't lived until you've seen the spoof Family Guy did on his performance.

The first song that comes to mind as being a good cover was that David Bowie song that Nirvana covered on MTV Unplugged. "Man Who Sold the World"?

Jul 14, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
"No Quarter" is my favorite song of all time. I have never heard the Tool version. What album is it on?

Salival Amazon link

They do a brilliant interpretation btw. Better than the original? Maybe.

Jul 14, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 194
One of my many favorite remakes is Johnny Cash's version of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails. A song with tons of feeling adapted into his own style and his unique situation. Make sure to see the video to get the complete experience though

Jul 14, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #15 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by stromie
One of my many favorite remakes is Johnny Cash's version of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails. A song with tons of feeling adapted into his own style and his unique situation. Make sure to see the video to get the complete experience though

blink.gif

Sorry, for some reason I saw your name and wondered if I had posted twice.
tongue.gif

Good pick though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back