Best amps for the Grado GS1000/i - The Repository
May 1, 2009 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Chikolad

500+ Head-Fier
Those of us who have or had experience with the GS1K know that these cans are quite picky when it comes to amps they will shine with.
With these, the choice of amp can make or break one's listening experience and no wonder many of the people who tried them were disappointed in light of the praising reviews.

This thread's goal is to list those amps that really complement the GS1000 in hope that it will help head-fiers find the best match for their cans.

I'll start with the ones I've been recommended:
Grace Design m902 - m902 reference headphone amplifier
Eddie Current Zana Deux - Zana Deux
Yoshino The EAR HP4
Amity HPA4S - HPA4S headphone amplifier, silver housing!
HeadRoom Desktop Max Module
Musical Fidelity X-Can v8 (pretty good sound for a budget price) - Welcome to Musical Fidelity

Those of you who know about more good combinations are welcome to share their knowledge!

May 1, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chikolad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those of us who have or had experience with the GS1K know that these cans are quite picky when it comes to amps they will shine with.
With these, the choice of amp can make or break one's listening experience and no wonder many of the people who tried them were disappointed in light of the praising reviews.

This thread's goal is to list those amps that really complement the GS1000 in hope that it will help head-fiers find the best match for their cans.

I'll start with the ones I've been recommended:
Grace Design m902 - m902 reference headphone amplifier
Eddie Current Zana Deux - Zana Deux
Yoshino The EAR HP4
Amity HPA4S - HPA4S headphone amplifier, silver housing!
HeadRoom Desktop Max Module
Musical Fidelity X-Can v8 (pretty good sound for a budget price) - Welcome to Musical Fidelity

Those of you who know about more good combinations are welcome to share their knowledge!

Simple...Grado RA1 amp...ideal for Grado headphones.

May 1, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 20
The Stello HP100 sounds excellent with my GS1000's ...

I'm not sure whether to attribute this to the Stello amp or the Havana DAC that I'm feeding it with ... but the sound is excellent.

www.hifi500.com

May 1, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simple...Grado RA1 amp...ideal for Grado headphones.

From what I heard it is ideal for Grado headphones, except the GS1000 (and now probably the PS1000). It was designed for the RS1 and some say not powerful enough to bring the best out of the GS1000.

May 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 20
Singlepower PPX3 (6cg7) and up work very well.

Also, the Woo6.

May 1, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 20
I'll vote for the setup in my signature as "Primary". I can't say I've heard them with another amp besides the Gilmore Lite, but the WA6SE Maxxed w/Sophia driving the GS1000i is heaven. The 840C seems to feed the chain in a wonderful fashion.

I'll put my flame suit on and say that the Heimdall ICs really did something wonderful as well. Of course, cables make no difference at all...

The Woo amp is also doing amazing things with my other 'phones as well...especially the 325is'. Woo and Grado...maybe a wonderful match? Makes me want to hear some vintage RS1's with the Woo...

Cheers!

May 2, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chikolad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I heard it is ideal for Grado headphones, except the GS1000 (and now probably the PS1000). It was designed for the RS1 and some say not powerful enough to bring the best out of the GS1000.

Is the GS1000 less efficient than the RS1?

May 2, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't have to knowledge to answer that question, but for one thing, the drivers in the GS1000 are further from the ear so that alone is a factor.
I'm guessing there's more than that.

May 2, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not in my experience - John said he used the RA-1 to design the GS-1000 BUT - the bass could be tighter than what it is with the RA-1. I don't know how or why that would be. My Melos SHA-1 keeps things much tighter than the RA-1, but I wouldn't say the RA-1 sounds like it's lacking current if that makes any sense.

May 2, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 20
After the many amps I tried with the GS1000s, the AT-HA5000 came out on top. Everything sounded just a smidge tighter, clearer, and cleaner than other high end amps I tried. However, it did nothing to counteract the sibilance from poor quality recordings that the GS1000s seemed to slightly exaggerate. I was never able find an amp that was able to do that to my satisfaction. The only thing I found for that was to be sure to listen to them at moderate to low volumes or with very well recorded material.

May 2, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 20
My Yamamoto works great with GS1000. It's tube give it a lush and warm mid.

I believe synergy of all the components play the biggest part rather than just the amp. Matching is everything.

May 2, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #14 of 20
RA1 does the job. Agreed the Woo 6 is a joy, and the Yamamoto is apparently a nice match.

Not that Ive heard it but wasnt the PS Audio GCHA suppose to be a strong performer ?

May 2, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #15 of 20
Adding what I picked up from another thread:
Darkvoice 337se - Darkvoice earphone amplifier THA 336 332 337 FIGARO Liangyinfang Workroom
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back