Best amp to listen to vinyl records using AKG 701 headphone?
Feb 22, 2011 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

vanbasten6247

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I know there have been similar threads since I've read a bunch of them, all of them very helpful but at the same time they do add more doubts when it comes to make a decision. That's why I'm asking you, I rely on your generosity and knowledge 
L3000.gif
 in order to finally buy the "right" amp. I'm saying the "right" amp because I had a Project HeadBox II SE and although had plenty of power to drive the AKG's while listening to cd's I had to turn the volume knob to the max to have almost the same output when listened to vinyl compared to cd's (less than half a volume), besides I didn't like the sound (both, cd's and vinyl). I had it connected to the tape out from my main amp.

What do I want and what do I have? I want a decent sounding headphone amp able to move my 701's while listening to vinyl without the need of squeezing it until the last drop. I have up to 900 $ to spend. 
atsmile.gif

Thanks to all of you in advance for your attention, and extra thanks for your kind advice, tips and answers. Best regards.

p.s.: Sorry if my english is not so good. Regards.

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 21
Suppose you probably have phono pre, so for that kind of money I would suggest something from Violectric for more relaxed sound and Lake People G100 for wire with gain and no fancy enclosure. They are powerful amps with gain settings and rated very good with akg k70X, known it can power with ease any headphone that you can get in the future.

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 21
No, I don't have a separate phono preamp. I have an old amp with an integrated phono stage, a Sansui AU-X1, and I'm afraid I'm not getting another one since I do really love the sound that comes out from this amp. In any case thanks a lot for your taking time to reply. Best regards. 

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 21
No, I don't have a separate phono preamp. I have an old amp with an integrated phono stage, a Sansui AU-X1, and I'm afraid I'm not getting another one since I do really love the sound that comes out from this amp. In any case thanks a lot for your taking time to reply. Best regards. 

You can connect Sansui over preamp out to a headphone amp.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
 Interesting! How does it sound?

It sounds fantastic to my ears.  Most say the E9 is a very neutral amp and won't add anything to your headphone that isn't already there.  I thought for 129 I would give it a try and I was very impressed for the price.  I sold my Bellari VP130 tube amp I had been using for vinyl after using the E9 for a few weeks.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
Quote:

You can connect Sansui over preamp out to a headphone amp.

Thanks a lot for the tip, I'll try that with my future amp.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Suppose you probably have phono pre, so for that kind of money I would suggest something from Violectric for more relaxed sound and Lake People G100 for wire with gain and no fancy enclosure. They are powerful amps with gain settings and rated very good with akg k70X, known it can power with ease any headphone that you can get in the future.

Thanks! I'll check them out.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 21
Have any of you tried the Burson Audio that is advertised here (the HA-160, not the 160D). Seems like it's a powerful yet good sounding amp, is it? Thank you for all your comments, now I feel I'm going somewhere.
L3000.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
Thanks! Are you using a separate phono stage or an integrated amp to connect the head amp? Any advice to where to adquire this device?
bigsmile_face.gif

At the moment I'm using the phono stage in my Pioneer VSX-455 AVR and then line out to the E9.  I'm still trying to decide which separate phono stage to buy, I'm leaning toward the Cambridge 640p.

You can find the E9 at Micca Store here or at Amazon here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back