Best amp for Shure SRH-840
Feb 21, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 8
I had the iBasso D10, and it does go well with SRH840, but I would only recommend it if you travel with it; Desktop amp is a better way to go if you aren't require portable.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 8
I'm also looking for my first headphone amp. I got my Shure's three days ago and from what I read they can really benefit from one. Since this will be my first amp I've ordered a Fiio E5 just to give me some idea what's achievable. For £20 I can't really go wrong. I hope. In the other mega thread on the Shure's the iBasso D10 certainly gets plenty of recommendations just like lxxl above.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 8
I don't have the 840s but I do know that the little dot I+ goes great with low impedance headphones and has an unbeatable price. You should look into it

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 8
I have a LD 1+ and shure 840's that are brand new. So far so good. The sound is a definite step up from the senn HD238's I've been using. If I had it to do again on the amp front, I think I'd go LD MKII or MKIII, all tube. My 1+ is great considering the price, but I'm still chasing that silky smooth, liquid tube sound.

May 4, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 8
I received my E5 and it's made a big difference to the sound. It seems to have put more meat on the bones, so to speak. What's since made an even bigger difference was installing Rockbox on my iAudio D2. Wow! I didn't expect it to make so much difference to the sound but I'm hearing details I've never spotted before, on albums I've had for years.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #7 of 8
I have a Shure SRH840 completely burned now(for a long time now actually..), and the FiiO E5 did not bring much more to it to be honest. It is some kind of solution that attracts new comers into the high listening world, and from the word amp, it just has the name of it..

I am trying to know whether the ibasso d4 Mamba would perform well with it? Did anyone have the occasion to try/use it?? Otherwise, are there other options more price/effective? or a little bit more expensive but well-worthy?

Thank you in advance.

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Try the mini3...is a nice amp for the price. 
It could drive the 840's easily. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back