Best amp for RS1i
Oct 9, 2010 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jTizMLG

100+ Head-Fier
looking for the perfect match amp for the Grado RS1i. i know that there are $5000 amps but what i mean by "best" and "perfect" is an amp that goes with the RS1i like bacon and eggs.

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 21
Three posts, and three different recomendations:  Mine's the PS Audio headamp.  I've had, in the past (or present), the Raptor, MPX3, Canamp, EC/01, EC/SS, and a few others and my choice for any Grado was always the GCHA.

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 21
Well... if you read all the related posts on Headfi... you'll find:

1.  The Melos does mate best with the Grados... but... it's long out of production, harder to find used... and... will require maintenance.

2.  The next best alternative... according to virtually all reviews and posts... is the MAD EAR+, or the variations... and... it's current production... and... require little, if any, maintenance.  And... the difference in the SQ between it and the Melos is reportedly "nuanced," at best. 

Thus, the only practical alternative is...

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 21
Subscribed to this thread. Although I have no knowledge of this, am looking for a cheaper 200~400$ amp for my own RS1i. Waiting for updates from senior users, while from what I've read, these seem to love tubes.

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 21
I just got pricing, it's a little more than I wanted to spend, (Ear+ HD), but any comments on synergy with the D7000's?

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Maple Tree Ear+ HD

X2 for me....absolutely magical pairing. I even prefer it to the Melos (which is also a fantastic amp).

The RA1 is a nice CMOYish amp in a beautiful wooden case and sound good with the RS1i's, though severely over priced.

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
looking for the perfect match amp for the Grado RS1i. i know that there are $5000 amps but what i mean by "best" and "perfect" is an amp that goes with the RS1i like bacon and eggs.

I'm puzzled by posts and threads you have started in the past. Today you bumped this thread you started where you asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTizMLG here
im getting the audio gd fun and was wondering what grado is worthy. im having trouble deciding between the SR80i=$100, SR125i=$150, and the SR225i=$200. i mostly listen to rock music.

Later in that thread you mention deciding between the 225s and 325. Why not just use your RS1i you listed as owning in your similarly entitled thread RS1i amp NEED HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTizMLG   here

my setup is:

Headphone: Grado RS1i

Dac: Audio gd Reference 5 (using usb)

Amp: Audio gd Roc (connected with ACSS)

Heck why didnt you just bump that thread instead of starting this new one asking a similar question?

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:

I'm puzzled by posts and threads you have started in the past. Today you bumped this thread you started where you asked

Later in that thread you mention deciding between the 225s and 325. Why not just use your RS1i you listed as owning in your similarly entitled thread RS1i amp NEED HELP!!!

Heck why didnt you just bump that thread instead of starting this new one asking a similar question?

im not the only one who uses this account. there is a total of 4 different people and we all share are equipment every now and then. sorry if all the different threads confused you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back