Best AMP for K7XXs
Aug 7, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #31 of 62
It will work with 32 Ohms headphones, It just won't be as enjoyable as it would be with higher impedance headphones. It's not because an amp is rated at a given impedance that it'll sound good.
The Valhalla also says it works with high sensitivity, low impedance headphones. I don't know what the average sensitivity is, so I don't know if the K7XXs meet that description. Do you know of any fully tube amps that are not otl?

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #32 of 62
The Valhalla also says it works with high sensitivity, low impedance headphones. I don't know what the average sensitivity is, so I don't know if the K7XXs meet that description. Do you know of any fully tube amps that are not otl?
I know Woo audio has a bunch, they're just completely in another price league. The thing is that adding an output transformer to a full tube amp is expensive...

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #34 of 62
Jesus that's expensive! Is there anything else? How about amps that are hybrid but rely more on the tube?
The Lyr 2 has stellar reviews, the Little dot 1+ should theoretically be more tubey although I haven't tried it.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #36 of 62
Do you think the Lyr would be a good choice? Sorry to keep asking, but is their a middle ground (under 350, above 200)? If I did bite the bullet and go with the Lyr, would you recommend just tubes or tube+ss?
It's $450 though... But yeah, it's an amazing amp. I'm not a fan of the LISST (they're good, but the Lyr and the Mjolnir sound soooo much better with tubes) so IMO you could just skip it for now and put the money on a better pair of tubes.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #37 of 62
Have you ever heard a tube amp much less a really good tube amp? I think you listen to Z reviews too much. He is a total moron. The vali 2 is a great amp and is a great amp for tube rolling. The tubes affect the sound a great deal.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #38 of 62
Have you ever heard a tube amp much less a really good tube amp? I think you listen to Z reviews too much. He is a total moron. The vali 2 is a great amp and is a great amp for tube rolling. The tubes affect the sound a great deal.
Z really liked the Vali 2 though

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #41 of 62
I thought he said it wasn't really a tube amp
He's right on one thing, there's only so much voltage you can have go through a single tube so the "tubiness" is limited by that fact, but as chef said, it's still a great entry-level amp into the world of tubes.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #42 of 62
Wish there was a drop on the lyr tho :frowning2:
Never gonna happen, Schiit's business model is to sell every single unit at the same price. There are never drops on Schiit products

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #43 of 62
Never gonna happen, Schiit's business model is to sell every single unit at the same price. There are never drops on Schiit products
How Warm is the VALI 2? Z said you didn't get much warmth bc of the lack of reliance on the tubes. Also, ss would be fine if it warmed up the cold, analytical edge of the K7XXs, so suggestions on those would be welcome as well.

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #44 of 62
Bottom
How Warm is the VALI 2? Z said you didn't get much warmth bc of the lack of reliance on the tubes. Also, ss would be fine if it warmed up the cold, analytical edge of the K7XXs, so suggestions on those would be welcome as well.
As I said, it'll depend a lot on the tube you use. I'm not sure Z rolled the tube so if he just used the default one it might explain the lack of warmth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back