Best amp for hd 650 under $500
Oct 18, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 22
im new to this world and don,t know much but i do know that my headphone amp the 'ibasso mamba d4'' is pritty good against
''Lehmann Audio Black Cube'' which is about 660 pounds so i think its pritty good not as clear as the cube but it can deffaintly power the hd 650s and is in your budget.

its a great little amp and doesn,t colour the sound and keeps all the detail.

i have this setup and i love it!

hope that helps
smile_phones.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
im new to this world and don,t know much but i do know that my headphone amp the 'ibasso mamba d4'' is pritty good against
''Lehmann Audio Black Cube'' which is about 660 pounds so i think its pritty good not as clear as the cube but it can deffaintly power the hd 650s and is in your budget.

its a great little amp and doesn,t colour the sound and keeps all the detail.

i have this setup and i love it!

hope that helps
smile_phones.gif

Though the iBasso D4 is a great little amp, it is not in the same league is top home equipment. If you want a decent transportable rig, then you may want to consider the D4, otherwise stick with true home equipment.

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 22
I have to put my vote in for the Yulong D100. I have this set-up, and comparing it against most of the stuff I have heard, it performs extremely. Keep in mind, though the D100 is only $450, shipping is another $40-$50. See here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/yulong-d100/reviews#4045

That about sums up my experience.

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 22
Maybe a Matrix-M Stage?  It's about half your budget and it sounds great.  It would leave you enough for a dac too.!
smile_phones.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
Maybe a Matrix-M Stage?  It's about half your budget and it sounds great.  It would leave you enough for a dac too.!
smile_phones.gif

The Matrix M-Stage is a great amp (FWIR, I have heard the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, not the M-Stage). However, since the OP has $500 to spend, I still recommend the Yulong D100. The amp section of the D100 is excellent and on-par with the M-Stage (again, in comparison with Black Cube). The D100 also includes an excellent DAC section.

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 22
I would stick with the HDP as the amp section synergises with the HD650 well and it has a good DAC. If you don't need the DAC and want a better amp, check out the Burson HA-160. It costs a little more than your budget, but it was designed for and tested with the HD650 with very good results.

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #10 of 22
NuForce HDP owners seem to like it with the HD650. Don't endorse the idea but with the HDP you can buy it from Amazon, try it and if it's not to your liking you can return it. That's another thing the HDP has going for it.

Also, the Matrix M-Stage is liked by many and is designed (almost a clone) around the Lehmann Black Cube (which sells for upwards of $800) and costs about $260, little less used when it comes up. There's the option of opamp rolling with it too.
Lengthy thread on it: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/475618/matrix-m-stage-amp-review-simple-cheap-and-excellent

There's also the Lovely Cube (almost a direct Lehman clone) as well and sells for $245 I think.

Then there's Woo Audio (tube based) and DIY stuff like the M^3.

The Burson HA-160 costs more but is very well liked with the HD650 from what I've read. These are just to name a few. You can do a search and find much more, the HD650 gets asked about a lot.

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 22
Do you want an Amp or a DAC/AMP.  If you want an Amp, you should look at the Schiit Asgard. Its getting lots of positive reviews, and I read somewhere that it has a particular synergy with the HD650's. You could use the rest of your cash to buy a nice separate DAC.

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #12 of 22
OTL Tube amps are a very popular choice for the HD 650. I've got the Little Dot MK IV SE, and it sounded fabulous for the short time I had it with the HD 650. Unfortunately it developed a fault and had to go back to the manufacturer, but I can't wait to get it back.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 22
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Dot-MK-IV-4-SE-Headphone-Tube-Amplifier-Pre-Amp-/190666984465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c64a34c11

I absolutely love this amp with my 650's! Personally I use the Mullard M8161 (EF92) tubes. It comes with Mullard M8100 tubes; which by all means is an excellent tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back