best amp/dac for grados
Mar 17, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #31 of 35
I cast my vote on Beresford 7520 DAC + headamp, it's stock signature is close to the one of grados but what's really great is that you can tune the sound to your liking by using different opamps. It's a very simple operation and needs next to none electrical skills.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #32 of 35
Digging up an old thread here but has anyone's opinions changed about the previously listed DACs and amps? I have a pair of SR325is coming but may return them and get some headphones with the Magnum V4s instead so I am looking into getting a good DAC and possibly an amp. I am thinking of getting the Schiit Bifrost and Asgard combo or either NuForce Icon HDP. The price point is good for me. $500-600 range for both amp and dac.

Thanks

Dec 27, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #33 of 35
Tubes love Grados.  That's what I noticed.  But my old 125i's sounded pretty darn phat out of my old Burson, too. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #35 of 35
Tubes love Grados.

It is not necessarilly that tubes and Grados go together, it is that Grados do best with an amplifier that has an output impedance higher than 0. To my ear, anywhere from 6 to 15 ohms seems to do pretty well. Tube amps, particularly transformer coupled tube amps, often have an output impedance in this range which is why the combination often works well. There are very few solid state amps that this is the case for as they tend to have a feedback loop that lowers the impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back