Best all-rounder for ~$300 new or used?
Nov 6, 2014 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

AndroidVageta

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking to upgrade from my Altone200's as I'd like something with a little less simblance (I seriously had to tone down the high end on my equalizer to keep some notes and singers from "hissing") and more natural bass. 

The Altone200's are pretty good equalized but they needed a good bit of it.

What I'm basically looking for is great bass with sub-bass ability and great extension (think nice home theater subwoofer here) with great smooth mids and sparkling clear extended highs without simblance (or at least not as easy to reach).

I don't mind buying new or used so my options are pretty open for my $300-350 price range.

I'm thinking of the following:

Sony MDR-EX1000 (something tells me I'd love these)
Noble 4
Westone 4R
SM64
FX850
???

Now I've owned the following higher-end buds if it helps:

Altone200
RE-400
ER4S
UE900
TF18's (TF10x3 custom)

I know sound is very subjective so any insight is appreciated!

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 22
Maybe have a look at the sony xba-a3 ... Might suit you well

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 22
Maybe it would be of help if you could explain a bit more more about what you liked/disliked about the previous earphones you've tried.

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 22
Maybe it would be of help if you could explain a bit more more about what you liked/disliked about the previous earphones you've tried.

Well...I got rid of them all if that tells you anything! :p

Altone200 - Too little natural bass, required too much EQ, highs could be too harsh and simblant. 
RE-400 - Lack of over all detail. Too warm.
ER4S - Lack of natural bass and sound stage. 
UE900 - Been awhile since I owned these but I remember them sounding too warm...not bright enough. 
TF18's (TF10x3 custom) - Actually loved these! Sold them to get a full-sized pair of can's and regret it to this day. 

Like I said in the OP...I love my bass. Basshead like bass but tight and accurate with plenty of sub-bass and extension. I also like to have my cake and eat it too when it comes to the mids and highs. I like something crisp, bright, sparkling while maintaining great and smooth mids.

It's a tall order I know but there's a lot out there!

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #7 of 22

Sure. I felt that both Dunus had better bass than the Altones especially in the sub bass region.. Although the Altones had better clarity in the highs than the Dunus.  I felt that sibilance was more of an issue for the Altones. I felt that both Dunus were better on soundstage as well. I made a few more comparisons in my review of the Altones. Overall, I feel like the Altones were on the same tier as the Dunu DN-1000s but for me anyway the 2000s are just on another level.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 22
Maybe have a look at the sony xba-a3 ... Might suit you well

Probably not better than the Altone based on reviews, and definitely not better than the UE900. I had one for a few months and it was very fun but only worth about the $75-100 asking price.

AndroidVegeta, I feel the DN-2000 is also a good place to start, but haven't gotten one yet. I had the EX600 for a few months and it's said to be similar to the EX1000 just not as refined, and I thought the EX600 was world class. Also a good contender.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 22

Probably not better than the Altone based on reviews, and definitely not better than the UE900. I had one for a few months and it was very fun but only worth about the $75-100 asking price.

AndroidVegeta, I feel the DN-2000 is also a good place to start, but haven't gotten one yet. I had the EX600 for a few months and it's said to be similar to the EX1000 just not as refined, and I thought the EX600 was world class. Also a good contender.

Yeah? See...I've always had a thing for Sony. The EX-1000 is just that headphone that I've always wanted but just never got. Reviews seem to be pretty damn good too when it comes to an all-rounder. Bass seems to be great as well as mids and that sparkling treble I so want. 

However, having said that, I'm trying not to let the glitz and glamour of the EX-1000's get to me and want to see my other options before jumping on them just because of what they are. 

That and I have this feeling that it NOT having any armature drivers will somehow make the sound not as clear or refined. 

So the XBA-A3's can be completely omitted then? You aren't thinking of the H3's correct?

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #10 of 22
  Yeah? See...I've always had a thing for Sony. The EX-1000 is just that headphone that I've always wanted but just never got. Reviews seem to be pretty damn good too when it comes to an all-rounder. Bass seems to be great as well as mids and that sparkling treble I so want. 

However, having said that, I'm trying not to let the glitz and glamour of the EX-1000's get to me and want to see my other options before jumping on them just because of what they are. 

That and I have this feeling that it NOT having any armature drivers will somehow make the sound not as clear or refined. 

So the XBA-A3's can be completely omitted then? You aren't thinking of the H3's correct?

Oh, woops, I didn't even see that lowercase a for the XBA-A3 model number in the post I quoted. I was actually talking the whole time about the XBA-3/30.

http://iannine.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/sony-xba-31.jpg

Also, the EX600 I had definitely didn't lack on clarity. I actually have no good reason why I sold it, it was perfect for the price I paid (about $125). This was over 2 years ago and I guess I didn't know any better
etysmile.gif

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #14 of 22
I just pulled the trigger on the EX-1000. Someone on Amazon had them for a very nice price ($299 Sony Refurb) so I went a head and pulled the trigger. 

Sitting here listening to my cheap Carbo Tenore with their $40 price tag and 5.8mm driver and realized that single dynamic can be pretty awesome. So with a 16mm driver...yeah...the Sony's should be bad ass.

If I don't like them I suppose I can always return them or sell them, so no lose either way. Dunu DN-2000's will be next on my list though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back