Best Aftermarket Cable for the Sennheiser HD 650
Jan 4, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #31 of 41
I just received Senns HD414 and the stock cable is terrible (same plugs as HD650). While I tend to be more objectivist in audio, in this case cable could be the culprit of rather mid-range-y sound.
With whopping 11.5Ohm in resistance and 160pF capacitance over all three terminals, this cable likely measures wrong even in audible range.

Best idea is to design & make your own cables, as you can be sure there's no snake oil anywhere and it's for the best price.
HD414 will get dual twisted pair Van Damme's 22AWGs with silver core, for total price of 10€.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 4, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #32 of 41
Moon Audio silver Dragon gave new life to my 650s. Any cable from Moon Audio will be well built and will last your lifetime.  I just recently got a pair of Oppo PM-1s and ordered a Norne Solv X cable for them, to use with the balanced input of my Oppo HA-1 amp. I will try this cable with my 650s also, thanks to Norne's "Head Throne" adapter that will allow me to connect the PM-1 cable to the 650s and use the same balanced input on the HA-1. I like to fool around with cables and amps--I am a Cablecile.

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #33 of 41
Hi guys i live in dubai currently my im using sennHD650 graham slee vitager for amp and fiio x5 2nd gen. Do you know where i could buy good quality cable for my hd650? The stock ones are very long. Of you can suggest and give me an idea on how much for the cables? Thank in advance!

Jun 12, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #34 of 41
I'm looking at replacing the cables on my HD580s for one simple reason - they are too friggin long. I thought that while I'm doing that I might see if I can get something that might significantly improve the sound but from the tenor of this thread I'd probably be dreaming.

That said, when I put put high quality speaker cable on my Peerless MK1000s a few years ago I (and others) could hear an appreciable difference. But that's for speaker cable which is much thicker and maybe this effects how the electrical signal is transferred. Headphone cables tend to be thin.

May 13, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #35 of 41
Bumping this thread... I'm also looking for cables for my HD650's. Any new suggestions??

May 16, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #36 of 41
Is there anything wrong with the stock? I got the stock from them every time I need to replace cables, for me or firends, they are very good. Sorry to break the news to you, but if you hear any difference is in your imagination, instead of changing the cable try improving the source, amp, or headphones....cables are the least of your problems....usually the main problem in audio is on the transducers, means headphones/speakers...

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #37 of 41
I have the HD650's. I upgraded from the stock cable to a Cardas for about $150 (now priced higher). The difference was subtle but definitely better. Maybe worth it if you can get them used for cheap. Would not pay the current prices for a new cable for an old model headphones.

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

No, you're not off base, at all. amp, source, and cables... all can do wonders to the final sound reaching your ears. absolute wonders. depends on the product. the trick part is to find the good stuff - and expensive doesn't always guarantee (though usually is) good - it's a mix of research, trial, and luck. websites like this are extremely useful for exchanging information (and empty your wallet), but ultimately one has to try for oneself. my experience is more to do with speaker cables than Headphones, as I've never re-cable a HP for reasons I rather not get into.

the ultimate speaker cables I bought not only are worth every cents I paid for... but it goes beyond cost... I find them to be an essential part to hear what the speakers are really capable of. absolutely essential. I cannot stress that enough. only DEATH can separate me from these cables. it's a fantastic product.

personally, if I was looking for an aftermarket cable, I'd probably get the Toxic's latest Silver Widow litz 25.5AWG (which is likely a knock off of the Piccolino), or maybe the Silver Poison 26AWG, or the Piccolino itself. don't know what Toxic's return policies are, but if it's in your budget, give it try, and if you don't like it, return it.
I really like this this part , the sincere honest truth : ....... "( ....and empty your wallet), "

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #39 of 41
I've had most aftermarket cables from bargain to crazy priced ones. The FAAEAL cables on Amazon are the best value, and transparent. The nicest, best quality feel and durability are Audiophileninja cables. Moon audio, Hart cables, they all sound the same if not defective. I've done enough volume matched blind testing to give up and just shop on price, quality, and looks. Youkamoo are really good too. The have new matte black ones, and I've got some of the 6.5 XLR and they're cool.

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #40 of 41
I got a Senn Momentum 4 wireless for my TV viewing.

I have read that Senn HD650 has been around for 20 years and many had praised its warm SQ and it was also a favourite with earphone addicts.
I was hesitant to go for it because it is OPEN Back which would disturb my spouse in her sleep next to me as I watch YOUTUBE in the night as many users had said the noise upstairs could be heard downstairs.

Mention had been made of the Senn HD650 had been around for 20 years and many had praised its warm SQ it was also a favourite with earphone addicts. As it can be used in the daytime and the price was affordable I had to have one so just a week ago I got one.

To my great surprise, my spouse could not hear the sound from my HD650 even though I had volume at 35 to 40 level. I am very pleased and glad I bought it. The sound is certainly much better than the Close Back Momentum 4 Wireless.

Now though the cable is 3 meters long it is too short to reach my TV which is 6.75 meters away in a U shape.

So I need another cable to extend and I am thinking of getting another stock cable from Sennheiser and sending it to a shop to do a termination for my purpose. The shortage of 0.75 meters I can take a shorter route.

Can anyone to advise if an extension would compromise on the sound?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back