Best Aftermarket Cable for the Sennheiser HD 650
Dec 17, 2012 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Greed

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

So I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s and I was wondering what you guys believe is the best aftermarket cable for them? I want something durable, that doesn't easily become tangled, and that doesn't look like crap. Obviously the most important reason why I made this thread is to know what cable will give my HD 650s new life. Whether it be punchier bass or a larger sound stage, I'd like to know your recommendations. Cost is not really an issue, but I don't want to be paying an arm and a leg for them, as I got my HD 650s for 325USD which is a STEAL imo. I'm still quite new to the audiophile world, but can appreciate the subtle differences when modding audio gear. If I am completely off base for believing that a cable replacement will give me better sound than please educate me! Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 41
When I did my cable testing I found neither the Cardas upgrade nor stock cable sounded any different.  I tested both the HD-600 and HD-650 and found this to be true.  I say save the money for a different headphone.  Perhaps something like the beyer DT990 ( 25 Ohm ).

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 41
A new cable is simply not worth the money. It will have either no impact on the sound, or virtually no impact on the sound. Neither of which are worth the money.

Spend the money on music, another headphone, concerts. Or, if you absolutely want to improve the sound quality of the music you are listening to with the 650s a good bottle of wine should do the trick.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 41
A new cable is simply not worth the money. It will have either no impact on the sound, or virtually no impact on the sound. Neither of which are worth the money.

Spend the money on music, another headphone, concerts. Or, if you absolutely want to improve the sound quality of the music you are listening to with the 650s a good bottle of wine should do the trick.

+1

Depending on your current amp that's something to consider upgrading as well. It'll have much more of an impact on what you're hearing than an aftermarket cable. But really, if you're looking to significantly "improve" the sound of your HD650 you should simply think about adding another headphone to your stable that has a different tonal signature than the Senn.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 41
Thanks for the replies so far, I'm learning a lot from both responses and PMs. Without getting into too much detail can someone explain to me theoretically what the difference is between occ copper cable, occ pure silver cable, and silver plated occ copper cable in terms of sound quality? I understand that this is a highly debatable topic, so I'm just trying to understand all there is to know. Thanks again!

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 41
It's basically just a big can of worms. IMO the only measurable things that differentiate cables are resistance and build quality. Copper and silver conduct electricity pretty much the same way. :D

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:
Hi All,

So I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s and I was wondering what you guys believe is the best aftermarket cable for them? I want something durable, that doesn't easily become tangled, and that doesn't look like crap. Obviously the most important reason why I made this thread is to know what cable will give my HD 650s new life. Whether it be punchier bass or a larger sound stage, I'd like to know your recommendations. Cost is not really an issue, but I don't want to be paying an arm and a leg for them, as I got my HD 650s for 325USD which is a STEAL imo. I'm still quite new to the audiophile world, but can appreciate the subtle differences when modding audio gear. If I am completely off base for believing that a cable replacement will give me better sound than please educate me! Thanks and Happy Holidays!

No, you're not off base, at all. amp, source, and cables... all can do wonders to the final sound reaching your ears. absolute wonders. depends on the product. the trick part is to find the good stuff - and expensive doesn't always guarantee (though usually is) good -  it's a mix of research, trial, and luck. websites like this are extremely useful for exchanging information (and empty your wallet), but ultimately one has to try for oneself. my experience is more to do with speaker cables than Headphones, as I've never re-cable a HP for reasons I rather not get into.

the ultimate speaker cables I bought not only are worth every cents I paid for... but it goes beyond cost... I find them to be an essential part to hear what the speakers are really capable of. absolutely essential. I cannot stress that enough. only DEATH can separate me from these cables. it's a fantastic product.

personally, if I was looking for an aftermarket cable, I'd probably get the Toxic's latest Silver Widow litz 25.5AWG (which is likely a knock off of the Piccolino), or maybe the Silver Poison 26AWG, or the Piccolino itself. don't know what Toxic's return policies are, but if it's in your budget, give it try, and if you don't like it, return it.

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 41
I used to have Enigma Oracle, Zu Mobius v1 and v2 cables.  All of them sounded better than the stock, music was brighter and faster with tighter bass.  Zu Mobius v2 was the best, vocal was more forward and the headphones didn't sound so dark with it.  The cables responded better to Ray Samuels HR-2 amplifier than Musical Fidelity X-Can v3.  Having said that, I wouldn't have bought those cables if I knew Sennheiser HD800 was coming, however part of this hobby is getting there.    

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 41
Lot's of people around here don't believe in after market cables...as you can tell from the responses. It sounds like you really want a new cable. I say get one!! While true, you won't see drastic changes in the signature, you can find a cable that will work for you. I love the super soft and flexible cables like Q audio and Norse. You can get the custom length you want and termination of your choice. And come on, it does look nice!!

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 41
Anyone looking to hear some incredible female vocals on the 650 looking no further. Try, Melody Gardot: My One and Only Thrill. This recording is mastered unbelievably well and this woman's voice comes through in a way that has to be heard to be appreciated. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 41
Thanks for all the responses guys, it's hard to decide whether or not I want to drop a couple hundred dollars on a cable when I can save that money and buy some LCD-2s in the new year. I love my HD 650s as an all around can, so I don't mind spending some extra money on them. The information that I have acquired via responses and pms have been most helpful. I'm still deciding and still not sure, I guess what would really change my indecisiveness would be if I could find great sounding and high quality cables for something sub 150$ (just the college kid talking right now). Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:
Anyone looking to hear some incredible female vocals on the 650 looking no further. Try, Melody Gardot: My One and Only Thrill. This recording is mastered unbelievably well and this woman's voice comes through in a way that has to be heard to be appreciated. 

x2 on the Melody Gardot. I'd also like to recommend Rebecca Pidgeon Retrospective on the Chesky label., beautiful voice well recorded and Mastered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back