Best Accurate, Detailed, Clear and Neutral Headphones $1K-5K
Jun 1, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #76 of 78
@KING DRANZER Those are 420 Ohm impedance headphones. That’s why some SS amps have trouble driving them. They don’t necessarily need lots of current, which is something that plenty of today’s SS amps do with ease.
I just think some amps match that 420 impedance better than others. Phonitor2 is one of those amps (representing SS fam. Other SPL amps use similar if not the same topology). Tube amps usually handle high impedance HP much better since they are voltage power devices.
Besides, not all tube amps “color” the “sound”. But yeah… Some can add desirable harmonics hence applications in pro-audio/mastering/mixing applications. And if you are not a fan, I understand.

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #77 of 78
@KING DRANZER Those are 420 Ohm impedance headphones. That’s why some SS amps have trouble driving them. They don’t necessarily need lots of current, which is something that plenty of today’s SS amps do with ease.
I just think some amps match that 420 impedance better than others. Phonitor2 is one of those amps (representing SS fam. Other SPL amps use similar if not the same topology). Tube amps usually handle high impedance HP much better since they are voltage power devices.
Besides, not all tube amps “color” the “sound”. But yeah… Some can add desirable harmonics hence applications in pro-audio/mastering/mixing applications. And if you are not a fan, I understand.
That HPA4 was easily able to power and handle ADX5000. The sound level on them was adjusted to what I listening other headphones at. I mean why would I listen to different headphones at different sound levels specially when I am comparing them. I would have agreed if the AMP was unable to power them and was not sufficient. But that not being the case and with delivery of cleanest output signal from AMP. It all comes down to how different headphone handles it and if the output is good then it is on Headphone and if it is bad it is also on Headphone.

Jun 1, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #78 of 78
I’m sure it could drive it. So could 789. Also THX based amp (certainly not in the same league but still regarded as going by “numbers” reference). To my ear, ADX5K never sounded great with those amp. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back