Best 9V battery for portable amps
Oct 24, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys know if Energizer rechargeable batteries are any good? Because Tysonic batteries shipping is like $15 to Canada.

The AAs I had awhile back weren't... I wouldn't buy them again.

I bought some Tenergy batteries (both 9V and AA) from an ebay vendor that I have been pretty happy with so far... maybe not the best, but they are cost effective.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #17 of 49
I have Energizers in aa and aaa and am slowly replacing them with others like Powerex, which is much better in life and quality and of course the eneloop which are great because you don't lose much charge. What good is 2500 or 2700 if it discharges after a couple of weeks or less to a point that they need to be recharged again? In a way the eneloop types last longer because the charge is there when you need it.

Oct 24, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also live aboard and recently brought the Codra 3Move, and have been looking up rechargable 9V lithium battery and charger too. I may not need this afterall, as I am thinking of changing direction and selling my 3Move as new, but here is one that apparantly ship to many countries:

Trew Audio - Batteries - iPower Battery / Charger Combo

Somewhere in the bowels of the amp forum there are posts about the Portaphile--"Portaphiles get no Love"--and ampong those pages is a post by Romanee I believe who orderred this charger and the LiPo batteries after being very disappointed with the LiPos and charger being sold by Thomas Industries

To the best of my knowledge, those who have ordred from Trew and used these LiPos with that charger are quite happy. A word, though: I believe Ray Samuels advises not to use LiPo batteries in his Hornet and SR-71 amp. Don't know why. But they worked in the Portaphile, which is why the topic appeared in that Portaphile thread.

Point is this: LiPo batteries are not for every portable amp and I'd check with the manufacturer before buying.

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys know if Energizer rechargeable batteries are any good? Because Tysonic batteries shipping is like $15 to Canada.

Not great, I'm afraid. And if you visit a brick-and-mortar store for the Energizer-branded "9V"-size rechargeable batteries, you'll find a lot of older 7.2V 150mAh versions of those batteries still in stock. (The currently-manufactured version of the Energizer-branded "9V"-size rechargeable batteries is rated at 8.4V and 170mAh.) And feeding only 7.2 Volts into an amp that's designed to run on the full 9 Volts will result in a noticeably degraded sound quality - thin and murky both at the same time.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #21 of 49
This is the 9v battery set-up I have for my SR-71:
CHP228C01.jpg

(2) 280mAh NiMh 9v batteries with recharger.

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To joneser/jamato...the Tysonics fit fine in the SR71A?

They do - and it's works really well to follow the advice that Ray posted in his MOT Sponsored Thread for the SR-71A:
Use finger pressure to press the rear panel against the rear edge of the case, and then turn down the rear-panel nuts until they just snug up to the already pressed-down rear panel. When the battery contacts in the amp are new, and resist the pressure, doing one side of the case at a time makes it pretty easy to do. It works great and avoids scraping the rear panel with the rear panel nut because there is no contact between the two until the nut is in place. Using finger pressure to press in the real panel a tiny bit before loosening the real panel nut avoids any scraping of the real panel when removing the batteries.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #25 of 49
I just got 4 of the iPower professional 520mah LiPo batteries... So far so good. It's tough to tell battery life in my headphone amp because of the long life with normal batteries. The real test will be in my wireless unit for IEM's on stage. That eats regular batteries in about 6 hours

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #26 of 49
Hi

Can you give some impressions on how the 520mah ipower pro batt performs on the SR71A?

OT: I had a really bad start of the week in work. But I was able to get hold of my SR71A the same day. I ended up on a spending spree. after reading impressions on how the type of battery changes the sound from the SR71a.I bought a pair of Tysonic Low Discharges and a pair or 520mah.
frown.gif
What's worse is I wont be receivng anyof them until late next week since it will be a long holiday here at SG for the Chinese New Year. ='(
Moral: don't buy anything on a bad day.
triportsad.gif

I just hope I didn't double my mistake on getting the iPower Pro 520 out of indulgence. I really want to see how good the SR71a can perform. Currently using Energizer Max Alkalines.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #28 of 49
Emailed Ray Samuels earlier today and asked about the Lithium Polymer rechargeables for use in the Hornet. His reply was:

"Charging circuit is designed to do only the battery that comes with the Hornet"

He also stated that the Lithium ion rechargeables will bake the charging circuit heat and blow (his words)

So I guess that settles that question regarding the Hornet. Don't know about the other amps that take 9v batteries

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Emailed Ray Samuels earlier today and asked about the Lithium Polymer rechargeables for use in the Hornet. His reply was:

"Charging circuit is designed to do only the battery that comes with the Hornet"

He also stated that the Lithium ion rechargeables will bake the charging circuit heat and blow (his words)

So I guess that settles that question regarding the Hornet. Don't know about the other amps that take 9v batteries

It actually makes sense as different types of batteries would have a different minimum voltage to charge it. Lit Ion batts do blow up if not used with a soecific charger for Lit Ions.
eek.gif

In a good and a bad way the SR71a doesn't have a charging circuit. So it is really a hit and miss thing.

Updated:
Any way I'm really new in the forum. I actually found the answer from the thread Jamato8 put up for the SR71a. heck it is even on the 1st page. Sorry for not having it found earlier. But using the search on the site is really a bit tricky for me. In any case in time I will figure it a all out.

CHEERS to Jamato8!!!
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #30 of 49
OK I'm confused. What do I want in a battery: one that has at least 9 volts--and I see some that have 9.4 or 9.6 volts--or battery that has higher MaH readings??? I see MaH all over the place from 200 to 300s. SO what's the difference?? Or will I really hear a difference among al the choices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back