Best 9V battery for portable amps
Jan 25, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #31 of 49
Whatever you do. Avoid GP Batteries 9V like a plague. The pair that I purchased sucks big time. Could only run like 1 hour pushing my PCM1793 DAC.
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by thejoneser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. I took Jamato8's advice and bought these for my SR-71A. Maybe not the longest battery life, but for sure the finest sounding 9V I've heard.

Good to know!

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to know!

interesting observation. Care to elaborate on the sonic qualities??

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #35 of 49
I wish we could start a database with the dimensions of each brand of 9V rechargeable battery.

I have a GoVibe Magnum, and most rechargeable 9V batteries I've tried will not fit because of width, and with my HeadSix, some 9V are a tad too short.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #36 of 49
Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio > For Sale / Trade Forums > For Sale / Trade (and Feedback) Forums > Cables, Speakers, Tweaks, Accessories For Sale / Trade
iPOWER 9 Volt 500mAh Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Batteries NEW
I am selling these because I sold my RSA Hornet and I purchased these
new from thomasvill Distribitor but never got to use them

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #37 of 49
Whatever is cheapest. Never noticed a difference between any of them. I even took a 10 year old 9v out of a set of walkitalkies that I had (Mitsubishi Heavy Duty Expiry June 2001!!!) the other day, did a tongue test still had plenty of kick and is powering my amp nicely.

As per most is FUD.

Feb 6, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #38 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK I'm confused. What do I want in a battery: one that has at least 9 volts--and I see some that have 9.4 or 9.6 volts--or battery that has higher MaH readings??? I see MaH all over the place from 200 to 300s. SO what's the difference?? Or will I really hear a difference among al the choices?

I'm with tnmike...what's the effect of a battery putting out 8.4, 8.6, 9.0, or 9.6 volts? In regards to the mAh, I've seen advertisements with ratings between 180 and up with VAPEX-TECH listing choices in excess of 800mAh! What does this mean in terms of sonics and equipment?
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #39 of 49
Thaks for the batteries Eric. LOL The Lithium can be used in the HORNET but you can't charge it in the HORNET. The manual for the Hornet even sttes you can use Lithium but not charge the things in the unit because they will explode. Ray Samuels also stated that you can use it. I think EricWatson also used them in his Hornet like he stated above. Anyway, I have had good luck with the Te-energy and the Tysonic.

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by applevalleyjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with tnmike...what's the effect of a battery putting out 8.4, 8.6, 9.0, or 9.6 volts? In regards to the mAh, I've seen advertisements with ratings between 180 and up with VAPEX-TECH listing choices in excess of 800mAh! What does this mean in terms of sonics and equipment?
confused_face_2.gif

Well.Does anybody know the answer to this?Personally I think they are equally important.Because the main purpose of the battery is to provide current to the amp.And the amp provides the output (milliAmps).So i'm guessing the amp needs a constant flow of current to perform its functions.That's not to say "milliAmp hours" rating is not important.I wouldn't go lower then 200mAh for these portable amps.MilliAmps represents the capacity of the battery.Therefore the higher the rating the longer the charge lasts.Just because a rechargeable 9V has a higher milliAmp rating,does not mean it's a better battery.It just means it lasts longer between charges.So i think a 9 volt with a true 9 voltage output or higher and a close to 300mAh capacity is a perfect battery for a portable amp. And any audiophile will tell you clean,constant, and unhampered power is key to high performance.The Ultralife,Ipower,Tysonic,Accupower,CTA Digital and Powerex seem to be the top contenders.Though the Ultralife is Lythium!Be careful to use the recommended battery for your amp.

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can buy 9v rechargables, they just have one extra cell to bump up voltage (from normal rechargables)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ultralife,Ipower,Tysonic,Accupower,CTA Digital and Powerex seem to be the top contenders.Though the Ultralife is Lythium!Be careful to use the recommended battery for your amp.

"9 volt" rechargeable Ni-MH's have to be either 8.4 Volts or 9.6 Volts, correct?, depending on whether they use 7 or 8 Ni-MH cells, which are 1.2 Volts each (as opposed to an alkaline 9 volt which is 6 cells of 1.5 Volts, exactly 9).

The iPower is 9.6, it has that extra cell iriverdude mentions, but it's a little taller than normal. CTA and Accupower are 8.4, but standard size.

Does the iPower fit most portables? 9.6 will be OK, yes? Better than 8.4

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #43 of 49
Hi all - newbie here. Sorry if I'm duplicating questions elsewhere, but are there any new opinions about best 9V batteries for portable amps? I'm awaiting delivery of a used SR-71 and would love to start fresh with batteries, but have no idea where... maybe Tysonic? Thanks

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #44 of 49
another battery questions.

anyone know a good brand of rechargeable batteries that work well with a Penguin Caffeine Ultra? and an ac adapter that would work with the amp and charge the batteries?

please provide a link if you dont mind, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #45 of 49
Since my post last year I have experimented and standardized as follows:

Re-chargeable: Accupower. Even though it is really 8.4, I like its standard size and the concept of very constant voltage output (as reported by others -- I haven't measured it). Available 300 mAh and 200 mAh. I use 200.

Amazon.com: AccuPower AP200-1 - Battery 9V NiMH 200 mAh: Electronics

Disposable Lithium: Ultralife.

9-Volt - Ultralife Batteries | U9VL-BP, U9VL-FP, U9VL-J, U9VL-X

As for external chargers, Ammy reviewers seem to like the Tenergy:

Amazon.com: BC1HU 110-240V Universal Fast Smart Charger for AA/AAA/C/D/9V Rechargeable Batteries: Electronics

I have no personal experience with it. Tenergy makes a 250 mAh rechargable btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back