Best $300~ headphones for music listening?
Apr 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #17 of 32
The imaging and separation will also be MUCH superior to the Denon.    Only con I see is that the HE-400's dont hit as "low" and powerfull, but you wanted an open design in the first place anyway.

Think I might have to get a pair of HE-400s.   

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #21 of 32
I'm looking for it. Saw it somewhere earlier today here on HF...hmmm

Found it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out/1365#post_8320720

Unfortunately, it seems that if you use the code you lose the right to return the item during the 14-day window.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out/1380#post_8321109

Hmmm... might just wait for a good open box deal on EE or something. Almost certainly gonna get these cans though.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #22 of 32
All right, I've thought about it some more and just might bite the bullet and order the HE-400s using the code.

Here's the part where I reveal my lack of knowledge.

I'm looking to buy the Audioengine D1 DAC USB to go along with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-D1-Premium-24-Bit-DAC/dp/B006IPH5H2/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

I simply connect that to my PC, and connect my headphones to the DAC using the headphone jack. That's all I need to do, right? No need for any special cables or anything? I have never owned audio equipment like this before.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #23 of 32

Quote:
I would go with either a HD 600/598 or a Denon D2000.

I miss my 598 dearly....  

Minty, pre-loved HD600 would be a great sounding choice -- and you will still keep a few bucks in your pocket.  Search here at Head-Fi and elsewhere -- these are absolutely wonderful all-around 'phones and a tremendous bargain these days.

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #25 of 32

Quote:
All right, I've thought about it some more and just might bite the bullet and order the HE-400s using the code.

Here's the part where I reveal my lack of knowledge.

I'm looking to buy the Audioengine D1 DAC USB to go along with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-D1-Premium-24-Bit-DAC/dp/B006IPH5H2/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

I simply connect that to my PC, and connect my headphones to the DAC using the headphone jack. That's all I need to do, right? No need for any special cables or anything? I have never owned audio equipment like this before.

Yes, the DAC is plug and play.

Great choice on the HE-400s! I also have a pair coming in the mail and I'll be using a similar DAC (ibasso D4) to power them, so I'd like to hear your impressions of the combo.

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #26 of 32
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not ready to order quite yet, but will be within a week (I'm actually preparing to buy/build a PC simultaneously.This is actually going to be expensive, but my PC is nine years old, and my audio equipment is five, so yeah). I will be sure to post my impressions.

I have one final, incredibly newbish question. I will be using these to play FLAC files ripped from ordinary CDs using Exact Audio Copy (I've made sure all the settings are right). Is that format "good enough" for this equipment? Can I expect to hear the great sound everyone talks about playing music in this format? I would hate to invest in this DAC and headphones, only to learn that they're designed for higher-quality audio (like SACD, or some audiophile format I'm not aware of, or something) and are completely bottlenecked by my music's format. Do a lot of Head-FI members play music in this format?

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #27 of 32
Lossless is always preferred if you have the space for it, format is personal preferance.  I personally use iTunes and Apple Lossless, the organization of iTunes is superior than anything I know of. 

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #28 of 32

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not ready to order quite yet, but will be within a week (I'm actually preparing to buy/build a PC simultaneously.This is actually going to be expensive, but my PC is nine years old, and my audio equipment is five, so yeah). I will be sure to post my impressions.

I have one final, incredibly newbish question. I will be using these to play FLAC files ripped from ordinary CDs using Exact Audio Copy (I've made sure all the settings are right). Is that format "good enough" for this equipment? Can I expect to hear the great sound everyone talks about playing music in this format? I would hate to invest in this DAC and headphones, only to learn that they're designed for higher-quality audio (like SACD, or some audiophile format I'm not aware of, or something) and are completely bottlenecked by my music's format. Do a lot of Head-FI members play music in this format?

This is perfectly fine. I use foobar with WASPI. Flac would be just fine.

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #29 of 32
Download foobar2000 and use it as your primary music player. Foobar can play anything (you might have to search out a plugin to decode certain formats first, for example .ape) and you can also download the WASAPI plugin, which allows you to pass the unmodified bitstream over to your external DAC.

foobar2000 = VLC media player of audio, basically

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back