Best $300~ headphones for music listening?
Apr 20, 2012 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

AndyTheDrifter

New Head-Fier
Hey guys.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of full-sized headphones for the first time. They would be used to listen to FLAC music on my PC. I would probably be using them in conjunction with an external USB DAC like the Audioengine D1. They would be for home use exclusively, so I think I would prefer an open headset, but am not ruling anything out. Comfort, durability, etc. is important but sound quality is my foremost concern. My most listened-to genres are traditional country and bluegrass. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 32
What about Grado? im not a country fan, but it sounds good with them. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 32
Denon D2000 or wait for a good sale and get the D5000.

Don't be afraid to buy used. HE400's are good, and even if you just want to lower the price, get the d2k/5k used

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 32
I would go with either a HD 600/598 or a Denon D2000.

I miss my 598 dearly....  

Apr 20, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 32
Okay. I think I am prepared to extend my budget to $400-$450. I figure I may as well go all-out and get me something really nice that will last me a long time. I am strongly considering either the Denon AH-D5000s or the HiFiMan HE-400s.

Couple things:
-I would probably be getting the Audioengine D1 as an amp/DAC. Will this get the job done?
-I noticed the AH-D5000s are closed-back, older, and more expensive. What reasons are there to consider them over the HE-400s?

Apr 20, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 32
I don't really have the expertise to describe to you the differences in sound signature, etc. between the D5000s and the HE-400s, but I will say that you should pay $400 max for an open box/like new set of D5000s. I see them offered at Amazon/Electronics Expo in the $380 range pretty often. Headphones are definitely a product where I would recommend buying used/like new because you can save yourself quite a chunk of change, and you can skip the burn-in process. :)

Also, word on the street is that the Denons are not difficult at all to amp... but again, this is just what I've read on these boards; not my personal expertise.

Okay. I think I am prepared to extend my budget to $400-$450. I figure I may as well go all-out and get me something really nice that will last me a long time. I am strongly considering either the Denon AH-D5000s or the HiFiMan HE-400s.

Couple things:
-I would probably be getting the Audioengine D1 as an amp/DAC. Will this get the job done?
-I noticed the AH-D5000s are closed-back, older, and more expensive. What reasons are there to consider them over the HE-400s?

Apr 20, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 32
Hey, thanks for the plug 
tongue.gif
 Everything I would use to answer your question is already in the review. The HFM is very open with a wonderful soundstage, it's transparent and beautifully layered. It has good bass for an open/ortho hp. 

The Denon is smile inducing bass monster. Not Sony bass machine. Deep, rich, tight in your face denon bass. The d5k has tighter bass w/o loosing impact and put the mids forward and smooths them a little over the d2k. Don't forget the wooden cups (insert your woodie joke here).

It's not often that you get to buy a hp that will rock your world. Either of these will do just that. 
biggrin.gif

GL!!

Apr 20, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 32
Thanks for the all of the advice guys. Great community here. While I have not decided on either the HE-400 or D5Ks yet, I assume it's pretty much a matter of personal taste, they're essentially equivalent and I'm unlikely to be disappointed in either one. That being said, I have to admit, the more research I do, people are saying nothing but amazing things when it comes to the D5Ks, and they seem to be a bit more tired and true, but I'm far from making a final decision. What's a good website to buy from, either new or used? Preferably with a warranty and a good return policy.

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 32
Also, Andy, I realize that the D5K is not exactly the same set of cans as the D2K, but have you seen this? This is a very in-depth review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/605929/review-comparison-he-400-vs-d2000-with-snippets-of-hd650-thrown-in#post_8311737

EDIT: You should be able to check Denon's website for a list of authorized dealers that offer the 1-year warranty (for example, I know that Electronics Expo -- which does not currently have the Denons in stock -- is one such authorized dealer. I have also seen Amazon Marketplace sellers mention in their item description before when they have/haven't been authorized dealers.
Quote:
Thanks for the all of the advice guys. Great community here. While I have not decided on either the HE-400 or D5Ks yet, I assume it's pretty much a matter of personal taste, they're essentially equivalent and I'm unlikely to be disappointed in either one. That being said, I have to admit, the more research I do, people are saying nothing but amazing things when it comes to the D5Ks, and they seem to be a bit more tired and true, but I'm far from making a final decision. What's a good website to buy from, either new or used? Preferably with a warranty and a good return policy.

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 32
The open box deals from Electronic Expo are great. Honestly I think that most or all of them are not used at all. Don't ask me why, but that's just the way it is. You get a very different experience with these two hp's. Just depends on what you're after with the sound signature. Would be very tough to pick only one. That's why I have both 
wink_face.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #15 of 32

Quote:
Also, Andy, I realize that the D5K is not exactly the same set of cans as the D2K, but have you seen this? This is a very in-depth review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/605929/review-comparison-he-400-vs-d2000-with-snippets-of-hd650-thrown-in#post_8311737

EDIT: You should be able to check Denon's website for a list of authorized dealers that offer the 1-year warranty (for example, I know that Electronics Expo -- which does not currently have the Denons in stock -- is one such authorized dealer. I have also seen Amazon Marketplace sellers mention in their item description before when they have/haven't been authorized dealers.

The fact that the HE-400s have planar magnetic technology while the D5K doesn't is definitely something to consider. I've only managed to find one review that compare the two directly (http://www.head-fi.org/t/586885/new-hifiman-headphone-he-400-is-out/555#post_8088463), and the Denons seem to win more points, but the HiFi's are newer , slightly cheaper, and have that planar magnetic tech that seems irresistible. Dang, such a tough, tough choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back