Best 200/350$ amp for Senns HD650
Jul 31, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #31 of 44
$330 for new 650s is right.

I have 650s for home use and have a Hornet [ALO Super Cotton dock on the way] and I think it's a good combo. Of course, it depends on what your tastes are and what you listen to. What do you want to get out of your Senns? Do you want them to be more lush, have more impact, more detail...?

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #32 of 44
Gilmore Lite. Get the DPS late on, worth the buy.

I would highly reccomend buying an actual amp over a portable, you sacrafice alot for portability. A Gilmore Lite beats a Hornet anyday by a longshot.

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #33 of 44
Also, I dont reccomend buying a DAC amp for the price you are willing to go. Get a good amp for now, then get a DAC. You will avoid quite a bit of upgrading doing so, and the setup will sound better in the end.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchess of York /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dac?

Digital-Analog Converter. They basically take music files from your computer/MP3/PMP and convert them into analog signal. They are basically high end soundcards.

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by endoscopia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL!

I'm sure you're right. But.. you know i don't even know where in Madrid i can begin start searching tubes, and i don't like the idea of replace parts of the amp every three months becouse right know i have to pay my car, house and eat 3 times everyday
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Not to mention my girlfriend will cut off my little thingie if she discovers that i'm putting 1000$ in improving my headphones!!!

I can highly recommend the Darkvoice 336i ( which is a tube headphone amp ) as it synergises very well with the Sennhesier HD600 & HD650 !

I have owned tubed based equipment for over 10 yrs and currently use tube based headphone amps, I'm yet to repalce my original set of tubes after 4yrs of use. I don't know where you heard that tubes need to be replaced every 3 months as that information is certainly INCORRECT ! That said, tube amps that have manual biasing do require the tubes re-biased every 8 to 12 months generally speaking. The adjustment of the bias is an adjustment to the voltage being supplied to the tubes and doesn't require the tubes to be replaced, it's like having your tyres on your car balanced and rotated.

Seeing I've just mentioned manual biasing of the tubes, the Darkvoice 336i headphone amp I've recommended has automatic biasing, so you never have to worry about it ! I believe these sell for around $320US delivered.

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #37 of 44
for a non-tube amp, everyone thinks the gilmore lite beats the headroom micro amp and all others?

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchess of York /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for a non-tube amp, everyone thinks the gilmore lite beats the headroom micro amp and all others?

A portable at the same price range will never win against a home amp for the same price. ie, Little Dot vs HeadRoom Total Bithead. Dont go portable if you have the HD650, I have tried it before, and it doesnt work too well.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #39 of 44
Another happy Gilmore Lite + HD650 user here. If I do get the upgrade bug, I'll probably just buy the DPS for my GLite
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 is a hybrid amp. It uses the tubes for the gain stage and Mosfets for the output stage (amplification). Tubes last well over 5,000 hours of use (BTW I turn off my X-Can V3 when not in use).
Replacement tubes for this amp are very cheap. For example in Ebay you can get the stock 6DJ8/6922 or the Russian 6H23-EB for $20 to $40 a pair. Good luck.

Miguel, these comments also apply to the x-can v2, correct?
op (original poster), these x-can amps also have some mods that can be done (search for such threads) and are a rather popular upgrade to them. this is a stealthy way around the gf issue.
wink.gif

also, search out akwok's posts about the 650/glite combo. he claims it's like a junior he90 rig, and he's owned both (as well as most of the top headphones). in case you're not aware, many folks here consider the insanely expensive he90 the best headphone ever made.

Aug 1, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #41 of 44
Portable amps have come a long way over the last few years. With a robust power supply (usually not a battery) many have sound comparable to home amps.

The Gilmore(s) are unique in that they offer discrete output and most of the other solid state amps use opamps.

Aug 1, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #42 of 44
Stay away from original master. It's producing "sounds", not music. I've found it's musicality to be very mediocre.. Seriously, there's not better amp in that price range(200$) for 650 than Lunchbox. Better try to find 1-st generation (without gain selection). Search sell forums...

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #43 of 44
how does the lunchbox compare to the gilmore lite?

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miguel, these comments also apply to the x-can v2, correct?
op (original poster), these x-can amps also have some mods that can be done (search for such threads) and are a rather popular upgrade to them. this is a stealthy way around the gf issue.
wink.gif

also, search out akwok's posts about the 650/glite combo. he claims it's like a junior he90 rig, and he's owned both (as well as most of the top headphones). in case you're not aware, many folks here consider the insanely expensive he90 the best headphone ever made.

The Russian 6H23-EB works very well in the Musical Fidelity X-Can v2. I should mention that used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 sell from $140 to $190 including S&H. A pair of the Russian tubes 6H23-EB can be had from $30 to $50 including S&H. Besides these tubes the other immediate mod I would do is to replace the stock wallwart which provides 500 mA with Jameco P/N 167151 which retails for $7.51 plus S&H. So if you take your time you could end with a Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 w/ the two Russian tubes and the Jameco (www.jameco.com) wall wart for right at $200 and it would rock.

Next would be to replace the diodes with faster acting ones, a better volume pot, and most of the caps. For these more extensive mods shoot me a PM so I can re-direct on how to go about it. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back