Best 200/350$ amp for Senns HD650
Jun 16, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't envisage anyone feasibly using the HD 650 as a portable headphone.

why not?? they work fine as portables..regards the original post, i use the hornet m with 650's and it works sweet. my source is an ipod with a dock line-out 'pimp' interconnect from qables. goes well. id suggest the hornet m and i think its in your price range.

cheers

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #17 of 44
Consider getting the Original Master. It tends to be considered to be comparable in sound to the gilmore by those who have heard both, and it only costs $200. Great match with senns and leaves more budget for source components

Jun 16, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Endoscopia:

DIY amps frequently come up in the for sale forums here. Look for amps built by member "MisterX". He's well known for quality work. He also does custom work, which isn't as complicated as it sounds. Look him up on the member page and send him a private message with your budget and your needs. Generally speaking, you can get more performance out of a DIY amp than a commercial in that price range, and MisterX's amps have good resale.

Personally, I've read a lot of good things about the millett hybrid for the 650s. Comes in a portable version, too.

Do you know if he builds amp/dac combo like Corda Aria?

Jun 16, 2007 at 10:19 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, you have a deeper problem here. It's important to set this precedent early. My wife only accepts my headphone purchases now because she got used to them when she was my girlfriend. If this isn't long-term, hide the gear, but if you do intend to put some time into this you have to get her used to the gear now.

On a lighter note, though, tubes really aren't that difficult. They can be bought online very easily, and their life is often much, much longer than three months. Most tube amp owners relish the chance to replace their tubes, since every different tube has a slightly different sound. Solid state is easier to live with, true, but tubes are really very common around these parts and can make some excellent music.

lol, or you can do what i did: buy her a set of cans and see if she gets bit by the head-fi bug; costs a single spa visit or a decent dinner w/ wine. now my lady doesn't complain about anything! she can't wait for the WA6 to come in, loves the iMod and can't wait to listen to her cans every night she gets home from work.

agree with your second comment. i look forward to the receipt of my WA6 and will have a line-up of tubes awaiting it.

Jun 16, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by endoscopia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks everybody for the answers, it's nice to get help so quickly
smily_headphones1.gif

So it seems that the most popular option is GilmoreLite (reallly nice looking amp).

Marroyo, i can get here in Madrid one Xcan V-3 and the MS Power Supply for 300 € ( about 400$) but i'm think i'm not ready for the tubes right now. Thanks for the suggestions.
Vcoheda maybe i will PM next week to talk about your Glite. I wish you really very very bad luck in selling it until then
evil_smiley.gif

Oh, and i will talk to MisterX about the DIY.
And then make a decision.

I really appreciate your help guys

Cheers.

The Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 is a hybrid amp. It uses the tubes for the gain stage and Mosfets for the output stage (amplification). Tubes last well over 5,000 hours of use (BTW I turn off my X-Can V3 when not in use).

Replacement tubes for this amp are very cheap. For example in Ebay you can get the stock 6DJ8/6922 or the Russian 6H23-EB for $20 to $40 a pair. Good luck.

Jun 16, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLS79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not?? they work fine as portables..regards the original post, i use the hornet m with 650's and it works sweet. my source is an ipod with a dock line-out 'pimp' interconnect from qables. goes well. id suggest the hornet m and i think its in your price range.

cheers

One must be a hardcore Headfier if they're using 650's on the bus/train/walk
580smile.gif
. If portability is a non-issue then its more sensible to buy a home amp than a portable one. I bought a Hornet even though I never use it outside and thats a decision I regret because I could've easily bought a decent home amp instead with the money spent.

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #22 of 44
There's more to 'portable' than the bus. I listen to my 650s while cooking; in bed; on my laptop; while reading in the conservatory... iPod/laptop --> Porta Corda --> Cotton Dock --> HD650 does a great job around the house
600smile.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One must be a hardcore Headfier if they're using 650's on the bus/train/walk
580smile.gif
. If portability is a non-issue then its more sensible to buy a home amp than a portable one. I bought a Hornet even though I never use it outside and thats a decision I regret because I could've easily bought a decent home amp instead with the money spent.

I am pretty sure you can sell that Hornet for $300 to $325 right now.

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #25 of 44
I'd buy a Gilmore Lite/Dynalo to go with it. Fits your budget and it sounds great. I also think the M^3 is good.

If you're interested in building an amp, go for it. You'll save a lot of money, they're not that difficult and there's lots of help here.

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #27 of 44
Get MisterX to build you a Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III in the $250 range. Can't be beat.

Jul 31, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #30 of 44
Hey guys, I just ordered hd650s but don't have an amp yet, i was thinking about the headroom micro amp, but it looks like that hasn't even been mentioned on this trend, any suggestions/descriptions of better amps for hd650's and grado sr225's? (around 300$) (btw, I got the HD650's for $330, did i get riped off or is that a good price)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back