Best 200/350$ amp for Senns HD650
Jun 15, 2007 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

endoscopia

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I bought two months ago the HD650 cans without even knowing that headphone amplification exists or what was the meaning of "high impedance headphones".
(i suppose that i was thinking than pluggin it in the soundblaster live jack would do the trick
rolleyes.gif
)
Well, after realizing that the HD650 sounds much better with amplification i wonder if you guys could help me with this a little.
My budget is a little tight right so my limit is about 350$ (well, i can go to 400$) but no more. Any advice will be great.

Sorry for my poor english and thanks in advance.

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 44
If your on the go, maybe try a Hornet M

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by wgr73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your on the go, maybe try a Hornet M

I can't envisage anyone feasibly using the HD 650 as a portable headphone.

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 44
Not portable use, so it doesn´t have to be portable but it can be

Fallen Angel, thank you very much for the advice, seems that al these amps are DIY amps... well i´m afraid i´m uber n00b in the headphone amplification world so i would preffer buying some commercial amp. Maybe in the F/S section someone is selling one of these.

God, must go back to my english studies, i´m struggling by just trying to write simple ideas

Jun 16, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 44
If a home amp you have a few options, some are:

1. Used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2, $140 to $190
2. Little Dot Micro Tube, about $220 new
3. Used Musical Fidelity X-Can V3, about $325
4. Used Heed CanAmp, about $340

There are other home amps which I have not yet heard which get great reviews under $400. Some are G-Lite, CI HPA-2, etc.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #10 of 44
Endoscopia:

DIY amps frequently come up in the for sale forums here. Look for amps built by member "MisterX". He's well known for quality work. He also does custom work, which isn't as complicated as it sounds. Look him up on the member page and send him a private message with your budget and your needs. Generally speaking, you can get more performance out of a DIY amp than a commercial in that price range, and MisterX's amps have good resale.

Personally, I've read a lot of good things about the millett hybrid for the 650s. Comes in a portable version, too.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 44
Thanks everybody for the answers, it's nice to get help so quickly
smily_headphones1.gif

So it seems that the most popular option is GilmoreLite (reallly nice looking amp).

Marroyo, i can get here in Madrid one Xcan V-3 and the MS Power Supply for 300 € ( about 400$) but i'm think i'm not ready for the tubes right now. Thanks for the suggestions.
Vcoheda maybe i will PM next week to talk about your Glite. I wish you really very very bad luck in selling it until then
evil_smiley.gif

Oh, and i will talk to MisterX about the DIY.
And then make a decision.

I really appreciate your help guys

Cheers.

Jun 16, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #13 of 44
Don't be afraid of tubes, they're your friends. Most smaller tube amps aren't difficult to maintain, and they can be a joy to listen to.

Jun 16, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be afraid of tubes, they're your friends.

LOL!

I'm sure you're right. But.. you know i don't even know where in Madrid i can begin start searching tubes, and i don't like the idea of replace parts of the amp every three months becouse right know i have to pay my car, house and eat 3 times everyday
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Not to mention my girlfriend will cut off my little thingie if she discovers that i'm putting 1000$ in improving my headphones!!!

Jun 16, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 44
Alright, you have a deeper problem here. It's important to set this precedent early. My wife only accepts my headphone purchases now because she got used to them when she was my girlfriend. If this isn't long-term, hide the gear, but if you do intend to put some time into this you have to get her used to the gear now.

On a lighter note, though, tubes really aren't that difficult. They can be bought online very easily, and their life is often much, much longer than three months. Most tube amp owners relish the chance to replace their tubes, since every different tube has a slightly different sound. Solid state is easier to live with, true, but tubes are really very common around these parts and can make some excellent music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back