Best <$150 Headphones for me. PLEASE HELP
Dec 27, 2010 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Uncle Chuck

Head-Fier
Hello everyone. Please don't get angry if I'm posting in the wrong category thingy.(you know what i mean) I am a total noob about headphones. (like i literally know almost nothing) I have been searching teh interwebz trying to find out the best headphones for me for quite some time now. This forum seems to be quite educated when it comes to these kind of questions.

Okay, so the max price i will pay is 150 buckaroonees. MAX. MAXIMUM.

The music I listen to is mainly techno, electric, Drum & Bass, indie rock, classical and pop.

I need durability, and comfort. I will probably be taking these to school, Which means they may be squished in with Mr. Notebook, Mrs. Pencil bag and the Ol' lunchbox (more like brown bag but whatever, it will be crowded and I want them to be durable.)

The Headphones i have been considering (feel FREE to suggest more)-

Audio Technica M50's
Sony XB700's
Sony XB500's
Denon AH1001's
Studiophile Q40's
BEATS BY DR DRE BABY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!! lol jk

Okay I have some additional nooby questions.

I was planning on just opening the box, plugging them into my computer or iPhone and listening to them, but according to this site it seems like I need to-

-Play random music on them for like a year strait (or put burning charcoals in them or something?)
-Have an 'amplifyer' or something???
-have a cord that plugs into the cord to make it sound but (I don't know what those are called)
-Switch out the cord for a better cord?

anyways, any feedback would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

ALSO THE HEADPHONES NEED TO BE CLOSED AND LEAK AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 50
I mainly listen to techno.

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 50
Thanks man, I will try them out. The only thing is that i don't have anything to compare them to. But I am really leaning toward's the Sony because they are so cheap.

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 50
     Quote:
-Play random music on them for like a year strait (or put burning charcoals in them or something?)

Hehehe, it's supposed to be 2 years straight. And you have to replace the burning charcoals twice a day 
rolleyes.gif

Seriously though, I'd say +1 on the M50s, they're great for techno and electronic and the like

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 50
Indeed.

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 50
So i take it the M50's are better than the sony's in every way?

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 50
How about the Sennheiser HD 595s. They are an open headphone (other's will hear what you're hearing) but they perform wonderfully - very "alive" sounding. They are *extremely* durable in my experience (I have treated them far too poorly!). And for a full size headphone they are relatively easy to drive (no amp necessary at all). The only downside I can see is that they aren't particularly comfortable worn around the neck. So if you plan to walk around like that, well, expect to feel them clamping down on your neck!

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #11 of 50
Unfortunately i am not going to be purchasing any open headphones. I will be using them mostly when i am in a classroom. Also I don't really like when other people hear the music i am listening to. Thank you for the input though.

maybe one day...

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #13 of 50
What is a soundstage?

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #14 of 50
"Soundstage" is the perception of the sound being all around you, it's like the difference between the music just being in your head and being at a live concert or something similar

Dec 28, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 50

Quote:
"Soundstage" is the perception of the sound being all around you, it's like the difference between the music just being in your head and being at a live concert or something similar

No it's the presentation of the music, having a wider soundstage can sound unnatural, also having a very close soundstage can aid in energetic sound which is ideal for most Dance music. Note though that having a wide soundstage will aid the headphone if it's appropriate for the sound signature. It works well for some headphones( 750DJ's, HD25-II's, HD650, and DT990) and not so well for others( K701/702) to my ear not saying for everyone but to me.

Also there is no better and to my ear the XB500's are actually superior to the M50's but that's because of personal taste not because I have some false sense of  "Better"

To the OP:

Please don't be lured into the sort of thinking that headphones are somehow ranked by price and that they are better as you spend more, please think of them as different shades of color. One Colour might be more suited for a match but that doesn't mean it's the best and no other color can ever compare. The same thing applies to headphones.

My suggestion is if you have a Best Buy and or a guitar center within driving distance that you go to one and try the headphones out. The Best Buy should have XB500's and the Guitar center will have Many many more good headphones including my personal favorite in this price range and for this musical taste( dance music in general) of the Shure SRH750DJ which I own and love. I also own XB500's and I will admit for their price they hold their own with Headphones costing 4 times the price on ANY source which is something other headphones( like the ones in the $100-$200) can't  claim or even compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back