Best $150 headphones available at Best Buy
Feb 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

njallday

New Head-Fier
**Edit: No longer bound to Best Buy**

Hey all, I'm looking for my first pair of decent headphones.  My price limit is $150.  I would occasionally like to use them on the go, so something like some HD558s, or any open/overly bulky 'phones are not preferred.  I listen to quite a few genres, including EDM, alternative, rock, and some grunge.  I'm looking for something with good bass (like every budding audiophile), but I want a clean, satisfying bass that doesn't affect the mids or highs vs. an overpowering bass.  I also really like detachable cables. 

Here's the catch: I would much prefer something from Best Buy since I have around $60 in gift cards there.  I know prices are high there, but they match Amazon's prices so it doesn't really matter. 

Some headphones I was considering are ATH-M50s (w/ removable cable mod from Sound Pros), HFI-780s, and UE 4000s.  Neither of those first two are available at Best Buy, however.  Worst comes to worse, I just use the money to best buy on something else, but again I'd really like to save the cash. 

Thanks in advance!

(P.S.:  I'm only making this thread because I wasn't really helped in the suggestions thread)

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 19
M-Audio Q40 comes to mind.  Strong bass, removable cord, and its available at Best Buy's online site.  Price matching to Amazon price it would be $139. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 19
Since when did best buy price match with online retailers?

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:
M-Audio Q40 comes to mind.  Strong bass, removable cord, and its available at Best Buy's online site.  Price matching to Amazon price it would be $139. 

They actually look quite nice, just hoping they're available at my local best buy. 
Quote:
Since when did best buy price match with online retailers?

About a year or two ago they starting doing it in store. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
They actually look quite nice, just hoping they're available at my local best buy. 
About a year or two ago they starting doing it in store. 

If this was true, I would have gotten all of my headphones from BestBuy..

Does Best Buy match the prices of Internet retailers?

No. Unless Best Buy is running a test or promotion under this Guarantee that allows for Price Matching Internet retailers, we do not match the prices of Internet-only retailers or the website prices of our local retail competitors' stores. If, however, a local retail competitor has the same or lower price as its online store and the customer can provide verification of the in-store price, Best Buy will match the price (so long as all other price match policy criteria are met).

source: BestBuy.com
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Payment-Pricing/Best-Buy-Price-Match-Guarantee/pcmcat204400050011.c?id=pcmcat204400050011

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 19
Of headphones that are specifically available at Best Buy? Koss DJ100 or Bose AE2. Both tick every box on your list too. For more of my thoughts between the two:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/643986/american-middleweights

If your Best Buy sells the PRO3/A you might try them too - cable isn't removable iirc, and they're kind of heavy, but not a bad overall headphone. I like the DJ100 better. I'd avoid the M50 (you said you wanted clean treble and tight bass, right? :p); no thoughts on the other two - haven't tried either. Both have been (or presently are) popular/FOTM (actually the M50 were FOTM too), keep that in mind when digging for reviews.

If you're going to move away from Best Buy, and can also shop on Amazon, the Creative Aurvana Live! aren't a bad headphone, but I still like the Koss or Bose better (the CAL can sometimes cost less though); depending on the specific genre. Since you kind of straddle EDM and acoustic, it's tough to suggest a single model - CAL will do fine though, so will AE2, and so will DJ100 (or TBSE, if you jump onto Amazon and get them) - DJ100 will have less bass slam, but it's still satisfying (I prefer the Koss with acoustic music, and the Bose with EDM; you're kind of right between the two).

If you're going to move away from Best Buy and can buy OPEN headphones (which means no isolation), the Grado SR-60 (etc) would be a good candidate as well - again not a ton of bass slam, but still satisfying enough. Also, because you said grunge, I gotta mention the Ultrasone HFI-2400 (and let me qualify, I almost never listen to grunge, and don't have much experience with the genre in general - but having said that, the 2400 were/are my favorite cans for that genre, at basically any price point; they're over your budget, open-backed, but otherwise would probably be perfect (They're really good with EDM and most acoustic too - they're nice all-around headphones) and you're the first person I've seen specifically mention grunge, so I figured why not mention them).

Overall I'd take a long hard look at your music tastes and library, decide if you favor electronica and bass, or acoustic and mids, and then decide between the Koss and Bose. They're pretty much evenly stacked in terms of non-sonic features (removable cables, easy replacement parts, good customer service, hard-cases are available for both, decent isolation, comfortable, etc).

Feb 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 19
Best Buy said they would match Amazon pricing for the holiday season(except black Friday week). That ended Dec 25 though. I haven't read of any new internet price matching offer from Best Buy. Even if they would price match though, they don't have the selection Amazon offers. Use your Best Buy gift card to buy an Amazon gift card, then buy a headphone from Amazon.

Feb 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 19
Bought a couple of otter box defender series cases for my phone at best buy and they price matched amazon. No special time or promotions at the time. Out of the ones mentioned, I think the M50's are good.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
Of headphones that are specifically available at Best Buy? Koss DJ100 or Bose AE2. Both tick every box on your list too. For more of my thoughts between the two:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/643986/american-middleweights

If your Best Buy sells the PRO3/A you might try them too - cable isn't removable iirc, and they're kind of heavy, but not a bad overall headphone. I like the DJ100 better. I'd avoid the M50 (you said you wanted clean treble and tight bass, right?
tongue.gif
); no thoughts on the other two - haven't tried either. Both have been (or presently are) popular/FOTM (actually the M50 were FOTM too), keep that in mind when digging for reviews.

If you're going to move away from Best Buy, and can also shop on Amazon, the Creative Aurvana Live! aren't a bad headphone, but I still like the Koss or Bose better (the CAL can sometimes cost less though); depending on the specific genre. Since you kind of straddle EDM and acoustic, it's tough to suggest a single model - CAL will do fine though, so will AE2, and so will DJ100 (or TBSE, if you jump onto Amazon and get them) - DJ100 will have less bass slam, but it's still satisfying (I prefer the Koss with acoustic music, and the Bose with EDM; you're kind of right between the two).

If you're going to move away from Best Buy and can buy OPEN headphones (which means no isolation), the Grado SR-60 (etc) would be a good candidate as well - again not a ton of bass slam, but still satisfying enough. Also, because you said grunge, I gotta mention the Ultrasone HFI-2400 (and let me qualify, I almost never listen to grunge, and don't have much experience with the genre in general - but having said that, the 2400 were/are my favorite cans for that genre, at basically any price point; they're over your budget, open-backed, but otherwise would probably be perfect (They're really good with EDM and most acoustic too - they're nice all-around headphones) and you're the first person I've seen specifically mention grunge, so I figured why not mention them).

Overall I'd take a long hard look at your music tastes and library, decide if you favor electronica and bass, or acoustic and mids, and then decide between the Koss and Bose. They're pretty much evenly stacked in terms of non-sonic features (removable cables, easy replacement parts, good customer service, hard-cases are available for both, decent isolation, comfortable, etc).

Tbh I can't stand the look of DJ100s and AE2s.  I've looked at both in the past, but I discounted them due to their looks.  The HFI-2400s are a pair of headphones that I'd love to grab, but they're just too far out of my price range.  Thanks for the input, though. 
Quote:
Use your Best Buy gift card to buy an Amazon gift card, then buy a headphone from Amazon.

Genius. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #15 of 19
Tbh I can't stand the look of DJ100s and AE2s.  I've looked at both in the past, but I discounted them due to their looks.  The HFI-2400s are a pair of headphones that I'd love to grab, but they're just too far out of my price range.  Thanks for the input, though. 

Can't help you if looks are the primary criteria - :xf_eek:.

Maybe look at the CAL, Q-40, etc. Eventually you'll find something that looks nice to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back