Best $100 IEM for Electronic Music? Ambient, Psybient, Psychill, Downtempo style
May 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Abiogenesis

New Head-Fier
Not necessarily overpowering bass thumping club bangers or dubstep electronic.  I'm talking more specifically about ambient, psybient, psychill, downtempo style that has a lot of different unique sounds.  Groups like Carbon Based Lifeforms, Solar Fields, HUVA Network, Ultimae Records. 

Examples (Skip through to get an understanding):

Current IEM's that I am considering (Opinions and suggestions welcome):

- Rock It Sounds R-50
- Shure SE215LTD (leaning towards these at the moment)
- VSONIC GR06
- TDK BA200

Right now I'm using the MEElectronics M6's.  Things that I like about the M6 are the fit and comfort over-the-ear style, durability, and entry level price.  I use them on my laptop and ipod when I'm doing activities around the house, working out, doing dishes, yard work, ect.  The M6 has been a good entry level IEM that has done everything that I've wanted.  Now that I have some money to spend, I would like to upgrade to have something that does what the M6 does but have better sound quality.  I've never experienced a high quality IEM so I'm not sure how good the good IEM's can sound, so I'm curious to see the difference.

May 30, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 21
I'll give you my impression of the first song on the R-50s and the Yamaha EPH100 (not on your list, but a great IEM for this type of music): Listening to the first song on the R-50s:
Just great speed on the highs... of all of your choices, the R-50s will have the best micro-detail and speed especially on those higher ambient sounds... you really hear ever separate note hit, even with the heavy reverb. The EPH100 does a good job of the highs though not quite as in your face as the R-50s, but they make up for it with better depth and punchier bass... but the R-50's bass is no slouch (not anemic like the more analytical RE0 or RE-ZERO... though I do have the bass EQ'd up on the R-50s like this: +4db at 31HZ, +6 at 62HZ +3 at 125HZ). Overall, I like how the Yamaha presents this type of music because it sounds a bit more open, bigger sounding overall. It is quite capable in the mids and highs, though not quite with the scalpel-like precision of the R-50s.

You should read Lifted Andreas' initial impression of the Zero Audio Carbo Tenores as someone who also enjoys listening to electronic music with the Yamaha EPH100 (Read this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/665111/zero-audio-zh-dx200-carbo-tenore-zh-dx210-carbo-basso-iem-carbon-aluminium-information-appreciation-and-impressions-thread ).

They sound pretty much right up your alley... with a sound sig similar to the Yamaha EPH100 (which is pretty awesome for electronic music like this) with just a hair less precision BUT a greater soundstage which I think is a worthy trade-off for this type of music. Also, they can be had for under $70 shipped.

May 30, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
Why are you leaning towards the se-215?

I'm a very new audiophile without much experience or knowledge.  Mainly just from looking at reviews and rating on this site, the se215 seem to rate high for their price range. I also like that they are over-the-ear style like my current M6's that I am comfortable with.  They basically look like an upgraded version of the M6 which is something that I am looking for. I just don't know how they would sound with my preference of music, or if I should be looking at something else.  I really like the over-the-ear style because I feel like it provides me more versatility.

May 30, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 21
i listen to the same kind of stuff and would recommend the hifiman re400, as it is quite nutral with just the right bassboost. and it sounds incredibly spacious with this music.

May 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:
i listen to the same kind of stuff and would recommend the hifiman re400, as it is quite nutral with just the right bassboost. and it sounds incredibly spacious with this music.

I like HiFiMan's stuff for a variety of music, but I never thought the IEMs I tried were particularly good for this type of music because they can be a little thin with a a smallish soundstage (except for the RE-262). i've own/owned RE0, RE-ZERO and RE-262. The RE400 does sound like it checks the proper boxes in terms of tuning to a more fun, warmer sound than what is more typical of HiFiMan. Really wish there were auditioning places here in California.

May 30, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/New-JVC-HA-FX40-B-Earphone-KV6902/dp/B005TZ4D9A

those will do well for what you want to listen to.

I think I prefer an over the ear style for being frequently active (working out, cleaning house, working on the yard ect.  If I can get an over the ear IEM without giving up too much audio quality for my genres that would great. So far I'm still thinking the Shure SE215 is my best bet.  But I would like to hear someone who owns a pair comment on how they sound with this type of music.

May 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 21
You won't be giving up any audio quality if what you are using is a m6. If you are set on the 215 they have them used at bhvideo for $70. You can try the higher end meelec models like the a151. It's more comfortable and has better sound quality. The r-50 are probably your best bang for the buck and better than for the long run I you are tight on money.

May 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
You won't be giving up any audio quality if what you are using is a m6. If you are set on the 215 they have them used at bhvideo for $70. You can try the higher end meelec models like the a151. It's more comfortable and has better sound quality. The r-50 are probably your best bang for the buck and better than for the long run I you are tight on money.

The r-50 seems great and gets amazing reviews.  The things I don't like about them is their looks, the se215 looks a lot better. Also I'm a little concerned about their durability from reading some other reviews they don't have the build quality of the se215.  Durability is a factor since I will be using them actively.  I have been researching the se215ltd for now and still looking at all my options.  Thanks for your reply it makes some really good points.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #14 of 21
Now I'm thinking the SE215LTD might be the way to go.  It has a shorter cord than the regular SE215, which is something that I was worried about for working out and such.  I think the SE215LTD is an upgrade in sound also and only $20 more if I remember correctly.  Although now it seems like I can't find it except for around $170 on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back