Beresford TC-7510 DAC MKII
Mar 22, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #316 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are two shipping locations. If you live in Europe you get it shipped from Europe. Otherwise you get hit for ten by European rules on import duties and sales tax, and they are huge. If you live outside Europe it gets shipped from Taiwan. That way the global price of the Beresford TC-7510 delivered is more or less the same anywhere in the world. Add to that the head-fi forum members discount makes it even greater value of course. And since you are getting it directly from the manufacturer you always get the latest version with the latest update. All units shipped to long haul destinations get an extra QC test to make sure they'll survive the bumps and thumps enroute.
(info suppled by Stanley upon request)

Wow, i have no idea it'd be shipped from Taiwan. I always thought Stanley shipped it from the UK. I checked the Taiwanese ems site, and mine was indeed shipped from there.

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #317 of 338
I have the original Paradisea (with we 396a tube) and a modded tec tc-7510 (opamp ad8599, 4700uf power supply cap, elna silmic II's in analog signal path). IMO, the paradisea is significantly better in the midrange and has better soundstage (wider and deeper). The level of detail is about the same for the two dacs. Generally, the paradisea has a more rounded sound that fills in more of the soundstage, whereas the tc-7510 is a bit more precise in separating instruments. I think I would be perfectly happy with tc-7510 for instrumental music, but the paradisea does a much better job with vocals, the paradisea has wonderful midrange in general. However, my preference tends to lean toward the richer sound of non-OS dacs compared to the oversampling dacs that I have heard. Of course, the paradisea cost more than 3x more than the TEC. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the most recent version of either model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turn&cough /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By any chance - anyone compared the MarkIII with a Paradisea?

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #318 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by izquierdaste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the original Paradisea (with we 396a tube) and a modded tec tc-7510 (opamp ad8599, 4700uf power supply cap, elna silmic II's in analog signal path). IMO, the paradisea is significantly better in the midrange and has better soundstage (wider and deeper). The level of detail is about the same for the two dacs. Generally, the paradisea has a more rounded sound that fills in more of the soundstage, whereas the tc-7510 is a bit more precise in separating instruments. I think I would be perfectly happy with tc-7510 for instrumental music, but the paradisea does a much better job with vocals, the paradisea has wonderful midrange in general. However, my preference tends to lean toward the richer sound of non-OS dacs compared to the oversampling dacs that I have heard. Of course, the paradisea cost more than 3x more than the TEC. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the most recent version of either model.

Besides the 396a is your Paradisea modded?

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #319 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And one question: Would I get better SQ from the Optical in or the coaxial in?

If your source is from computer or near any, you will be better of using optical, or so I heard. Go visit the cable section. Beware, cable can cost a lot of money...

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #320 of 338
Quote:

And one question: Would I get better SQ from the Optical in or the coaxial in?

It depends on the quality of parts Stanley used. Technically, they use different technology to transfer signals, but the result should not be significantly different. But in my experience, and to put it in "hi-fi" standards, i believe coaxial delivers a warmer and more "analog" sound while optical delivers more accurate representation on the frequency scale. So yea, you should try both!

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #321 of 338
Ok then... So all I need to buy now is a shorter mini-to-rca cable for my amp, and a coaxial cable.

And maybe something else...

I would like to connect my CDP to the DAC, but the CDP only has line-out. Could I get a line-out to Coax/Optical interconnect or something? Or is it not possible?

Mar 23, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #322 of 338
Quote:

Ok then... So all I need to buy now is a shorter mini-to-rca cable for my amp, and a coaxial cable.

And maybe something else...

I would like to connect my CDP to the DAC, but the CDP only has line-out. Could I get a line-out to Coax/Optical interconnect or something? Or is it not possible?

Not possible. With your Audigy card, you can try getting a Optical-to-Coaxial adatper and do it that way, but those adapters are pretty expensive like $50 and it won't be worth it for the slightest/non-existent difference.

Mar 23, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #323 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not possible. With your Audigy card, you can try getting a Optical-to-Coaxial adatper and do it that way, but those adapters are pretty expensive like $50 and it won't be worth it for the slightest/non-existent difference.

What? I dont get it...

I want to connect my CD player to my Beresford TC-7510 which only has optical and coaxial inputs. My CD player only has a 3.5mm line-out. How would an optical-to-coaxial adapter help there? I think you may have misread the question
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #324 of 338
Quote:

What? I dont get it...

I want to connect my CD player to my Beresford TC-7510 which only has optical and coaxial inputs. My CD player only has a 3.5mm line-out. How would an optical-to-coaxial adapter help there? I think you may have misread the question
wink.gif

what you need is an analogue to digital converter. Your sound card could do the trick if you hook the output from your CDP to the input on your card... but I really don't think you'd be gaining anything from doing this bc you would still be using the DAC in your CDP

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #326 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he is aking, wheter there are 3.5mm (mini) to TOSLINK cable.
yes, there are such optical cables. I use one to connect my DAP to home theater receiver

Yeah thats what I wanted. Something like that would be really usefull.

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #327 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by GASTAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he is aking, wheter there are 3.5mm (mini) to TOSLINK cable.
yes, there are such optical cables. I use one to connect my DAP to home theater receiver

Yes, but you can't just plug it into any 3.5mm jack. It must have a 3.5mm [size=small]optical[/size] connection, and i'd assume your conventional CD player does not.

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #328 of 338
i think this should be on another thread as it has no bearing with beresford dac but anyhow...
fraser, since you're in NZ, try looking at this:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/C...n-92833707.htm

or similar things. I got the MM Gear (http://www.mmgear.com/eng/e_pro/e_pro03_01.html) that have optical and coaxial output but is a USB sound card. As my dac on noisy environment (2x monitor + CPU) + neighbour computers that have the same setup, i use optical just to be safe.

Then i need to buy a 3.5mm mini toslink to toslink to connect to beresford. As for you cdp, i highly doubt it has digital out. i might be wrong.

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #329 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say it's better. I upgraded to my Zhaolu from a 203.2 and the MKIII is pretty comparable to my Zhaolu

I have had the TC-7510 for a few days now and I am very happy with it.

My setup is Foobar - M-audio Transit ASIO - Optical to Beresford - X Can V3 - HD580s. I bought the HD580s first because they were a "bargain", but the darn things have cost me a pretty penny to get the most out of them.
icon10.gif
I do not think I will be changing anything for a while (other than Senn upgrades that are on backorder). I do have a headphone stand that needs another set of headphones for balance
evil_smiley.gif
, but I will wait for Christmas to get those.
580smile.gif

As a side note, Stanley was a pleasure to do business with. He was very quick with replying to emails and shipping was super-fast!

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #330 of 338
I've just received my TC7510 MKIII from taiwan! However, because my optical connection requires a mini toslink adapter, im still waiting for my cable to deliver. Once i get a chance to connect the DAC i will do a follow up with a review of the unit. Look, build quality, and packaging wise, however, i am very impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back