Beresford TC-7510 DAC MKII
Dec 16, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #106 of 338
Day 5 with the TC-7510. Smirk. The performance gap between the 7510 and the Onkyo continues to grow. I LOVE this system. The treble could be a touch clearer, and a bit of a "bulge" in the lower mid-range intrudes on rather rare occasions, but overall it doesn't get much better than this. A $900 system! Smirk.

More extensive report later, if I can stop listening long enough.
icon10.gif

Russell

Dec 19, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #107 of 338
The TEC T-7510 has had around 100 hours of burn-in now, and I'm happier than ever with it. I wish I could compare it with other dac's -- unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity. If someone in the New England region wants to bring their dac over for a comparison test, I'd be more than happy to oblige. What I DO know about the 7510 is that it's a huge step up from the Onkyo cd-player I previously used, which is now serving as the transport for the dac. My previous system comprised Paradigm Esprit speakers, a Marantz SR-4200 (?) receiver, and NAD 521BEE player. This system beats that system by quite a bit -- perhaps a touch less clear, but much more ALIVE and musical. It's very quick on its feet, has a deep, full, layered sound, and can expand to capture big moments in the music. I can hear inner voices and textures in my cd's that I've never heard before. It's like they've been remastered. This is a system I could listen to all day. Have listened to all day, in fact.

I trialed an NAD 521BEE for a couple days with this system when it was clear the Onkyo alone was holding it back. My general impression of the 7510/Onkyou combo vs. the NAD is that the 7510 has more life and presence -- it's fuller and deeper and less dry than the NAD. Both are about equally clear and nimble. I find the 7510 considerably more exhilirating. It brings the music to life.

Again, I would love to compare the combo I have now to other players and dacs. Feel free to private me if you'd like to take me up on this.

Russell

Dec 26, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #108 of 338
I have been using the Beresford dac for 5 days now, about 3 hours each day. I don't know exactly how it sounds since I'm using it with a K-1000 on a cheapish amp, which I haven't heard on my regular source, a modified Cambridge 640c.

I'll get some hours on it with my RS-1 which I'm more familiar with than the K-1000 this week but the real test will be next week when I'll have my regular source on hand aswell. I can say this much though, it sounds fine. I can't notice any real flaws and those that I do notice (slight sibilance and a crackle in the highest of highs) come (I think) from my amp. More later but as it stands it looks like it's a nice unit, especially regarding price.

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #109 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't notice any real flaws and those that I do notice (slight sibilance and a crackle in the highest of highs) come (I think) from my amp.

I get the same problem, i think maybe PSU or DIGITAL OUT cause this problem.

Dec 29, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #110 of 338
Dec 29, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #111 of 338
My TEC (aka Beresford) TC-7510 is now well over 100 hours burn-in, and continues to mellow and relax. I'm happier than ever with it. Clear, dimensional sound that captures the character and essence of the music and of individual voices/instruments. $159 well-spent.

Jan 4, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #112 of 338
Ok, here we go.

This is the setup I'm using at the moment:
Modified Cambridge 640c
- Analog outputs -> Receiver's cd inputs -> Loop out -> Mapletree Ear+ HD -> Grado RS-1
- Optical outputs -> Beresford Receiver's dvd inputs -> Loop out -> Mapletree Ear+ HD -> Grado RS-1

Using optical since the Beresford came with an optical cable. I'll also use coaxial later.

I would use the K-1000 but I feel the receiver is an inadaquate amplifier for it and am thus missing out on subtle differences. Also, I'm much more familiar with the RS-1. Using the receiver as a switchbox I can easily switch between the Beresford and my main source. Unfortunatly the volume is slightly higher on my cd player so I'll have to play with that when switching back and forth.

Time for some serious listening!
biggrin.gif

EDIT:
After switching back and forth in the middle of songs for about 30 minutes I'm having a hard time keeping the two apart. The seems to me that the Beresford is slightly more dry and airy, where the Cambridge is a bit fuller sounding. This is very slightly though and at the moment after such a short time I doubt I could tell the difference if someone else was pressing the buttons. Need more listening time.

Jan 4, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #113 of 338
Quote:

Ok, here we go.
Unfortunatly the volume is slightly higher on my cd player so I'll have to play with that when switching back and forth.

I have my TC-7510 connected to the AUX input of my pre-amp. I now also got one of the TC-754 after reading a good review of it in TNT-Audio. The two seem to have been designed for each other, using the same case style and front panel lay-out. The lower input signal requirement of the TC-754 AUX indicates that the TC-7510 most likely was developed with the TC-754 in mind. It's not high-end stuff, but the two are so compact in size, they fit nicely on top of each other next to my laptop desk space. I split the lead for the TC-7510 and joined the, cut, lead form the TC-754 AC adaptor together. So now I use the TC-7510 PSU to power up both units.

Jan 4, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #114 of 338
Quote:

Ok, here we go.

Using optical since the Beresford came with an optical cable. I'll also use coaxial later.

IME, and that of the AVReview article, the Beresford TOSLINK optical cable/connection is rather coarse sounding. IMO co-axial is definitely the way to go.

Jan 4, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #115 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by jandl100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IME, and that of the AVReview article, the Beresford TOSLINK optical cable/connection is rather coarse sounding. IMO co-axial is definitely the way to go.

This can be true. I've mostly been listening to music so far where this wouldn't show. I'll swap it tomorow, when I'll also give it a couple of hours of focussed listening.

Jan 6, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #116 of 338
I have some doubts about quality control on these DACs. I'm on my second one now, and I think it's a Mk II (The 'standby' LED is green when on and red when off). The first one I had was a Mk I and had a faulty volume pot. This one makes a faint high pitched tone when you switch it on at the plug, and the pitch of the tone changes when it's powered up from standby and the input units are changed. It isn't a loud whine, and I can't really hear it once I power up my PC next to it (don't get me started on how annoying the noise from that is). Still, I don't see why it should be there.

I also don't like the fact that when you switch the DAC off, it sends a loud high pitched tone through my headphones unless I remember to disconnect them first. I'd prefer to just leave the headphones attached, but the switch off whine is probably more annoying than having to disconnect and reconnect the headphones every time I want to play music. I should also point out that this was a 'feature' of both versions I have had, so is this the same for everyone? Doesn't it bug anyone else?

Has anyone else had problems with their units? I'm seriously considering getting rid and going for something else.

Cheers,

Q

Jan 7, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #117 of 338
I just ordered one from homehifi.co.uk. Any idea how long delivery takes to North America? I'm getting a little nervous as the site doesn't even say what shipping service they use (probably Royal Mail?) I'm hardly ever home during the day (in school full time) so I need the option of picking it up at the post office if I miss the delivery.

I probably should've ordered from "sranang_boi" on Ebay, but it was sold in the time it took between clicking "Buy it Now" and "Commit to Buy". I didn't realize he was going to post another one right away.

Jan 7, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #118 of 338
I am not sure about delivery to the states, but they were very prompt with my delivery here in the UK. It's worth noting that homehifi.co.uk is Stanley Beresford (and family)'s website, and sranang_boi is Stanley Beresford (the SB is in there). You should therefore expect the same service from both sources.
smily_headphones1.gif

Q

Jan 7, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #119 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure about delivery to the states, but they were very prompt with my delivery here in the UK. It's worth noting that homehifi.co.uk is Stanley Beresford (and family)'s website, and sranang_boi is Stanley Beresford (the SB is in there). You should therefore expect the same service from both sources.
smily_headphones1.gif

Q

Awesome, thanks - can't wait!

Jan 7, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #120 of 338
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This one makes a faint high pitched tone when you switch it on at the plug, and the pitch of the tone changes when it's powered up from standby and the input units are changed. It isn't a loud whine, and I can't really hear it once I power up my PC next to it (don't get me started on how annoying the noise from that is). Still, I don't see why it should be there.

I also don't like the fact that when you switch the DAC off, it sends a loud high pitched tone through my headphones unless I remember to disconnect them first. I'd prefer to just leave the headphones attached, but the switch off whine is probably more annoying than having to disconnect and reconnect the headphones every time I want to play music. I should also point out that this was a 'feature' of both versions I have had, so is this the same for everyone?

Q

It's obviously not using muting transistors at the outputs, which I would guess are not DC coupled as well. Muting transistors can distort the sound even when they are on the OFF state. Many of us quite happily whip out the old soldering iron and physically remove muting transistors from any audio outputs just to make sure the sound is not distorted by a final hurdle at the output. I suppose they could have used a relay instead, not taking cost into consideration. But from my experience with relays in small signal audio paths such as was found on the more expensive tape decks, they can cause their own sets of problems.
I have come to accept it as part of the quirk design of the TC-7510. If you do mainly headphone listening then it might not be the best choice for you. Have you emailed them to ask if there is a mod, or if they ever come up with a solution in the future you can get them to do it for you? If the DAC sounds good other than that, then it is worthwhile considering that option. I had my MKI upgraded to MKII free of charge once I actually asked. So it won't hurt to try your luck
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back