Beoplay E8
Jan 23, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #166 of 581
Jan 23, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #167 of 581
Thanks
How do the Spinfits work on an airplane for isolation? Or are the Comply's (and/or Mandarins) better for this purpose?

Jan 23, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #168 of 581
Thanks
How do the Spinfits work on an airplane for isolation? Or are the Comply's (and/or Mandarins) better for this purpose?

Comply could give more isolation, anatomy depending.

Tips, to me, are not a slam dunk when recommended, but something to fund the testing of to see how it works with your own ears.

I personally find Comply more isolating, but in my case E8 is predominately a commuting bud — furnishing some sonic goodness while suiting my mode of dress and suiting the freedom from wires during the inevitable coat donning and bag-gathering for going from rail to subway.

So while Comply more effectively distances the sonic nuisances of fellow humans and groaning equipment, it also clouds hearing myself in the event of taking a phone call. I cannot gauge how loud I'm speaking in a scenario where I don't want to be the dick annoying others. Ergo, Spinfits; my happy medium ... in medium. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #169 of 581
I got my second copy of the BeoPlay E8s. Unfortunately, they exhibit the same low level right bud crackling when reproducing piano/acoustic guitar type program material as my first copy. Additionally, this copy has slightly less transparency than the first, though the first has 3 weeks of "burn-in" on them.

Surprisingly, the second copy is exhibiting exactly the same drop-out behavior as the first. The first day I was using it, it dropped out with almost every step when I had my phone in the front left pocket and was looking to the right. On the second day, it went down to dropping out only when I initially turn my head to the right. Both days were on v5.4.0. There was one place on my walk where the first day was constant drop-outs with my arms crossed looking to the right to cross a street. The second day had no drop-outs. The outdoor temperature was roughly the same. I think the capacitors are forming a bit under use--solder reflow temperatures of 230C have a tendency to drop capacitor values a bit as their dielectric dipoles get somewhat randomized. I'm suspecting electric fields across them are bringing the dipoles back into alignment, increasing the dielectric constant and bringing capacitances back into spec. Anyway, hand waving . . .

The first copy arrived with version 5.2.0 of the software. The second copy arrived with version 5.3.0. The second version exhibited crackling on both 5.3.0 and 5.4.0.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #170 of 581
I got my second copy of the BeoPlay E8s. Unfortunately, they exhibit the same low level right bud crackling when reproducing piano/acoustic guitar type program material as my first copy. Additionally, this copy has slightly less transparency than the first, though the first has 3 weeks of "burn-in" on them.

Surprisingly, the second copy is exhibiting exactly the same drop-out behavior as the first. The first day I was using it, it dropped out with almost every step when I had my phone in the front left pocket and was looking to the right. On the second day, it went down to dropping out only when I initially turn my head to the right. Both days were on v5.4.0. There was one place on my walk where the first day was constant drop-outs with my arms crossed looking to the right to cross a street. The second day had no drop-outs. The outdoor temperature was roughly the same. I think the capacitors are forming a bit under use--solder reflow temperatures of 230C have a tendency to drop capacitor values a bit as their pinned dielectrics get somewhat randomized. I'm suspecting voltages across them are bringing the dipoles back into alignment, increasing the dielectric constant and capacitance back into spec. Anyway, hand waving . . .

The first copy arrived with version 5.2.0 of the software. The second copy arrived with version 5.3.0. The second version exhibited crackling on both 5.3.0 and 5.4.0.

That's disappointing to hear. I too have just sent my E8s back for an exchange, directly to Beoplay through their website by UPS. Hopefully, the replacement I get from them will have no problems...

Jan 25, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #171 of 581
My getting the Comply assorted size Comfort tips will not be the expense I thought it might be. Normally, with assortments, you find the size that fits and the other 2 go to waste.

Turns out the small fit me well and it did a good job of isolation. As far as I'm concerned, when the small fall apart, I'll mash the medium and large down to size and I'll handle the pressure, if that's what it takes to obtain full use of the assortment. And probably after that, I'll be more specific if I decide to get the Comfort again.

Jan 25, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #172 of 581
Coming late to this party but I just returned a pair of E8's due to the random short dropouts that happened quite frequently in the left earbud. Unacceptable at this price point.

Wondering if anyone who had this problem returned a pair and got a (newer) pair that did not have the same problem. I'm hoping it was a manufacturing issue which has been addressed. Can't get a straight answer from B&O.

Jan 26, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #174 of 581
Does anybody use E8 with multiple devices successfully? Not simultaneously but at least being able to connect manually from Bluetooth properties.

I can’t manage to connect back to the second device without going through the pairing process again. And then I should remove E8 from Bluetooth devices list on first phone and pair it again to connect to the first one.

Jan 26, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #178 of 581
Connecting the E8’s between different devices is a huge pain in the butt. It took me 10 minutes to pair it to my Apple Watch today.

I’m also getting a right bud drop out today. Also, something weird happens where transparency turns on just a little while the music is playing (even though I didn’t turn it on).

These things are frustrating, but very enjoyable too. I think the sound is really awesome, but the convenience is no where near that of AirPods. I’m going to give them a couple more weeks before I decide to return them or not

Jan 26, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #179 of 581
Am I the only person who didn't get a defective pair? I use mine every single day with no issues at all.

Count me in with no issues. But I’d hate to lose one, then be gambling on a replacement bud. :)

Jan 26, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #180 of 581
Had a problem for a few weeks where the vocals moved to the left channel, but that seems to have gone away. Overall no problems and love the sound of these things. Still running 5.20 FW. People still having problems with 5.4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back