Beoplay E8
Jan 15, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #136 of 581
I think modern chargers like Anker only supply what the device calls for (even though they have the capability to supply more)??
Yes, most of them today are somewhat smart... But they might tend to hurry the charging process, it's been a while since I've seen such low power requirement. 750 mAh. They might have put the common 1Ah like most non fast charging phone chargers, like Apple chargers. But they did not. Charge it, touch it, high temp during charging shortens battery life.

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #138 of 581
Which Sony model are you thinking off? I have had WF-1000X which you probably think about. They had good sound and even fit, noise canceling was very weak, in some environments non-existent. What made me return those was huge problems with dropouts in signal between earphones. I couldn't get a clear picture if it was more in crowded places since they sometimes would drive me crazy when I was on my own talking a walk to a nearby forrest. In my opinion they are not worth hassle. It feels like beta-product, not ready for market.
I have Beoplay E8 for times when I want to enjoy music, Jabra Elite Sport 4,5 for training and AirPods for everyday use, mostly as handsfree. I tested Bose SoundSport Free but they were just too big.
Something happened with my Beoplays even before the latest upgrade. For some reason dropouts that I noticed at the beginning are almost gone, feels like earphones have made some kind of calibration. I know it sounds strange but somehow dropouts that still do occur are very suptile and barely noticeable. Salesman in local B&O store told me in November that there was firmware update coming to fix dropout issues. Apparently he like other stores had access to list with planned firmware updates.
The thing I am looking forward to is Sennheisers entry to this part of market.

Thanks.

Hopefully they'll be fine.

Has anyone done a back to back test between these & the Sony'

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #139 of 581
Which Sony model are you thinking off? I have had WF-1000X which you probably think about. They had good sound and even fit, noise canceling was very weak, in some environments non-existent. What made me return those was huge problems with dropouts in signal between earphones. I couldn't get a clear picture if it was more in crowded places since they sometimes would drive me crazy when I was on my own talking a walk to a nearby forrest. In my opinion they are not worth hassle. It feels like beta-product, not ready for market.
I have Beoplay E8 for times when I want to enjoy music, Jabra Elite Sport 4,5 for training and AirPods for everyday use, mostly as handsfree. I tested Bose SoundSport Free but they were just too big.
Something happened with my Beoplays even before the latest upgrade. For some reason dropouts that I noticed at the beginning are almost gone, feels like earphones have made some kind of calibration. I know it sounds strange but somehow dropouts that still do occur are very suptile and barely noticeable. Salesman in local B&O store told me in November that there was firmware update coming to fix dropout issues. Apparently he like other stores had access to list with planned firmware updates.
The thing I am looking forward to is Sennheisers entry to this part of market.

For me the drop outs have become more frequent after the upgrade to the latest fw but still not enough to seriously bother me

Jan 16, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #141 of 581
Today I charged them with measurements. You can use any 5V adapter and you can leave them overnight (I still wouldn't do that). They take only the amperage they need and they stop on full charge. That's nice.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #142 of 581
I love the sound, fit and looks of the E8s, but like the others have described, the crackling on the right earbud and constant drop-outs (since the last firmware upgrade) are really bothering me. So much that I've gone back using Airpods. At home I have full-size cans that sound better anyway. I hope a future firmware upgrade will solve my problems...

Jan 17, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #143 of 581
I love the sound, fit and looks of the E8s, but like the others have described, the crackling on the right earbud and constant drop-outs (since the last firmware upgrade) are really bothering me. So much that I've gone back using Airpods. At home I have full-size cans that sound better anyway. I hope a future firmware upgrade will solve my problems...
Try a total reset, don't know if it will help, mine doesn't have the crackling but it sure sounded weird until reset and re-pair with all my devices..

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #144 of 581
As a follow-up to my initial report after receiving these over the weekend- and setting them up trouble free - I had my first extended use session today. A two hour flight - zero problems and zero issues. They actually performed quite well with the Comply tips - and some here have mentioned that they are not even the isolation model. I now have a set of Mandarine tips on order and am curious to see how they do. Seriously thinking about retiring my H9's for airline travel. These are simply to convenient to carry around!

Sorry to those who are having issues however I think it is important for others considering these to hear from those who have not encountered any problems

Jan 17, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #146 of 581
Tried it already, I'm afraid. No improvements at all...

That kind of trouble could stem from a bad copy. Try to get them fixed or replaced on warranty.

Jan 17, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #149 of 581
Yeah, I think I'll do that. Hopefully a set for another batch won't exhibit the same problems, cuz I actually really like these...

I bought just before Christmas, preferring Amazon, and I purposely waited for Amazon to get re-stocked on them (The gray was sold out and were incoming).

My strategy was that they might have folded into them any of the emerging improvements to reported issues dating back to initial release. The chance for real world testing came when I went back to commuting; my actual intentions for them. But they are proving to be solid performers for movie watching, handling the sonic variance and with zero lag.

Jan 18, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #150 of 581
My symbio Mandarins arrived. Beoplay E8 sound improved during an initial test within a quiet environment, but my ear canal shapes don't work well with them for commuting duty.

I could tell earlier today when the non-moving train I sat in was running the heating fan. The fan sound was reduced on insertion, but not all that much. Opening my jaw reduced the seal; closing jaw brought it back where it was. I tried both medium and small tip sizes.

My medium Spin Fits, on the other hand, accommodated whatever shape is going on in my ears. Far less fussy to insert. More confidence that the E8s will remain in place. Opening jaw had no seal reducing effect whatsoever.

I'll hold onto the Mandarins out of curiosity, testing them with other IEMs. As for E8, having tried the Mandarins is spurring me to give a test run with the included Comply to see what they do to the sound.

I hadn't tried Comply because my initial experience listening to E8 demos in the store was with the included medium silicones — and I was taken aback by a fit and seal that delivered the kind of sound that, well, sealed the deal for me.

Before that (and with other IEMS), I'd use Shure Olives to reach the depth what I was hearing. But I learned reading Headfi somewhere that the olives could blunt some treble. So I kind of wanted to remain with silicones and then was introduced to Spin Fits and acquired them just prior to my E8's showing up. So it was Spin Fit from then on. Beoplay stock silicones and included Comply are still sitting in the poly bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back