Beoplay E8
Jan 10, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #91 of 581
An update on the right bud crackling issue I mentioned last week. It goes away if I turn the volume of my iPhone up to 90-100%. Normally, I listen at 60-70%. Go figure. I'm bemused. (There's a thread on BeoPlay's forum mentioning the crackling as well. It seems to be a characteristic of this design.)

Other than the crackling, the E8 is the best sounding wireless IEMs I have. It would be almost perfect without the crackling:
- E8: + Great high and low extension, good space, staging, and air, compact case. - Low level crackling in the right bud on almost any track without masking percussion, some drop-outs but better than Sony and Bragi.
- Sony WF1000x: + Rich, full sound. - Drop-outs, high and low frequency extension not as great as E8, cantilevered design causes ear canal distortion while walking, some white noise background, battery life, took out of case after a few days and buds reported 50% charge even though case was fully charged
- Bragi Dash: + My first wireless. - Drop-outs, very mid centric sound, white noise background, heavy case
- SOL Republic Air 3: +Nice case with battery indicator. +Very harsh high frequency centric sound, big buds

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #92 of 581
An update on the right bud crackling issue I mentioned last week. It goes away if I turn the volume of my iPhone up to 90-100%. Normally, I listen at 60-70%. Go figure. I'm bemused. (There's a thread on BeoPlay's forum mentioning the crackling as well. It seems to be a characteristic of this design.)

Other than the crackling, the E8 is the best sounding wireless IEMs I have. It would be almost perfect without the crackling:
- E8: + Great high and low extension, good space, staging, and air, compact case. - Low level crackling in the right bud on almost any track without masking percussion, some drop-outs but better than Sony and Bragi.
- Sony WF1000x: + Rich, full sound. - Drop-outs, high and low frequency extension not as great as E8, cantilevered design causes ear canal distortion while walking, some white noise background, battery life, took out of case after a few days and buds reported 50% charge even though case was fully charged
- Bragi Dash: + My first wireless. - Drop-outs, very mid centric sound, white noise background, heavy case
- SOL Republic Air 3: +Nice case with battery indicator. +Very harsh high frequency centric sound, big buds

Interesting comment on the crackling, I have not had that so i don't know whether it is a characteristic of the design. My only criticism of the E8 is (very) occasionally i get a drop out that completely changes the soundscape, pushing vocals predominantly tho the left channel. It is still stereo, so i don't know what or how it happens. A quick pause of the music and the stereo sound-stage is correctly reset.

Ill add 2 others

Earins - Great sound, best case and charging i have seen,, but bad drop outs that require putting both buds back in the case, waiting, and then re-connecting. And one died shortly after the warranty expired.
Bragi - Agree with all of those comments (particularly heavy case) but i love the ability to put music on the bud and play without the phone being nearby (great for gardening). As this product does so much (health monitoring wise) the sound is pretty average though, i think sound was one of the last considerations
Trinity Air - the less said about this disgraceful project the better. even though i am one of the few "lucky" one to actually have received these products almost a year later than promised, I have two pairs, one pair drops out every five seconds, the other pair doesn't connect at all and the battery in one wont charge. The proponent is one of the biggest liars on fraudsters on kickstarters, so i have not taken up their kind offer of returning my dodgy products, as they will just send them to some other sucker and i will be out of pocket postage

Jan 12, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #94 of 581
I'm loving these E8 while commuting. They're handling movie soundtrack dynamics very well. Such as Bourne Legacy tracks by James Newton Howard. Notes you can almost grab a hold of, they're so well-defined and dimensional sounding; from delicate through to powerful passages. Mine are ripped from CD, played through iPhone X.

Can't wait for my Mandarins to show up and find out how they might enhance what I'm hearing.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #95 of 581
I can't believe my ears how good they sound! Better than many wired ones. Generally, I don't have a very positive impression about BT (SQ wise). It is what it is, good for it's purpose, but these...!
Now the App, though I like it, it only finds them once per connection, if I close it or even minimize it.. good bye, so long! It will only find them only after re-placing them in the case again. That can be annoying at times.
How does the App work for you? Any workaround? Is the phone killing it's processes or smth?

Jan 13, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #96 of 581
I can't believe my ears how good they sound! Better than many wired ones. Generally, I don't have a very positive impression about BT (SQ wise). It is what it is, good for it's purpose, but these...!
Now the App, though I like it, it only finds them once per connection, if I close it or even minimize it.. good bye, so long! It will only find them only after re-placing them in the case again. That can be annoying at times.
How does the App work for you? Any workaround? Is the phone killing it's processes or smth?

I use them with iPhone8 and have no problem with the app, finds the phones every time.

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #98 of 581
I'm on board with the E8's. Just doing all the Firmware Updates & then gonna give a spin.

Did you guys 'run' them in before you made a decision on what you thought of them or do they sound as is straight out the box?

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #99 of 581
I'm on board with the E8's. Just doing all the Firmware Updates & then gonna give a spin.

Did you guys 'run' them in before you made a decision on what you thought of them or do they sound as is straight out the box?

This is definitely a run in process, it sounded sharp when I first got it. My lasted over a week. Then one morning something just popped. And from that point it was awesome.

Jan 13, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #101 of 581
What sold me on E8's in the B&O store was the fit and the sound, using a demo pair with its included silicone medium tips. Struggle-free sonic goodness from the get-go stunned me.

I was recalling how much labor and $ was involved with prior IEM's of mine that I'd had to tip roll in order to attain what I liked.

Although I had no idea how long the demo set had been in use by that time and I hadn't thought to ask. I hadn't the time to spend in the store as I would have liked.

Jan 13, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #102 of 581
Mine sounded good straight away. No need for burn in. It might get better with time. Or with brain burn in.
Anyone on Android having issues with the App not connecting to them after minimized or closed?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #103 of 581
I have a couple of questions as I'm getting used to these--any help would be appreciated:
1) How is the sound on transparency mode? I'm surprised how bad it is on my unit - sounds like a blown tweeter with lots of crackling of voices. Is this what is to be expected or is my unit bad. It does not affect playback.
2) Someone mentioned a sound stage setting - is this available on the iOS app? I don't see it.
3) I'm finding the maximum volume to be fairly quiet. I have not been on a train with them yet, but just around the house I find myself turning the volume up to almost maximum. Just my unit? my ears? solutions?
4) Does the iOS app automatically use the best/AAC codec?

Thanks,
Mark

Jan 13, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #105 of 581
Are these earphones noise cancelling? I did look at the Sony mx1000.

Passive noise cancelling only, not active like the Sony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back