Benjie Offical Thread
Jan 22, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #1,096 of 2,126
Took the S5 on vacation last week. Got to about 26 hours before I charged. It was still playing but the indicator was near the end.

Jan 22, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #1,097 of 2,126
Took the S5 on vacation last week. Got to about 26 hours before I charged. It was still playing but the indicator was near the end.

26?! What source files were u using?

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #1,098 of 2,126
Jan 23, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #1,100 of 2,126
Jan 23, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #1,101 of 2,126
I think I might be the first person to regret buying the S5. I should have bought the Colorful C3 instead for only double the price.

The S5 sounds metallic and slightly hollow, it also seems maybe a slight harsh on my ears (with the Benjie buds), or that could be an allergy to the included foams? I'll try other foams/buds when they arrive. With a Topping NX1A amp, the sound improves a lot. It's hard to tell the metallic/hollow sound is even there anymore. Maybe it isn't.

But if you add the cost of the amp ($47) and the S5 player ($28), it'd be about $10 Canadian more than the Colorful C3, and I wouldn't have to carry an amp.

I should have just bought the Colorful C3 for much better sound.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #1,102 of 2,126
  I think I might be the first person to regret buying the S5. I should have bought the Colorful C3 instead for only double the price.

The S5 sounds metallic and slightly hollow, it also seems maybe a slight harsh on my ears (with the Benjie buds) or that could be an allergy to the included foams? I'll try other foams/buds when they arrive. With a Topping NX1A amp, the sound improves a lot. It's hard to tell the metallic/hollow sound is even there.

But if you add the cost of the amp ($47) and the S5 player ($28), it'd be about $10 Canadian more than the Colorful C3. I should have just bought the Colorful C3 for much better sound.

that's a shame you feel that way, although one may offer the phrase look before you leap perhaps more research was necessary before you made your purchase, however in this game you will only truly know for yourself. the S5 is by no means terrible. perhaps try playing with the preset equalizer. save up for the Colorfly C3, I still think you would need the amp with it.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #1,103 of 2,126

that's a shame you feel that way, although one may offer the phrase look before you leap perhaps more research was necessary before you made your purchase, however in this game you will only truly know for yourself. the S5 is by no means terrible. perhaps try playing with the preset equalizer. save up for the Colorfly C3, I still think you would need the amp with it.

I guess the problem lies in not knowing the C3 was only $50 on Ali. I've seen it for almost double the price on other sites. That's what made me give up, considering other players were in the same price realm and now I'd have to research those too. At $50. the C3 is in it's own realm and is easily reachable. There's no need to save up for it. It's only $65.00 CAN.

But I have a Walnut v2 coming ($40), so I'll check that out first. I have a feeling from the reviews, that's going to be much much better than either of these.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #1,104 of 2,126
I guess the problem lies in not knowing the C3 was only $50 on Ali. I've seen it for almost double the price on other sites. That's what made me give up, considering other players were in the same price realm and now I'd have to research those too. At $50. the C3 is in it's own realm and is easily reachable. There's no need to save up for it. It's only $65.00 CAN.

But I have a Walnut v2 coming ($40), so I'll check that out first. I have a feeling from the reviews, that's going to be much much better than either of these.
try ck4+ :wink:

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #1,107 of 2,126
If you're about to buy an S5... listen to this.

It's best for electronic music, then hip hop/rap and then acoustic. Acoustic might even be equal to in sound quality or better than hip hop/rap. I've tested this with FLAC's, a Topping NX1A amp while using the included ear buds. The S5 really does sound sub-par with any other form of music. I'm currently listening to Prozzak's Hot Show album and it sounds amazing! Better than I've ever heard from a CD Player with random headphones.

The included ear buds are incredible in this configuration (S5 with Topping NX1A). It's like having a pair of high-end speakers glued to your head. I've never heard anything close to this in my life and for $75.00 Canadian, it's good value. 

But, the Colorfly C3 is probably better. :wink:

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #1,108 of 2,126
If you're about to buy a S5.... listen to this.

It's great with music, all kind of music. It performs way higher than its sales price of $15-25 but (and this may come as a surprise for some) it's not the best player available ever at any price. Just like every other player, or other source, I've ever tried at any price it will not pair great with every available earbud, headphone or IEM's out there so please try more than one pair with it and you may be pleasantly surprised.

If you should be so unfortunate not to like the S5 there's always the possibility to sell it and buy something better for $15, if you find any please let me know.

But, the Opus #1 is better :wink:

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #1,109 of 2,126
It's great with music, all kind of music. It performs way higher than its sales price of $15-25 but (and this may come as a surprise for some) it's not the best player available ever at any price. Just like every other player, or other source, I've ever tried at any price it will not pair great with every available earbud, headphone or IEM's out there so please try more than one pair with it and you may be pleasantly surprised.

If you should be so unfortunate not to like the S5 there's always the possibility to sell it and buy something better for $15, if you find any please let me know.

But, the Opus #1 is better
wink.gif

Are you sure this S5 will sound better with other headphones? I guess we have to carry a couple pairs with us to entertain all musical options? I'm waiting for more ear buds in the mail, so I'll let you know if what you say is true... in my opinion. Right out of the box with the included ear buds, only those forms of music sound good.

I don't think price means anything under $100 or even under $50.00. Everyone that's going to buy a portable music player probably has that budget. Then again, maybe that's why most people stick to listening to music on their cell phones. Convenience and to save money. I don't carry my cell phone everywhere I go because of potential cancer issues, so buying a music player is the next best thing.

You're right, in a North American sense (companies), there's no way you're going to find any of them sell a better deal than the S5, especially for $20US/$30CAN. 

I'll try and use my S5 more without an amp (to see if it still sounds great) because that's what how I wanted to use it the first place... I'm not sure why I bought an NX1A because I don't want to carry it around. Hopefully, it'll be of use one day.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #1,110 of 2,126
  Are you sure this S5 will sound better with other headphones? I guess we have to carry a couple pairs with us to entertain all musical options? I'm waiting for more ear buds in the mail, so I'll let you know if what you say is true... in my opinion. Right out of the box with the included ear buds, only those forms of music sound good.

I don't think price means anything under $100 or even under $50.00. Everyone that's going to buy a portable music player probably has that budget. Then again, maybe that's why most people stick to listening to music on their cell phones. Convenience and to save money. I don't carry my cell phone everywhere I go because of potential cancer issues, so buying a music player is the next best thing.

You're right, in a North American sense (companies), there's no way you're going to find any of them sell a better deal than the S5, especially for $20US/$30CAN. 

I'll try and use my S5 more without an amp (to see if it still sounds great) because that's what how I wanted to use it the first place... I'm not sure why I bought an NX1A because I don't want to carry it around. Hopefully, it'll be of use one day.

Well, there's never any guarantees but I do enjoy the S5 with a lot of my headphones and it's my impression that many other does as well. Maybe the shortcomings you're hearing comes from the earbuds (they're quite hard to drive iirc) and not the player. I agree with you about under $50 palyers, when you're moving upo towards $100 you've got offerings like the Hidiz AP60 and Shanling M1 which I'd consider to be on another level compared to the S5 in both sound and everything else. 

Yeah, I paid $14,68 for my S5 and I'm considering to be a very good value for money. 

I've never heard the C3 but from reading it's my understanding that it has a low power output so if you decide to try it out you'd probably get use for the NX1 there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back