Benchmark DAC3 HGC (w/ ESS Sabre 9028PRO)
Jan 26, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #271 of 329
So my dac3 rca out for the left channel has stopped working. I popped the lid and the wire is no longer attached to the pcb board. I received it new a little over a week ago.

I have contacted Rory at benchmark and requested a replacement unit shipped and then I will return the defective unit. I'm hoping the customer service is as good (usually) as their equipment.

Sorry to hear about that. Let us know how you fare.

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #272 of 329
So my dac3 rca out for the left channel has stopped working. I popped the lid and the wire is no longer attached to the pcb board. I received it new a little over a week ago.

I have contacted Rory at benchmark and requested a replacement unit shipped and then I will return the defective unit. I'm hoping the customer service is as good as their equipment.

I hope for your sake that it's better :wink:

Jan 27, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #274 of 329
Yeah me too. First time having an issue with their gear after being a loyal dac customer for the last 10 years.

Yeah sorry I didn't mean to be insensitive but the way you worded it I was unable to resist. It sucks when you pay huge money for something and then it doesn't work as expected, or it breaks. I hope and I am sure they will resolve it. But this should never have happened in the first place.

I was considering the Benchmark but the lack of support for high bit rate DSD (not like there is tons available at the moment) and lack of MQA were deal-killers for me. Looks like a great unit though :)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #275 of 329
Rory is incredible! He has already shipped out a replacement and I should have it on Wednesday. He has graciously allowed me to keep using the xlr outs on the broken model until the replacement arrives. Amazing customer service and Rory is a true gentleman!

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #276 of 329
Glad to hear it!

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #277 of 329
Rory is incredible! He has already shipped out a replacement and I should have it on Wednesday. He has graciously allowed me to keep using the xlr outs on the broken model until the replacement arrives. Amazing customer service and Rory is a true gentleman!

Great news!

Jan 29, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #278 of 329
Rory was indeed very helpful to me previously as well. Purchased the HPA4 and DAC 3 B from him. Benchmark overall is one of those companies I respect in the audio game, they are a no nonsense company and passion runs through their veins.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #280 of 329
New and very happy user of the Benchmark HPA4 and DAC3 B combo! I had been enjoying the HPA4 with another dac (Resonessence Invicta) but based on the reported synergy between the Benchmark amp and dac, I decided to replace the Invicta with the DAC3 B. The improvement in overall sound quality was quite impressive, to say the least. This was actually a bit surprising since both use the same ESS9028PRO dac chip and the Invicta was a highly rated dac, at least when it was reviewed a few years ago. I'm not quite sure how to explain the difference except to again emphasize the critical importance of system matching/synergy. To sum up, the Benchmark team has really knocked this combo out of the ballpark. Very highly recommended.

Apr 16, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #281 of 329
One question to you guys, i didn't find it in the manual or maybe it doesn't exist.

I use my DAC3 HGC mostly in HT mode.

Quote from the manual:
The HT mode sets the volume control to a
calibrated level that is near its maximum
setting.

This means when the device is turned on, the motorized volume control moves to this calibrated level and when it is turned off, it moves back to zero.

Is it possible to somehow configure it that the volume pot stays always in the same calibrated position without moving when the device is switched on/off?

Apr 18, 2020 at 7:10 AM Post #282 of 329
One question to you guys, i didn't find it in the manual or maybe it doesn't exist.

I use my DAC3 HGC mostly in HT mode.

Quote from the manual:

This means when the device is turned on, the motorized volume control moves to this calibrated level and when it is turned off, it moves back to zero.

Is it possible to somehow configure it that the volume pot stays always in the same calibrated position without moving when the device is switched on/off?
I use my dac2 in ht mode, and no it will not stay in the calibration setting unfortunately.

On a side note, loving the dac3b with the icon audio hp8 and bryston bha1!

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #283 of 329
DAC 3 is one of my favorite DACS for many reasons.

1. Price
2. Stacks with HPA4 Beautifully
3. Small Foot Print
4. Great Overall DAC with Heavy Value

Apr 19, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #284 of 329
Having some fun listening time today... 15873160789536560447811682028473.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back