Benchmark DAC3 HGC (w/ ESS Sabre 9028PRO)
Sep 2, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #181 of 329
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will be keeping the dac2 because of you all. Perhaps I will upgrade my 1080p projector to 4k instead...

Save your money for an end game dac... like denafrips terminator or even yggy2. Not worth paying that much for a incremental upgrade.

Sep 2, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #182 of 329
What about your thoughts on the Mytek Brooklyn dac+ vs the benchmark dac2?

I can pick the Mytek up for the same price as the dac3. Worth it? Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #183 of 329
What about your thoughts on the Mytek Brooklyn dac+ vs the benchmark dac2?

I can pick the Mytek up for the same price as the dac3. Worth it? Thanks

Not worth it at all. Too incremental of a step up. I'd say your next purchase should be denafrips Terminator or if on a super budget at least yggy 2. I'd enjoy your current rig for at least 1 or 2 more years than take the plunge.

As for amp I'd master 9 if on a super budget or if you want a more euphonic sound maybe la figuro 229. If going for high end then I'd go either he9 or dna stratus.

I'd go as high as you can go so you don't spend excessive money going up the ladder.

Oct 24, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #186 of 329
@smodtactical, there is forum called audiosciencereview . a person named amir m measured yggy 2 and it measured not so good specially se output. for the price it should have done better. what more nobody has refuted those measurement in that forum yet.

That site is awful. It's heavily biased. Most of the recommendations are for crappy Topping equipment.

Nov 2, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #188 of 329
@smodtactical, there is forum called audiosciencereview . a person named amir m measured yggy 2 and it measured not so good specially se output. for the price it should have done better. what more nobody has refuted those measurement in that forum yet.
There's been plenty of refutation on this forum (with counter measurements) and elsewhere. ASR is Amirs site so you wouldn't go looking there for a counterpoint.

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #189 of 329
Anybody heard any rumors of the DAC4? I am eagerly anticipating a day-one purchase of that, provided I don't cave before then and buy a DAC3.

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #191 of 329
No. Why? Have you?

Nope. Still desperately searching. I don't know what their turnaround is for new releases, but it's been two years or so since DAC3 dropped. They have to be working on a DAC with a 9038, right?

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #192 of 329
Nope. Still desperately searching. I don't know what their turnaround is for new releases, but it's been two years or so since DAC3 dropped. They have to be working on a DAC with a 9038, right?
Not necessarily. Benchmark isnt a company to continuously introduce new kit just for the sake of it. I'd bet that a DAC 4 would have to have a significantly better DAC chip, and right know i know of nothing. Also, I see a new DAC 4 with a different user interface. That seems to be the biggest complaint amongst its users. Personally, i love the rudimentary look. I can live w/o fancy displays and lights.

Mar 29, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #193 of 329
Not necessarily. Benchmark isnt a company to continuously introduce new kit just for the sake of it. I'd bet that a DAC 4 would have to have a significantly better DAC chip, and right know i know of nothing. Also, I see a new DAC 4 with a different user interface. That seems to be the biggest complaint amongst its users. Personally, i love the rudimentary look. I can live w/o fancy displays and lights.

Granted, but I guess I am really hoping that they release a DAC with a 9038. I'm not one to chase the chip, but the specs on that particular chip are incredible, and Benchmark would be one company I would trust to actually wring maximum performance out of it.

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #194 of 329
Granted, but I guess I am really hoping that they release a DAC with a 9038. I'm not one to chase the chip, but the specs on that particular chip are incredible, and Benchmark would be one company I would trust to actually wring maximum performance out of it.
I may be wrong but i believe the 9028 was an exact drop in replacement for the 9018. I'm not sure the 9038 was. That may have been a consideration. Dont worry. Whatever the DAC4 is , it will surely kick ass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back