Benchmark DAC3 HGC (w/ ESS Sabre 9028PRO)
Aug 15, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #168 of 329
I also reviewed Hugo 2 and Benchmark DAC3 HGC. Along with Lake People (Violectric) Reference Series DAC & amp, ADI-2 Pro and DAC, Hugo 1 & TT.

Obviously Benchmark has the advantage of the many connections. The DAC is great but as a head-amp I would prefer any of the others. It is very difficult to control the volume precisely. If you use some heavy headphones, that's ok. It provides plenty of power for insane volume, but the two headphone outs are not versatile nor graceful.

Personally, I went with the Hugo 2 for portability and the ADI-2 Pro as desktop solution. I don't think I will upgrade either for a few years. I don't have any super-difficult-to-drive headphones like the Abyss, so these two performed best for my needs.
Sorry for asking a question on an old post of yours. But, I wonder how's DAC3 HGC vs Violectric DACs (V800 or V850?) to your ears? Also, what was the best DAC to your ears for pure DAC duty only? Thanks!!

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #169 of 329
Sorry for asking a question on an old post of yours. But, I wonder how's DAC3 HGC vs Violectric DACs (V800 or V850?) to your ears? Also, what was the best DAC to your ears for pure DAC duty only? Thanks!!
What exactly do you mean by "DAC duty only"?

A) If you are talking about whatever happens before analog amplification, my answer is very simple. None of the devices will ever create audible flaws for a consumer as long as he has human hearing. I'm not saying you cannot hear large amounts of jitter, high THD, strong crosstalk, wrong phase, etc., but when you're asking about RME, Chord, Benchmark, Lake People/ Violectric, etc. it really shouldn't make a difference - unlike some mobile DACs (tablet, smartphone, laptop).

B) If you want to include the analog output, what you most likely will hear is a synergy with the headphones you are using. Of course, this is also part of the DAC. But it will depend on your audio chain. Do you plan to use the DAC as a pre-amp for speakers or use the headphone out?

Aug 16, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #170 of 329
The additional price of the HGC headphone out variant compared to the standard version is worth it. I agree with HuoYuanJia that you should be looking for synergy with analogue equipment be it acting as a pre-amp or with headphones. I have IEMs that pair wonderfully with the Benchmark DAC3 HGC but also well regarded headphones that sound rather bad. I find that the DAC3 exposes and highlights weaknesses and faults with headphones. For example if there is a frequency peak this will be apparent, it doesn't sugar coat anything. As a DAC the Benchmark DAC3 has very good detail retrieval and you can't go wrong. Once you get to the $2k+ mark differences amongst good DAC's are subtle and it's entirely subjective whether you prefer one or the other in my opinion. It's up to you to decide.

Aug 16, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #171 of 329
What exactly do you mean by "DAC duty only"?

A) If you are talking about whatever happens before analog amplification, my answer is very simple. None of the devices will ever create audible flaws for a consumer as long as he has human hearing. I'm not saying you cannot hear large amounts of jitter, high THD, strong crosstalk, wrong phase, etc., but when you're asking about RME, Chord, Benchmark, Lake People/ Violectric, etc. it really shouldn't make a difference - unlike some mobile DACs (tablet, smartphone, laptop).

B) If you want to include the analog output, what you most likely will hear is a synergy with the headphones you are using. Of course, this is also part of the DAC. But it will depend on your audio chain. Do you plan to use the DAC as a pre-amp for speakers or use the headphone out
I will be using the preamp out to my headamp Violectric V281. So, headphone out on DAC won’t matter much for me. I read Violectirc V850 has somewhat similar tonal balance to Benchmark DACs. Violectic V850 will stack better on the top of my V281 and is a bit cheaper, but I’m reading Dac3 HGC may be viewed as more of a technical unit. I wonder if either DACs do something better compared each other from the people who has first hand experience. But, it was hard to find a person who heard both Violectric and Benchmark DAC. Anything you recall on their sound signatures such as details, timbre or soundstage?

Aug 17, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #172 of 329
But, it was hard to find a person who heard both Violectric and Benchmark DAC. Anything you recall on their sound signatures such as details, timbre or soundstage?
Not from memory. But I can quote from my reviews:
As a whole, the Benchmark DAC3 HGC might impress more consumers that are looking for a good companion in the living room. The abundance of in- and outputs make it easier to implement it in a speaker setup, as well as the convenience of a remote. It cannot match the superior headphone amplification, though, whereas the DAC unit sonically performs on a similar level.
Sonically, the Lake People Reference Series comes very close [to the Benchmark DAC3 HGC]. The RS06 DAC sounds alike in many ways, but adding a dedicated head-amp to the RS 06 set closes the price gap significantly. Yet you’d still lack the comfort of a remote and a multitude of connections. The Lake People does not even allow two optical inputs at the same time.

Pulling my writer’s choice 2016 RME’s ADI-2 Pro into the mix, also with a dual 6.3mm head-amp, I must say there are two completely different motivations behind the products. The Benchmark DAC3 is a device that simply works – a wonderful plug ‘n’ play DAC. The RME, however, might bother the user with firmware upgrades, different DA filters, dual EQ settings, different settings for different outputs, etc. And then it doesn’t even have regular RCA connections.

Sonically, the RME is somewhat of a chameleon but never loses a more musical touch thanks to the AKM chips. The DAC3 will always sound more transparent, though. This should be an easy pick. Either you are looking for a desktop solution for monitoring and tweaking, or you need a carefree package that will be the heart of your stereo system for a long time.
Do keep in mind that I had the Lake People Reference Series at home (which is basically but not exactly the Violectric units.) After having the DAC3, the Lake People RS and the RME ADI-2 Pro at home at the same time (and Hugo 2), I bought myself the RME ADI-2 Pro because I think it easily provides the best value of all the devices. It's a Pro device, though, so be sure to read the lengthy manual and do a lot of online research on how to tweak and improve your system. The cheaper ADI-2 DAC is even more recommendable, IMO.

Aug 17, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #173 of 329
Picked one up... does it need major burn-in? Cause it sounds very shrill and tissy for me on day 1. Ive has Sabre days before and didn’t sound this light. Also the bass has no extension. If this doesn’t change, gonna have to return it.
Had a bad unit. Replacement one sounds pristine and transparent. This dac does not sound harsh like most ESS implementations I've heard. A++ Benchmark!

Aug 17, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #174 of 329
Not from memory. But I can quote from my reviews:

Do keep in mind that I had the Lake People Reference Series at home (which is basically but not exactly the Violectric units.) After having the DAC3, the Lake People RS and the RME ADI-2 Pro at home at the same time (and Hugo 2), I bought myself the RME ADI-2 Pro because I think it easily provides the best value of all the devices. It's a Pro device, though, so be sure to read the lengthy manual and do a lot of online research on how to tweak and improve your system. The cheaper ADI-2 DAC is even more recommendable, IMO.
Thanks for the detailed feedbakcs! I did not know you had published those reviews. Non pro version of RME ADI-2 happen to be on my radar too along with Chord Cutest.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #176 of 329
Hi fellas, question for you. I've had the dac2 for a few years now and I'm toying with the idea of getting a dac3. I have a bryston 4bsst2 and Golden reference triton 1 speakers. I can sell the dac2 on canuck audio mart for around $1100 so I'm looking at 2k CAD out of pocket to upgrade. Is the difference negligible or is it worth the cost? Or is there any other dac preamp in this price that you all would recommend instead? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #177 of 329
Hi fellas, question for you. I've had the dac2 for a few years now and I'm toying with the idea of getting a dac3. I have a bryston 4bsst2 and Golden reference triton 1 speakers. I can sell the dac2 on canuck audio mart for around $1100 so I'm looking at 2k CAD out of pocket to upgrade. Is the difference negligible or is it worth the cost? Or is there any other dac preamp in this price that you all would recommend instead? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I once owned the DAC2. I'd say wait till a DAC4 comes out. Just my opinion.

Sep 2, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #178 of 329
I once owned the DAC2. I'd say wait till a DAC4 comes out. Just my opinion.
The DAC2 is more than capable. Even with DAC3 around. If you dont have a desktop DAC/headphone amp yet going for DAC3 make sense. But if you have DAC2 already, I don’t think it make sense to upgrade to DAC3.

I wish Benchmark add modern useful features instead of just changing DAC chip and chasing better measurements. e.g. wireless streaming. roon support etc.

At this day and age the current DAC3 is really well behind and shows it’s age. But no doubt sound-wise can easily compete with anything out there.

Sep 2, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #179 of 329
I've owned a DAC2 for a few years now. It's a great performer. I agree with others above: no real need to spend on the upgrade to DAC3. The Stereophile review of the DAC3 quotes Benchmark themselves as saying there wouldn't be any audible difference between the two. To my mind, the biggest reason to make the upgrade now... Let's be honest, sometimes the urge to upgrade whispers in your ear until you relent. If you know you'll do it eventually, it's better to sell the DAC2 before it loses too much re-sale value. As far as competing products with similar prices and form-factors, the most obvious one is the Mytek Brooklyn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back