Benchmark DAC3 HGC (w/ ESS Sabre 9028PRO)
Feb 14, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #76 of 329
Yeah, I'm really leaning towards the DAC3 over the Yggy. Just a totally different approach!

Yeah very different. I wish I could own both and A/B, not possible being in Canada. Auditioning at shows doesn't really cut it for DACs.

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #77 of 329
Yeah, I'm really leaning towards the DAC3 over the Yggy. Just a totally different approach!

Yeah very different. I wish I could own both and A/B, not possible being in Canada. Auditioning at shows doesn't really cut it for DACs.

OK, I will admit it. My goal is to eventually own both. But it will not happen tomorrow, LOL.

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #78 of 329
OK, I will admit it. My goal is to eventually own both. But it will not happen tomorrow, LOL.

Let me know when that happens. Would love a comparison, but audiophiles have kinda fallen out of love from Benchmark so hard to find someone who owns both.

I have owned one R2R DAC for a long time, the audio-gd M11. I definitely prefer the the Benchmark, the M11 colors the sound in a nice way but I have changed my philosophy and want a completely neutral DAC which exposes everything else down the chain perfectly. Of course, Yggy is no M11.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #79 of 329

Let me know when that happens. Would love a comparison, but audiophiles have kinda fallen out of love from Benchmark so hard to find someone who owns both.

I have owned one R2R DAC for a long time, the audio-gd M11. I definitely prefer the the Benchmark, the M11 colors the sound in a nice way but I have changed my philosophy and want a completely neutral DAC which exposes everything else down the chain perfectly. Of course, Yggy is no M11.

That depends on the audiophiles. Most of my personal friends/acquaintances go nuts over Benchmark. Head-fi for the most part is the only site I'm on that looks at Benchmark and yawns.

Which is fine, and I'm all about variety. But using my Alpha Primes with the DAC1 last weekend was one of the most amazing experiences I've had in this hobby. This weekend I'll be using my HD800S's single-ended with the DAC1. I anticipate an equal experience. And this is with the old DAC1...

But I really want to experience the differences between the Yggy and the DAC3. I'm hoping that a year from now, that will be possible.

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #80 of 329
Hi,
I'm really interested in DAC3 HGC to directly feed HYPEX Ncore power amp (without analog pre in the signal path).
DAC3 10db / 20db attenuators pads, available to adjust output level and get optimal headroom / volume range control to match amps input specs, is a key point for me. Also DAC3 analog line inputs a very good point (i don't know others good DAC with this function except MYTEK).

However do you think DAC3 volume control in the analog domain is suitable to feed power amp via RIAA phono pre (using DAC3 line inputs) ? My main source is digital and networked but i'm sometimes listening vinyl.

My only concerns: Benchmark seems very analytical and association with HYPEX amps perhaps too "clinical" for me.
Difficult to know without a listening session. I'm currently using REGA integrated amp and DAC to feed Harbeth SLH5+ speakers and i presume it is much more "warm and euphonic". See details on my existing setup here 

Thank you
Regards

Bruno

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #81 of 329
  Hi,
I'm really interested in DAC3 HGC to directly feed HYPEX Ncore power amp (without analog pre in the signal path).
DAC3 10db / 20db attenuators pads, available to adjust output level and get optimal headroom / volume range control to match amps input specs, is a key point for me. Also DAC3 analog line inputs a very good point (i don't know others good DAC with this function except MYTEK).

However do you think DAC3 volume control in the analog domain is suitable to feed power amp via RIAA phono pre (using DAC3 line inputs) ? My main source is digital and networked but i'm sometimes listening vinyl.

My only concerns: Benchmark seems very analytical and association with HYPEX amps perhaps too "clinical" for me.
Difficult to know without a listening session. I'm currently using REGA integrated amp and DAC to feed Harbeth SLH5+ speakers and i presume it is much more "warm and euphonic". See details on my existing setup here 

Thank you
Regards

Bruno

If you are the US, Benchmark offers 30 day risk-free trial AFAIK. 

FWIW, my primary reason to buy the DAC3 was also the attenuator pads. They work perfectly with my sensitive full-rangers (95dB), I am running the -20dB pads. 

Feb 19, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #82 of 329

If you are the US, Benchmark offers 30 day risk-free trial AFAIK. 

FWIW, my primary reason to buy the DAC3 was also the attenuator pads. They work perfectly with my sensitive full-rangers (95dB), I am running the -20dB pads. 

Thank you @Rockin_Zombie,
Unfortunately i'm not living in the US (Paris, France 
confused_face.gif
)
So i like some feedbacks from other users about analog inputs and gain / volume control vs power amps.
Noted it's working perfectly for you ! 

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #85 of 329
I might be getting my hands on the Hugo 2 soon.

But even if the ADI-2 Pro is below the 2-3k budget, it definitely belongs on that list. It has a better DAC and better head-amp than the DAC3 in my opinion.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #86 of 329
I have a Mytek Brooklyn on trial at the moment. Hopefully I'll get time in the next few days to take down notes so I can give a better comparison - for sure the Mytek has less bass than the Benchmark or Gungnir. The Mytek built in amp has very audible hiss with my SE846. Better writeup to follow in a few days - haven't had much dedicated listening time lately.

On another note, my DAC3 DX arrives today. I'm swapping out my HGC for the DX so I can have fixed xlr output.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #87 of 329
also a DAC that seems to have alot of features is the RME ADI pro.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/index.php

question: is anyone on here also using microrendu, auralic aries or aurender product
with their setups?
i initially got into this from Darko's review on the microrendu and it's place in usb digital audio.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/classy-sonores-microrendu-takes-digital-audio-higher/

however when i inquired to benchmark and some of their products, after mentioning the microrendu in my setup
I was told no need with their dacs ...sort of ''some DACs need clean up...ours do not

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #88 of 329
  also a DAC that seems to have alot of features is the RME ADI pro.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en/index.php

question: is anyone on here also using microrendu, auralic aries or aurender product
with their setups?
i initially got into this from Darko's review on the microrendu and it's place in usb digital audio.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/classy-sonores-microrendu-takes-digital-audio-higher/

however when i inquired to benchmark and some of their products, after mentioning the microrendu in my setup
I was told no need with their dacs ...sort of ''some DACs need clean up...ours do not

AFAIK they are using a high quality XMOS-based USB chip, so those USB transports could be redundant. I don't have a non-USB source otherwise I could have tested the difference between USB and non-USB.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #89 of 329
  AFAIK they are using a high quality XMOS-based USB chip, so those USB transports could be redundant. I don't have a non-USB source otherwise I could have tested the difference between USB and non-USB.

i'd mentioned both the micro rendu and uptone ultracaps lps 1.
so more specifically they replied:

''That’s because some units need “clean up”. Our DACs do not. So, one ends up spending more money for something not needed with our DACs.

Well, enjoy! I wished you had given our DAC a chance. With it, “special” power supplies wouldn’t be necessary. Just a laptop or streamer of sorts.'''

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #90 of 329
  i'd mentioned both the micro rendu and uptone ultracaps lps 1.
so more specifically they replied:

''That’s because some units need “clean up”. Our DACs do not. So, one ends up spending more money for something not needed with our DACs.

Well, enjoy! I wished you had given our DAC a chance. With it, “special” power supplies wouldn’t be necessary. Just a laptop or streamer of sorts.'''

Benchmark is a highly objective company, they don't even believe in balanced headphone outputs. 

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

So I am not surprised they don't believe in USB clean-up. To each their own though, some people have benefited from using such units and I have never used one so can't really tell. 

If you look at the stereophile measurements of DAC2, they did find sidebands at 229 Hz for the jitter clock test (fig. 11). Although that's not really representative of audio noise. 

http://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-dac2-hgc-da-processorheadphone-amplifier-measurements#04Hs0UeFxqVAe7xB.97

I don't know if anything related to USB changed in DAC 3. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back