Benchmark DAC3 HGC (w/ ESS Sabre 9028PRO)
Jan 31, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #61 of 327
  Haha funny thing is I almost bought a used Hugo TT for a great price two days ago. But I just love Benchmark as a company, their application notes are fascinating to read. I am sure Hugo TT would have been great too. 

Both are great DACs and great audio companies with impressive track records!

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #62 of 327
I just got my DAC3 HGC earlier today and I'm really liking it.  Impressions:

DAC3 -> XLR -> Jotumheim -> XLR headphones is EXCELLENT.  My primary reason for getting this amp was to compare to my multibit Gungnir and I've been sitting here swapping out the DAC3 and the Gungnir back and forth for about 2 hours and I can't really tell a difference.  I wouldn't make a dime bet on a blind test.  I HATE how the Gungnir clicks and mutes for a split second when changing bitrates.  I didn't think that would bother me so much but it does, and I don't have that issue with the DAC3.

DAC3 -> headphones: Pretty good.  I can tell a difference in clarity using the built in amp vs the external.  I could be totally happy just using this single unit itself, but I wouldn't if I didn't have to do so.  At home I would always use my external amp, but I have to admit that if I want to pack up for a weekend I could just grab my favorite cans and the DAC3 and be totally happy.

People complain about the lights on the front looking a bit oldschool.  I love sexy electronics as much as the next guy, but for some reason it doesn't bother me here.  Complicated display?  Once you see the lights change around a few times when you're playing different sample/bitrate combos it makes total sense.

One gripe is that some of the settings require taking the cover off.  I'm not afraid to get up in there, but at this price I would like to see them externally available.  All my headphones are low impedance so I probably would never mess with the headphone amp gain but I can see how some people with varied headphones would complain.  iFi has a million settings available on the outside of their stuff.

The one thing that confounds me is what to do about the variable output with the XLR volume and headphone amp volume being tied together.  I have the XLR gain set to -10 as that most closely matches the output volume of my Gungnir through the Jotunheim when the DAC3 volume "in HT mode".  However, I'm afraid that if I ever plug something into the DAC3 headphone amp on accident when the volume knob is at that level (70%), those cans will explode.  So this almost makes me think the L version would make me feel better, but then I totally lose the all-in-one coolness.

We'll see how I feel after a week or so.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #63 of 327
  I just got my DAC3 HGC earlier today and I'm really liking it.  Impressions:

DAC3 -> XLR -> Jotumheim -> XLR headphones is EXCELLENT.  My primary reason for getting this amp was to compare to my multibit Gungnir and I've been sitting here swapping out the DAC3 and the Gungnir back and forth for about 2 hours and I can't really tell a difference.  I wouldn't make a dime bet on a blind test.  I HATE how the Gungnir clicks and mutes for a split second when changing bitrates.  I didn't think that would bother me so much but it does, and I don't have that issue with the DAC3.

DAC3 -> headphones: Pretty good.  I can tell a difference in clarity using the built in amp vs the external.  I could be totally happy just using this single unit itself, but I wouldn't if I didn't have to do so.  At home I would always use my external amp, but I have to admit that if I want to pack up for a weekend I could just grab my favorite cans and the DAC3 and be totally happy.

People complain about the lights on the front looking a bit oldschool.  I love sexy electronics as much as the next guy, but for some reason it doesn't bother me here.  Complicated display?  Once you see the lights change around a few times when you're playing different sample/bitrate combos it makes total sense.

One gripe is that some of the settings require taking the cover off.  I'm not afraid to get up in there, but at this price I would like to see them externally available.  All my headphones are low impedance so I probably would never mess with the headphone amp gain but I can see how some people with varied headphones would complain.  iFi has a million settings available on the outside of their stuff.

The one thing that confounds me is what to do about the variable output with the XLR volume and headphone amp volume being tied together.  I have the XLR gain set to -10 as that most closely matches the output volume of my Gungnir through the Jotunheim when the DAC3 volume "in HT mode".  However, I'm afraid that if I ever plug something into the DAC3 headphone amp on accident when the volume knob is at that level (70%), those cans will explode.  So this almost makes me think the L version would make me feel better, but then I totally lose the all-in-one coolness.

We'll see how I feel after a week or so.

Congrats! I'm in the midst of reviewing this DAC and I'm thoroughly impressed! The clarity and resolution is quite epic really! Throw in the incredibly low distortion and transparent clean sound, I'm definitely impressed! The headphone amp was FAR more than just an afterthought throw-in. At near 0 ohm output impedance, flat FR response and an impressive 1.25W into 32 ohms this amp can power pretty much all of the headphones I have on hand.  Very much reminds me of the HeadAmp GS-1 really and that's saying a whole lot!

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #67 of 327
I know the difference between HGC and L, what's the difference with them and DX? 

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #69 of 327
The DX version does not have analogue inputs but instead adds digital AES3. That means you can't simply use it as a pre-amp for some sources. It also does not come with the remote control. It's the version that is supposed to be used in a professional environment. L and HGC are more consumer-oriented.

I reviewed the DAC3 here: http://headfonics.com/2017/02/the-dac3-hgc-by-benchmark-media/

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #70 of 327
The DX version does not have analogue inputs but instead adds digital AES3. That means you can't simply use it as a pre-amp for some sources. It also does not come with the remote control. It's the version that is supposed to be used in a professional environment. L and HGC are more consumer-oriented.

I reviewed the DAC3 here: http://headfonics.com/2017/02/the-dac3-hgc-by-benchmark-media/

That was a very nice review, and exactly the kind I like to read. Not overly technical, no obscure references, focusing on practical function. Nice!

I had focused on the Schiit mult-bit DAC's, but the ergonomics and flexibility of the Benchmark is really making me re-think my choices. 2 optical and 2 coax inputs are a big deal for me, along with the sonics.

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #71 of 327

Nicely written. I like how you didn't gush over how "euphonic" they sound. Very balanced writing. 

Looks like neutrality and black background are the key strengths of Benchmark. That is exactly what I want from my DAC, to disappear from the system. Can't wait for mine to arrive!

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #73 of 327
I finally remembered to bring home my SE846 and the built in amp is awesome!  If an amp has ANY hiss, these will pick it up.  I plugged them in and turned the knob all the way - dead silent.

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #74 of 327
  I finally remembered to bring home my SE846 and the built in amp is awesome!  If an amp has ANY hiss, these will pick it up.  I plugged them in and turned the knob all the way - dead silent.

Benchmark folks are obsessive about hiss, so I am not surprised. Their AHB2 power amp is famous for being the quietest power amp on earth.

I got my DAC3 HGC delivered yesterday! And as I suspected, the hiss I was having through my J2 is completely gone! Bravo Benchmark. 

Listening impressions, as I expected, extremely clean, super neutral, what I expect from my DAC. The thing is so tiny (compared to other TOTL DACs)  I can literally set and forget. Very happy so far. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #75 of 327
Yeah, I'm really leaning towards the DAC3 over the Yggy. Just a totally different approach!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back