Benchmark DAC3 HGC (w/ ESS Sabre 9028PRO)
Jan 16, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #46 of 332
  I don't know if I would go so far as to call their user interface "simple".  I will say that Benchmark has packed a lot of features into a very small amount of real estate.  Yet, I can't help but feel like their interface is due for a "make over" when just about every other DAC has implemented some kind of digital display.  I really want to see Benchmark's well deserved reputation for engineering excellence reflected in ALL aspects of their DAC including design.

Imagine if Benchmark's engineers decided to make a user interface with fewer buttons and some kind of glass display or touch screen.  Think about how many technical features they'd pack into it!   I'd bet it would wind up looking like something one-step shy of an oscilloscope!  

I concur that the current interface is a bit overloaded, i.e. using multiplication factors for display of DSD data rates (not that it would bother me since I ignore DSD anyway). I happen to like that its not anything like the display used in the new RME ADI-2 Pro, utilizing layers of submenus for an astounding amount of functionality that kept me fighting to just get what I want: music out without any EQ applied etc.

Yes, one has to know that e.g. long presses of certain buttons perform a function, and that is a problem for sure if I don't have the manual at hand. I'm in the happy position that I once configured internal jumpers and line out settings to what I wanted it to behave like and never touched it again, but that may certainly not be the case for everyone. But it lets me have a device without a display that simply performs its task, not drawing any attention (OK, the blue LEDs would be nicer if they were not that bright) -- and thats what I meant by 'simple' above.

BTW: did anyone check if the USB input can be used from the Apple CCK adapter directly? The DAC2 drew too much power, but maybe they changed the USB receiver...

Jan 16, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #47 of 332

I bought DAC2-HGC two years ago after reading so much about Hugo and went through 2 hours audition of the duo (using AKG K-702). I finally decided to choose HGC because it's clean refine sounding plus the functionality of analog input, bit-rate display, and balanced output to my AVM PowerAmp. Then I bought Mojo last year and liked it very much as my first choice of portable DAC for desktop use and for travelling. With new DAC3 and 2017 CES just released Hugo2 (as well as new MQA-Compatible Mytek Brooklyn DAC), it's a whole new ballgame once again ....

BTW, I hope DAC3's USB input can be used from the Apple CCK adapter directly as well, so I don't have to use my DAC1-Pre for connecting the iPad and iPhone when I need it.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #48 of 332

BTW, I hope DAC3's USB input can be used from the Apple CCK adapter directly as well, so I don't have to use my DAC1-Pre for connecting the iPad and iPhone when I need it.

You can connect your iPhone and iPads to the DAC2 and DAC3 via USB if you use a powered USB hub. The USB chip in the DAC2+3 is powered from the USB and the iPhone doesn't supply enough power to run the USB so by adding the powered hub the DAC pulls its power from the hub and then doesn't require any power from the device.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #49 of 332
Should have the review DAC3 HGC tomorrow. Just a question for current owners, what settings do you have your output XLRs set to? 0dB (default) 10dB or 20dB when using the DAC 3 as a standalone DAC to feed an another headphone amp? The folks at Benchmark recommended the 10dB setting; just curious what others are using?

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #50 of 332
  Should have the review DAC3 HGC tomorrow. Just a question for current owners, what settings do you have your output XLRs set to? 0dB (default) 10dB or 20dB when using the DAC 3 as a standalone DAC to feed an another headphone amp? The folks at Benchmark recommended the 10dB setting; just curious what others are using?

That will depend on the amp and the headphones. I have V280 driving HE-6. Have to set the XLR output to 0dB so it feeds the amp at high enough voltage to tap the max power available in V280 which is needed by HE-6.

Jan 27, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #51 of 332
That will depend on the amp and the headphones. I have V280 driving HE-6. Have to set the XLR output to 0dB so it feeds the amp at high enough voltage to tap the max power available in V280 which is needed by HE-6.

Thanks! Anyone else?

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #52 of 332
Thanks! Anyone else?

When paired with my HeadAmp GS-X mkII, the factory setting of 0db felt a little "hot" to me.  By that I mean that even with the GS-X in the low-gain setting I didn't get a lot of usable range from the amps volume attenuator. 

I swapped the DAC3's XLR jumpers in/out of the 10db setting before finally deciding that it was the right setting for my amp and hadphones.  

With the Benchmark in the 10db setting and the the GS-X set to low gain, I was able to achieve "normal" listening volumes with the volume control at about the 12'oclock position. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #55 of 332

When paired with my HeadAmp GS-X mkII, the factory setting of 0db felt a little "hot" to me.  By that I mean that even with the GS-X in the low-gain setting I didn't get a lot of usable range from the amps volume attenuator. 

I swapped the DAC3's XLR jumpers in/out of the 10db setting before finally deciding that it was the right setting for my amp and hadphones.  

With the Benchmark in the 10db setting and the the GS-X set to low gain, I was able to achieve "normal" listening volumes with the volume control at about the 12'oclock position. 

-20db out of my former DAC2 DX using balanced outs into Bryston amp. 0 and -10bd were way too hot...My DAC3 is coming soon.....
biggrin.gif

^^^^^ note addendum^^^^^- and that was in low gain setting using the single ended output on my BHA-1! Crazy....

Cool...thanks fellas. I did settle on -10dB with my GS-X MK2 and LL2. listening to my SR-007 Mk1 + LL2 now with the DAC3HGC and I love what I'm hearing so far! One small, but very impressive DAC! Played my high res 192 files + DSD files just fine too!

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #56 of 332
Well...after the weekend and Monday night with this DAC, I gotta say I am thoroughly impressed! I enjoyed the DAC-2, but it came off on the drier and brighter side of things. The DAC3HGC rectifies that completely and offers outstanding detail retrieval, imaging, quickness and resolves so very, very well!

The headphone amp at a whopping 1.25W and near 0 ohm output impedance is basically a HeadAmp GS-1 with upgraded modules...that's to say...freakin' awesome! Not just a throw in...but a seriously great amplifier with incredibly low distortion numbers.

I've thrown everything at it, from CDs to Tidal, to Tidal Master to 192kps high res files and DSD and it's performed brilliantly throughout!

It's gonna be very hard to let this thing out of my rack! 
L3000.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #57 of 332
Well...after the weekend and Monday night with this DAC, I gotta say I am thoroughly impressed! I enjoyed the DAC-2, but it came off on the drier and brighter side of things. The DAC3HGC rectifies that completely and offers outstanding detail retrieval, imaging, quickness and resolves so very, very well!

The headphone amp at a whopping 1.25W and near 0 ohm output impedance is basically a HeadAmp GS-1 with upgraded modules...that's to say...freakin' awesome! Not just a throw in...but a seriously great amplifier with incredibly low distortion numbers.

I've thrown everything at it, from CDs to Tidal, to Tidal Master to 192kps high res files and DSD and it's performed brilliantly throughout!

It's gonna be very hard to let this thing out of my rack! :L3000:
Ok Peter, Now the million $ question. How does it compare to your Hugo TT? Can the American go toe to toe with the Brit?

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #58 of 332
Just placed an order for the DAC3 HGC! Should be here in a couple of weeks. I need an adjustable gain control at the XLR outputs for my power amp, the main reason to get the Benchmark. Was thinking of DAC3L but got a discount from the local dealer for the HGC which made it only slightly more than the L. The headphone amp should match very well the HD800S. 

Will be posting impressions once I get it. 

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #59 of 332
Ok Peter, Now the million $ question. How does it compare to your Hugo TT? Can the American go toe to toe with the Brit?

Can it go toe to toe...certainly! Both are awesome DACs designed by some pretty smart people. 

Just placed an order for the DAC3 HGC! Should be here in a couple of weeks. I need an adjustable gain control at the XLR outputs for my power amp, the main reason to get the Benchmark. Was thinking of DAC3L but got a discount from the local dealer for the HGC which made it only slightly more than the L. The headphone amp should match very well the HD800S. 

Will be posting impressions once I get it. 

Congrats! You will love it! And please don't short change the headphone output...at near 0 ohm at 1.25W into 32 ohms, it is a very serious amplifier.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #60 of 332
Haha funny thing is I almost bought a used Hugo TT for a great price two days ago. But I just love Benchmark as a company, their application notes are fascinating to read. I am sure Hugo TT would have been great too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back