Benchmark DAC3 HGC (w/ ESS Sabre 9028PRO)
Dec 7, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #33 of 329
Since I use my Benchmark DAC3 exclusively for USB playback I want to share a few settings & tips that aren't covered in the manual or driver installation guide.  

I want my media player (JRiver Media Center) to have "exclusive" control over the DAC and I don't want Windows to alter the signal enroute. 

To that end, I've changed the Benchmark driver properties to disable all enhancements and to enable "exclusive" mode.

Since the goal here is to pass an unaltered signal to the DAC, I've disabled Media Center's volume control as well.
Now the only way to change the volume is with the Benchmark remote or volume knob.

I hope fellow/future owners find this info useful.  Head-Fi has a long memory!

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #35 of 329
 I've changed the Benchmark driver properties to disable all enhancements and to enable "exclusive" mode.

This is worth doing for the DAC2. I have disabled all other audio settings in W10 including Windows sounds.

If you use the Benchmark software to play back 24/192 this also includes a  Windows USB driver package T-USB Audio Class Driver Control Panel. There are adjustments in here. Recent email from John Siau(Benchmark) about using this panel, he suggested to leave it at the default settings for reliability. I'm actually not sure how much influence this panel has on the sound but I have set these settings, which runs with no problems:

Buffer Settings - USB streaming Mode - Low Latency - Apply

- Asio Buffer - 4096 Samples - Apply

Device 0 - Streaming Mode - Always

This works on my computer you may need to experiment with these settings on your own. If all else fails re download and install the software back to default.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #36 of 329
Sub'd.

I'm really looking forward to impressions, especially vs. multi-bit...

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #38 of 329
I'm in the market for one of these (actually, the DAC3 L). But I'd love to know how it stacks up against a Chord Hugo first. Anyone? 

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #41 of 329
Always loved my DAC2 and just felt the unreasonable impulse of upgrading... I will wait for the DAC3DX though since i very much valued the separated output busses in the DAC2DX. Fortunately (my wallet disagrees) the DX should be available soon.
Will sell either my DAC2HGC or DX, so if anyone is interested please PM me (within EU).

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #42 of 329
Always loved my DAC2 and just felt the unreasonable impulse of upgrading... I will wait for the DAC3DX though since i very much valued the separated output busses in the DAC2DX. Fortunately (my wallet disagrees) the DX should be available soon.
Will sell either my DAC2HGC or DX, so if anyone is interested please PM me (within EU).

Since you are a DAC2 owner, I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the DAC3.  I doubt the differences will be profound, probably more subtle.

This is where I sort of feel like Benchmark dropped the ball.  If you're upgrading from the DAC2 to the DAC3 you're essentially getting the same DAC with a new chip and a higher price tag.  I feel that the upgrade cost would be easier to justify if there were some other improvements in usability.  

Benchmark is still using the same type of indicator lights that they were using in 2009.  Even the $900 9028 based, "direct-from-China" Gustard X20 has a digital display.  One would expect that a 3rd generation product like the DAC3 would have improved not just in performance, but in features & usability.  ...especially with a retail price nearly 3x times as much.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #43 of 329
Since you are a DAC2 owner, I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the DAC3.  I doubt the differences will be profound, probably more subtle.

This is where I sort of feel like Benchmark dropped the ball.  If you're upgrading from the DAC2 to the DAC3 you're essentially getting the same DAC with a new chip and a higher price tag.  I feel that the upgrade cost would be easier to justify if there were some other improvements in usability.  

Benchmark is still using the same type of indicator lights that they were using in 2009.  Even the $900 9028 based, "direct-from-China" Gustard X20 has a digital display.  One would expect that a 3rd generation product like the DAC3 would have improved not just in performance, but in features & usability.  ...especially with a retail price nearly 3x times as much.

Yes, I'm quite sure it's more of an incremental change than anything else. There are other products using the same ESS chip, but what really matters is the analog implementation -- and Benchmark is really good at that I think. I alsohappen to like their simple interface... so let's see

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #44 of 329
There are other products using the same ESS chip, but what really matters is the analog implementation -- and Benchmark is really good at that I think. 

There's a whole lotta truth in that!!!

I alsohappen to like their simple interface.

I don't know if I would go so far as to call their user interface "simple".  I will say that Benchmark has packed a lot of features into a very small amount of real estate.  Yet, I can't help but feel like their interface is due for a "make over" when just about every other DAC has implemented some kind of digital display.  I really want to see Benchmark's well deserved reputation for engineering excellence reflected in ALL aspects of their DAC including design.

Imagine if Benchmark's engineers decided to make a user interface with fewer buttons and some kind of glass display or touch screen.  Think about how many technical features they'd pack into it!   I'd bet it would wind up looking like something one-step shy of an oscilloscope!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back