Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Jan 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #2,266 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by nae45ro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally my DAc-1 is here. Sound quality is as expected excellent. Tons of micro-level details and the agrssivity of my M-Audio firewire soundboard is gone. Only one problem. You recommend keeping the volume at about 10 o'clock for normal listening. With the volume set to 12 o'clock on my headphone amplifier (Bada Ph-12), I have to keep the volume knob on DAC-1 close to the maximum for normal listening volume. I switched the jumpers from -20 (default)to -10 and then 0 but something weird happened > The volume was different on left and right headphone with these 2 settings !

Make sure all 4 jumpers were set equally. If any of the jumpers aren't set equally, there will be a channel imbalance.

Also, we recommend having the volume control above 10 o'clock, not at 10 o'clock. In other words, we recommend having the volume anywhere between 10 o'clock and maximum. It is perfectly fine to have the volume control near maximum.

Thanks,
Elias

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #2,267 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I've tried is doing resampling on the computer end (using various resamplers) and letting the DAC1 playback this already-resampled data. It definitely sounds different, and many would argue that it sounds better to use a high-quality resampler on the computer-end to get the data to 24/96 and then send it to the DAC1. This leads to the conclusion that perhaps the resampling that is going on in the DAC1 isn't as good as it could be because the DAC1 seems to sound better when it is fed data that has already been resampled to a very high rate with a high-quality resampler (giving the DAC1's resampler more data to work with when it then converts this 96K input to 110K).

As a test, try using the Secret Rabbit resampler in Foobar2000 to resample some audio data to 96K and compare how that sounds with un-resampled playback of the same data on a DAC1.

Scrith,

In this expirament, you are changing one variable: software SRC on versus off. Any differences you are hearing are due to that variation.

To test the SRC of the DAC1, you would need to keep all of the other parameters constant and have the on/off of the DAC1's SRC be the only variable.

Thanks,
Elias

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #2,268 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't need to own your own wafer fab to have your own chips. There are many so-called "fabless semiconductor" companies that have IC chips custom made by one of the existing wafer fabs. (I used to work for a company that had its own very high performance DSP chips custom made.) You do, however, need to have some very skilled and experienced chip designers.

True...very true

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #2,269 of 3,058
Thanks Elias, I'll keep it this way then. problem number 2 :

Each time I close the PC, the DAC stays on. After reopening the PC, I have no sound, no matter the audio or video software used (foobar, vlc player...). Only after pulling out the power cord or the usb cable and repluging them the sound is on again. What can be the cause ?

PS : When I have no sound, foobar plays the songs like it knows the is a soundboard attached but there's no sound (when there is no soundboard, the songs don't play at all)

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #2,270 of 3,058
Quote:

Thanks Elias, I'll keep it this way then. problem number 2 :

Each time I close the PC, the DAC stays on. After reopening the PC, I have no sound, no matter the audio or video software used (foobar, vlc player...). Only after pulling out the power cord or the usb cable and repluging them the sound is on again. What can be the cause ?

PS : When I have no sound, foobar plays the songs like it knows the is a soundboard attached but there's no sound (when there is no soundboard, the songs don't play at all)

When you re-open the PC, are the DAC1 LED's illuminated? You will need to see the top and bottom blue LED's of the DAC1 for the PC audio to play. If you don't see them, switch the input switch until the top (3) and bottom (1) LED's are illuminated.

Thanks,
Elias

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #2,271 of 3,058
Yep, tehy are illuminated all the time no matter if computer is on or off !

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #2,273 of 3,058
Shutting down

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #2,274 of 3,058
So, let me try to understand:

You have Foobar open, and you're playing audio through the DAC1 USB (via the USB input).

Then, you shut-down the computer.

Then you start the computer.

Then you open Foobar. However, when you press play, there is no sound from the DAC1 USB?

Is that all correct?

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #2,275 of 3,058
Yep, all correct. Foobar is playing the file but there's no sound. I have to unplug the DAc from the computer and replug it again to work !

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #2,277 of 3,058
Hmm, weird. Today it worked normally !

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #2,278 of 3,058
Back again. Same problem. It doesn't work in WMP or iTunes either !

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #2,279 of 3,058
It sounds like your computer isn't seeing/remembering the DAC1. With these kinds of sporadic connection issues, it might be the computer (Windows, the motherboard, etc.). Have you tried plugging into a different USB port?

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #2,280 of 3,058
Quote:

Back again. Same problem. It doesn't work in WMP or iTunes either !

Nae45ro,

What is the current status of this issue?

Thanks,
Elias

Users who are viewing this thread

Back