Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Nov 10, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #2,043 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by zenjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A stupid question: can Benchmark Pre be used directly with Cowon O2? is Cowon O2's AV out of any help?

hmmm, i use a cowon Q5 directly interfaced with the DAC1 pre (turn spdif on in menu), via the cowons proprietory AV-out digital coax into coax in on the DAC1

but am not sure if the O2 has digital out, via a similar flylead.

Nov 10, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #2,044 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by zenjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A stupid question: can Benchmark Pre be used directly with Cowon O2? is Cowon O2's AV out of any help?

It's hard to tell. I took a look at their website, and from the (very little) information that I could find, it seems that the 02 does not have a digital audio output. You may want to contact the manufacturer to find out.

You could send the analog output into the analog input of the DAC1 PRE, but you are then relying the D-to-A in the 02...a scary prospect.

Thanks,
Elias

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #2,045 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I have also a little stupid question
Can the DAC be used with speakers that don't need an amp and so on, like Audioengine A5 ?

The DAC1 works great with powered speakers.

Thanks,
Elias

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #2,046 of 3,058
Nov 11, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #2,047 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

An interesting read about the 'aging' of IC's, etc:

Analog Devices: The Long Term Stability of Precision Analog ICs, or How to Age Gracefully and Avoid Sudden Death :: Analog Microcontrollers

This is FYI, so that you can question the next person who sells you something that doesn't sound good but says it's because the IC's didn't 'break-in' yet.

Thanks,
Elias

I've never heard anybody claim that ICs need to break in. My understanding is that it's the passive components, especially capacitors, that need to break in.

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #2,048 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However, there is also a subtle advantage of power cycling: increasing the lifespan of the power caps. At normal operating temperatures, the caps in the DAC1/USB/PRE will work for +/-10 years of operation. So, if you won't be using the DAC1 for a few weeks/months/years, it would be a good idea to turn it off. This won't affect the actual product's lifespan because it isn't difficult to re-cap.

Will having the DAC1 in standby increase the lifespan of the caps?

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #2,049 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard anybody claim that ICs need to break in...

You do actually read other threads on Head-fi right? I'm frequently baffled by how many threads here discuss the need to burn in ICs
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #2,050 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by riverlethe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will having the DAC1 in standby increase the lifespan of the caps?

No, standby does not de-activate the power supply.

But, again, I wouldn't worry about this too much. Just power-down the unit when it won't be used for several days/weeks/months.

Thanks,
Elias

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #2,051 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do actually read other threads on Head-fi right? I'm frequently baffled by how many threads here discuss the need to burn in ICs
confused_face_2.gif

I'm sure plenty of end users make such claims, but I should have stated it more clearly: I've never heard an electronics manufacturer claim that ICs need break in. I have heard electronics manufacturers, including at least one capacitor maker, say that capacitors go through an internal chemical transformation during break in, and that seems reasonable considering the composition of capacitors. Also I have no doubt that speaker and headphone drivers can change significantly with break in, as their mechanical components loosen up. However, I have yet to hear anyone provide a coherent explanation for how ICs (or cables for that matter) would change during break in.

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #2,053 of 3,058
Quote:

WHY doesn't the DAC1 PRE have more than one output RCA ?
I think it will be cook to have at least two sets
One with variable output and one with fixed
So I can use both headphones amp, and a power amp with it.

just use the XLR out as well as the RCA out, buy a few neutrik XLR to rca gender benders and then you have dual RCA outputs
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #2,054 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure plenty of end users make such claims, but I should have stated it more clearly: I've never heard an electronics manufacturer claim that ICs need break in. I have heard electronics manufacturers, including at least one capacitor maker, say that capacitors go through an internal chemical transformation during break in, and that seems reasonable considering the composition of capacitors. Also I have no doubt that speaker and headphone drivers can change significantly with break in, as their mechanical components loosen up. However, I have yet to hear anyone provide a coherent explanation for how ICs (or cables for that matter) would change during break in.

MIT audio state burn in is required for their cables

my MIT cables included a booklet detailing the required burn in for their IC's

they state the 2/2 rule;

75% of performance in two days
100% in two weeks

i am not arguing about whether you believe it or not, i am just providing facts that a cable manufacturer quoted burn in as you said you hadnt seen any manufacturer say

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #2,055 of 3,058
Quote:

WHY doesn't the DAC1 PRE have more than one output RCA ?
I think it will be cook to have at least two sets
One with variable output and one with fixed
So I can use both headphones amp, and a power amp with it.

Tell me more about what you are trying to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back