Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Sep 16, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #1,906 of 3,058
I use DAC1 USB with my MacBook and have three questions:
1) I experience differences soundwise between iTunes 8.0 and VLC 0.8.6i but want to make sure I'm really correct. How should I proceed to make a good comparison in a pure listening test?
2) Has anyone on this forum gone beyond placebo ears and done some highly technical measures on these two apps bit performance lately?
3) I've read in he wiki that iTunes and QuickTime is working together. Is QuickTime also involved when using VLC? How do I make sure QuickTime has no sound enhancers or equalizers on?
/ Joachim

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #1,907 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enjoy your expensive placebo though.
tongue_smile.gif

I've got two 'expensive placebos' and both sound great.

If the 404 sounded better I would have two of those instead, but then I've actually owned and spent significant time with DAC1 and 404 before talking about my preferences, whereas you are regurgitating dribble about something you haven't heard now aren't you?
rolleyes.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #1,908 of 3,058
Something that may be useful to people who run off OSX. I hacked up an Applescript to enter all the desired settings into Audio MIDI Setup.

Code:

Code:
[left]tell application "Audio MIDI Setup" to launch tell application "System Events" tell application process "Audio MIDI Setup" tell window "Audio MIDI Setup" tell tab group 1 tell radio button "Audio Devices" delay 0.3 click end tell tell pop up button 8 -- "Properties for" click click menu item "Benchmark 1.0" of menu 1 end tell delay 0.3 tell pop up button 5 -- "Default Output" click click menu item "Benchmark 1.0" of menu 1 end tell delay 0.3 tell pop up button 6 -- "System Output" click click menu item "Benchmark 1.0" of menu 1 end tell delay 0.3 tell pop up button 1 -- "Format" click click menu item "2ch-24bit" of menu 1 end tell delay 0.3 tell combo box 1 tell button 1 tell application "Audio MIDI Setup" to activate click keystroke (ASCII character 31) keystroke (ASCII character 31) keystroke (ASCII character 31) keystroke return delay 0.3 tell application "Audio MIDI Setup" to quit end tell end tell end tell end tell end tell end tell[/left]

Basically it just opens Audio MIDI Setup and clicks the appropriate menus. Not much to it really and it can easily be changed to apply the settings for some other device. But its nice to not have to do it manually every time I change output devices.

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #1,909 of 3,058
That is very cool!!
L3000.gif

beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something that may be useful to people who run off OSX. I hacked up an Applescript to enter all the desired settings into Audio MIDI Setup.

Code:

Code:
[left]tell application "Audio MIDI Setup" to launch tell application "System Events" tell application process "Audio MIDI Setup" tell window "Audio MIDI Setup" tell tab group 1 tell radio button "Audio Devices" delay 0.3 click end tell tell pop up button 8 -- "Properties for" click click menu item "Benchmark 1.0" of menu 1 end tell delay 0.3 tell pop up button 5 -- "Default Output" click click menu item "Benchmark 1.0" of menu 1 end tell delay 0.3 tell pop up button 6 -- "System Output" click click menu item "Benchmark 1.0" of menu 1 end tell delay 0.3 tell pop up button 1 -- "Format" click click menu item "2ch-24bit" of menu 1 end tell delay 0.3 tell combo box 1 tell button 1 tell application "Audio MIDI Setup" to activate click keystroke (ASCII character 31) keystroke (ASCII character 31) keystroke (ASCII character 31) keystroke return delay 0.3 tell application "Audio MIDI Setup" to quit end tell end tell end tell end tell end tell end tell[/left]

Basically it just opens Audio MIDI Setup and clicks the appropriate menus. Not much to it really and it can easily be changed to apply the settings for some other device. But its nice to not have to do it manually every time I change output devices.

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #1,910 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the output drivers are built around the new National Semiconductor LM4562 opamps.... The LM4562's are exceptional drivers, capable of delivering high-currents and driving low-impedance or high-capacitance loads without distortion.... The DAC1 PRE uses the LM4562's all throughout the analog circuitry...

Hi Elias,

Just wondering if Benchmark had considered using discrete opamps rather than chip opamps (just thinking of sound quality here, not space considerations). For example, the newest DACs from Bryston and PS-Audio etc. are heavily marketing their choice of using 100% class A discrete output stages, and users seem to be raving over the significant difference this seems to bring to the resulting sonics. What are your thoughts on this please? Thanks in advance...

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #1,912 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxophone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
may be Elias Gwinn - can enlighten me if Asi-tek's claimed modification would improve the sound quality?

isn't this akin to asking apple how the iMod sounds?

not really the done thing.

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #1,914 of 3,058
1. how good is DAC1 pre's headphone amp output? is it comparable to any stand alone high audiophile grade headphone amplifier?

2. Is Grado GS1000 a good match for Benchmark DAC1 pre?

Users, please comment.

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #1,915 of 3,058
Quote:

Has anyone got their Benchmark DAC1 Pre modified by Asi-tek?
Benchmark DAC1 & DAC1 USB Premium Modifications!!!

If yes, would it be possible to provide some feedback on the 'improvement' in the sound quality?

or, would someone with technical knowledge - may be Elias Gwinn - can enlighten me if Asi-tek's claimed modification would improve the sound quality?

I also wonder the same thing!
And
Why Benchmark won't put a more "better" version with this improvements?

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #1,916 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-U-E-S-T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Elias,

Just wondering if Benchmark had considered using discrete opamps rather than chip opamps (just thinking of sound quality here, not space considerations). For example, the newest DACs from Bryston and PS-Audio etc. are heavily marketing their choice of using 100% class A discrete output stages, and users seem to be raving over the significant difference this seems to bring to the resulting sonics. What are your thoughts on this please? Thanks in advance...

G-U-E-S-T,

We use opamps because they acheive much lower distortion then discrete transistors. Transistors have a more narrow linear region, and suffer from significant distortion.

We use discrete transistors in our microphone pre-amplifiers because, in conjunction with servo opamps, they build a system that can acheive much higher gain bandwidth. In a mic-pre, you need up to 70 dB of gain. In a DAC, you don't need that much gain, so you don't have to comprimise the clean performance of low-gain opamps.

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #1,917 of 3,058
Quote:

Has anyone got their Benchmark DAC1 Pre modified by Asi-tek?
Benchmark DAC1 & DAC1 USB Premium Modifications!!!

If yes, would it be possible to provide some feedback on the 'improvement' in the sound quality?

or, would someone with technical knowledge - may be Elias Gwinn - can enlighten me if Asi-tek's claimed modification would improve the sound quality?

We strongly recommend that you do NOT have your DAC1 modified. Although you are certainly welcome to do whatever you please with your DAC1, there are many reasons to not have it modified. For example:

1. WARRANTY WILL BE VOIDED

If the DAC1 is modified, the warranty will be voided. As many mod's cause irratic behavior, you may likely face hefty repair charges.

2. THE MOD'S DEGRADE PERFORMANCE

...or, at best, do nothing at all. We've seen almost every mod out there, and most severely degrade the performance. Some changed parts that had no affect on the audio at all!

3. THE MODDERS DON'T KNOW THE CIRCUIT

The modder's do not have a schematic, and don't know the circuit. They are replacing parts based on the assumption that their parts are compatible with the circuit, when they are often not!

So, as I said, you are free to do whatever you want to the DAC1. But, for the sake of the sonic performance (and your wallet), you would be well-advised to avoid these modifications.

Good luck!

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #1,919 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Why Benchmark won't put a more "better" version with this improvements?

Why won't Benchmark do that mods on their own ?
I mean, offering a 500$ + stock price (or more) and putting better things for those who want it ?

This is a great question that, inadvertantly, explains why folks should not have their DAC1 modified...

The DAC1 circuit is specifically designed and built with optimal components for optimal performance. No components were comprimised for cost reasons. They were all selected because they created the best possible performance.

If someone's mod actually improved the performance of the DAC1 by changing some components, we would certainly switch and use those components. The price difference among components are so small, that it would have no affect on the cost (which should make you ask why the modder's charge so much...???).

However, the modified components do not improve the performance, and actually degrade the performance most times.

The DAC1 cannot be improved by changing parts. The components were chosen when the circuit was optimized during the design phase. Any other parts will comprimise that optimization.

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #1,920 of 3,058
Ok I guess you are right (didn't test it for weeks and months to know better)
But
why not offering even something with better stuff?
I am sure that things like maybe a better stronger PSU or better inputs, or opmaps (maybe going discarte) or what ever, can improve it
Not?

Just my thoughts, I mean we all looking for getting better every time, not ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back