Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Sep 5, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #1,891 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... However, we are really excited about our new color scheme (silver faces with black knobs), and apparently a lot of end users are as well! So, we plan to ride it out for a while.

Thanks,
Elias

Maybe a knob-swap program for new purchases, or just sell the knobs online. Anodize in some cool colors for true custom look. There are plenty of ways to complicate your market model!!

Sep 7, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #1,892 of 3,058
Quote:

Hello Feoteng.

The best gain setting for your BM 5A's is '-10'. This will maximize your signal to noise ratio.

After you've set that, follow this article's instructions to determine the best attenuation setting in the DAC1: Benchmark Media: Feedback Newsletter

Let me know if you have any questions about this...

Thanks,
Elias

Same problem for my Dynaudio Air 6 Speaker here,
I've set the gain to '-10', the knob is near to the mid-rotation, but the DSP still detected the input level is too low, is it possible to set the jumper to '0'??

Thanks

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #1,893 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmh1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ Elias - Didn't see the option of a Black FacePlate anywhere for the Pre. Is this an option?

No, the DAC1 PRE is only available with the Silver faceplate.

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #1,894 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougr33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are plenty of ways to complicate your market model!!

L3000.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #1,895 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPhx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same problem for my Dynaudio Air 6 Speaker here,
I've set the gain to '-10', the knob is near to the mid-rotation, but the DSP still detected the input level is too low, is it possible to set the jumper to '0'??

Thanks

DigiPhx,

Yes, you can set your attenuators to 0 dB. This will give you maximum output level. Be careful though...start with the volume control very low.

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #1,896 of 3,058
Quote:

We'll probably keep the black face/black knob option available indefinately. Aside from the asthetic quality, a low-profile face is essential in some setups.

Was hoping this could apply to the Pre as well, Elias. Hope you guys will change your mind and offer this option like you do on your other products. May have to sell my CD-3000 for this one.

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #1,898 of 3,058
^ Sure sounds different to me... But if the 0404 sounds as good to you, then I guess you win! All that extra cash could go towards wax removal!

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #1,899 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$300.00 just for USB? Not in my lifetime. I've read some people say that this DAC sounds no better than EMU 0404 anyway and that has USB and costs less than $200.00 total.

1/ (product price differential) "just for USB" is certainly incorrect. you may wish to read the product specs, or merely a few posts earlier in this thread (ie http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4682665-post1877.html)

2/ "I've read some people say": hmmmm, have you actually listened to those two products...... in any event, having compared precisely the two (among many, many others), I would think these particular "some people" might also be ones who say that Britney Spears sounds like Natalie Merchant....

ymmv, imho, fwiw, yada yada

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #1,900 of 3,058
Quote:

$300.00 just for USB? Not in my lifetime. I've read some people say that this DAC sounds no better than EMU 0404 anyway and that has USB and costs less than $200.00 total.

I've HEARD people say that eating PopRocks and drinking Coke at the same time will make your stomach explode.

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #1,902 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Sure sounds different to me... But if the 0404 sounds as good to you, then I guess you win! All that extra cash could go towards wax removal!

"Sounds different" doesn't necessarily mean better. There's a post buried from someone in these forums that did an extensive search for a good DAC to mate with his HD650s and in the end he preferred the EMU0404. And he compared to DACs costing twice as much as the Benchmark DAC1.

Yea, it costs more and has a brick inside it so it must be better doesn't fool me. Enjoy your expensive placebo though.
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #1,903 of 3,058
Quote:

"Sounds different" doesn't necessarily mean better. There's a post buried from someone in these forums that did an extensive search for a good DAC to mate with his HD650s and in the end he preferred the EMU0404. And he compared to DACs costing twice as much as the Benchmark DAC1.

Yea, it costs more and has a brick inside it so it must be better doesn't fool me. Enjoy your expensive placebo though.
tongue_smile.gif

Hello Milkweg!

Welcome to the thread...we appreciate your input as a proponent of EMU.

We actually have the 0404 here at Benchmark from when we did a survey of existing technologies. You're right, it isn't heavy at all! Maybe 100g tops... That must keep shipping costs low, especially coming from...where is that made?

Can you give us your reasons for preferring the EMU? Is it solely based on the fact that it is cheap?

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #1,904 of 3,058
Quote:

Hello Milkweg!
Is it solely based on the fact that it is cheap?

LOL

I think Milkweg found the one guy on this entire forum that prefers an EMU to a Benchmark and decided to believe him over the countless that hear otherwise.

Personally, I'd love to see "giant-killers" of this scale (I think there's a little bit of that in all of us), but I'm a little more pragmatic.

There's only one way to be sure Milkweg; rather than make broad, sweeping generalizations, buy both and return the one you like less. Benchmark offers a very liberal 30 day return policy
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back