Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Sep 22, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #1,921 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But
why not offering even something with better stuff?
I am sure that things like maybe a better stronger PSU or better inputs, or opmaps (maybe going discarte)
Just my thoughts, I mean we all looking for getting better every time, not ?
smily_headphones1.gif

HeadLover,

We are always looking for the same thing too!! We are always looking for ways to improve our product. Our latest products always contain the best components and design techniques available. The DAC1 PRE has the best of everything, and, cannot be improved upon by upgrading any parts.

When the 4562 opamps came out in late 2006, we built a new circuit optimized for those OPAMPS because they provided better performance then the 5532 which the DAC1 uses. That new circuit design became the DAC1 USB.

Now, many mod-ers are putting the 4562 into the original DAC1 which uses the 5532's. The problem is that the circuit was not built for that - that circuit was optimized for the 5532. The 5532 gain-stages in the DAC1 circuit are not compatible with the 4562. The circuit had to be redesigned to use the 4562 - hence the new product, the DAC1 USB.

Discrete transistor stages are not better then OPAMP stages. "Discrete=better" is another example of marketing mis-leading the consumers at the expense of sonic performance.

We have poured our sweat and blood into our product designs to make them as good as possible. If there was anything we could have done differently to improve performance, we would have done it. Just compare our performance to anything else out there and you'll hear why we say that it can't get much better.

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #1,922 of 3,058
amm
So I need to put something like 1500$ to test it
wink.gif

I just think (just like you), that a user want to see improvments all the time!
Like bigger PSU, or even extrnal one or what ever, I mean, I would want a 2009 (soon to come) product to be better than a 2005 one
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #1,923 of 3,058
Another word on discrete transistors...

They are extremely susceptible to degredation from imperfect power sources. Any fluctuation from perfect DC rails causes a lose in performance. This is indicated by the specification: 'Power Supply Rejection Ratio'. Most products with discrete components won't list this spec...guess why?

Our op-amp stages can maintain full performance even when being driven with noisy power. Our power supply is extremely capable of preventing that scenario, but its good to know that you don't need a $500 power cord just to get your gain-stages to sound good!!
L3000.gif

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 24, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #1,924 of 3,058
Here's a reply I got from Elias and would like to share with others:

1. How good is DAC1 Pre's headphone output compared to a good quality pro-audiophile grade stand alone headphone amp?

The HPA2 (the headphone amplifier built into the DAC1 PRE) is one of the most reverred headphone amp on the market. Major recording, mastering, and broadcast studios use our headphone amplifier for optimal results.

The HPA2 is incredibly accurate thanks to its 0.01 ohm output impedance. Unlike most of its peers, it is extremely resilient to variations in loads, even being able to drive two low-impedance headphones simultaneously without a loss in quality.

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #1,926 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxophone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a way to use an Ipod [6th gen or may be touch] as a source for DAC1 pre?

or, do I need something like Wadia 170i transport?

yes i sometimes run my ipod into it, the pre has RCA in on the back, so you could run a LOD (3.5mm)(captive or rocket dock style with own IC) to RCA in to the DAC - but for optimal results, ultimately a wadia or alike would be preferable for digital to digital

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #1,927 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxophone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a way to use an Ipod [6th gen or may be touch] as a source for DAC1 pre?

or, do I need something like Wadia 170i transport?

Oxophone,

The iPod can be used as a source to the DAC1 PRE by feeding its analog signal to the analog input of the DAC1 PRE.

The iPod will only transmit digitally to the DAC1 PRE with a device like the Wadia 170i. Apple has made the iPod very secure so that digital transmission can only be accessed proprietarily. It is somewhat frustrating, but the Wadia makes it possible.

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #1,931 of 3,058
Hi Elias,

Thank you so much for your extremely thorough answers and help. One more question has occurred to me, regarding the DAC1 PRE. Does it have much headroom beyond 0dbfs? Since some post-mastering DSP's can actually process a digital signal beyond 0dbfs (especially with the recording industry's "loudness wars" these days), I'm wondering if the DAC1 PRE is designed to have any headroom past 0dbfs, so as to avoid audible digital clipping artifacts in such circumstances. Please advise? Thanks again in advance.

Sep 28, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #1,932 of 3,058
Hello Elias,

I just bought a Dac 1 Pre from a fellow head-fier. I've had it for two days or so and am enjoying it immensely.

I have discovered that my lifelong preference for playing music with eq applied to make it sound better has completely vanished!

I read this thread over a week or so and recall you saying that it is normal for the case to be slightly warm, when in operation. I'm envisioning placing it under my LCD monitor which has a circular base that just perfectly fits the top of the Dac Pre, with a mouse pad in between, to prevent scratches.

Should I be concerned about the unit becoming too hot if I do this? In other words does the top of the unit function as a heat sink that shouldn't be interfered with?

Thanks.

Harry.

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #1,933 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-U-E-S-T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Elias,

Thank you so much for your extremely thorough answers and help. One more question has occurred to me, regarding the DAC1 PRE. Does it have much headroom beyond 0dbfs? Since some post-mastering DSP's can actually process a digital signal beyond 0dbfs (especially with the recording industry's "loudness wars" these days), I'm wondering if the DAC1 PRE is designed to have any headroom past 0dbfs, so as to avoid audible digital clipping artifacts in such circumstances. Please advise? Thanks again in advance.

G-U-E-S-T,

I think you're referring to "inter-sample overs", which are signals that went above the maximum threshold of the A-to-D converter between consecutive samples.

Headroom is usually not the limiting factor in these cases. The DAC1 PRE has plenty of available analog headroom. However, the problem is that digital circuitry does not go above 0 dBFS. Therefore, almost any DSP that is applied to a signal with inter-sample overs will render the overloads as digital distortion. This means any d-to-a converters with oversampling filters (such as the ones used in the DAC1 and most other high-quality DAC's) will clip when inter-sample overs occur.

Thanks,
Elias

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #1,934 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by hpatel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Elias,

I just bought a Dac 1 Pre from a fellow head-fier. I've had it for two days or so and am enjoying it immensely.

I have discovered that my lifelong preference for playing music with eq applied to make it sound better has completely vanished!

I read this thread over a week or so and recall you saying that it is normal for the case to be slightly warm, when in operation. I'm envisioning placing it under my LCD monitor which has a circular base that just perfectly fits the top of the Dac Pre, with a mouse pad in between, to prevent scratches.

Should I be concerned about the unit becoming too hot if I do this? In other words does the top of the unit function as a heat sink that shouldn't be interfered with?

Thanks.

Harry.

Harry,

The DAC1 may become too hot if you cover it with a mouse pad. The top of the chassis is a large part of the heat-dispersion of the unit, so covering it with an insulating material is not in the best interest of the DAC1.

However, you should be fine placing the LCD directly on the top of the chassis. Most LCD bases have little rubber thingies for that exact reason. Plus, as long as you're not twisting and turning it often, it shouldn't hurt it to just sit on top even without the rubber pads.

Thanks,
Elias

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #1,935 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by EliasGwinn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
G-U-E-S-T,

I think you're referring to "inter-sample overs", which are signals that went above the maximum threshold of the A-to-D converter between consecutive samples.

Headroom is usually not the limiting factor in these cases. The DAC1 PRE has plenty of available analog headroom. However, the problem is that digital circuitry does not go above 0 dBFS. Therefore, almost any DSP that is applied to a signal with inter-sample overs will render the overloads as digital distortion. This means any d-to-a converters with oversampling filters (such as the ones used in the DAC1 and most other high-quality DAC's) will clip when inter-sample overs occur.

Thanks,
Elias

Thanks Elias, so how does the DAC1 PRE handle a clipped digital signal when it encounters one? Some DAC's (like Lynx I believe) are designed to make a "best guess" rounded interpolation when encountering the clipped section of a digital waveform (and also give extra headroom for it) - which should result in nicer sonics in such situations rather than just allowing the sharp clipped section of the waveform to process through the D-A directly. Does the DAC1 PRE have any provisions like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back