Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Jul 7, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #2,941 of 3,058
We calibrate it to within 0.01 dB at a particular spot near 1 o'clock, but it is normal for the pot to have a 0.1 dB variance at any given spot, even around the balanced spot. 

But you can feel free to balance it using the L/R pot, which is a small trim-pot that you adjust with a small flat screwdriver.  Just BARELY turn it...it is very close as is.

Best,
Elias

Jul 18, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #2,943 of 3,058
Dear Elias,

I am one step away from purchasing the DAC1 USB, however, I have one question left:

With my current USB solution, the EMU 0202, I sometimes get interruptions or drop-outs due to high "dpc latency" caused by my wifi connection, a widely known problem.

Will this happen with the DAC1 USB, too? Or has Benchmark found a way to fix that problem (which is of course not a problem of the DAC itself, but rather, in my case, caused by the wireless network adapter)?

This has nothing to do with "jitter", does it?

Thank you so much for your patience in answering all these questions!

Jul 19, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #2,945 of 3,058
Hi Theiresias,

The DAC1 USB has a buffer that minimizes drop-outs, etc., but it cannot eliminate interruptions from a faulty internet connection.  This may affect jitter, but it is beyond the scope of normal jitter.

All the best,
Elias

Quote:
Dear Elias,

I am one step away from purchasing the DAC1 USB, however, I have one question left:

With my current USB solution, the EMU 0202, I sometimes get interruptions or drop-outs due to high "dpc latency" caused by my wifi connection, a widely known problem.

Will this happen with the DAC1 USB, too? Or has Benchmark found a way to fix that problem (which is of course not a problem of the DAC itself, but rather, in my case, caused by the wireless network adapter)?

This has nothing to do with "jitter", does it?

Thank you so much for your patience in answering all these questions!

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #2,946 of 3,058
Hi Elias,

thank you for your reply. It is not, however, a faulty internet connection I was talking about, rather a wireless adapter that spends to much time in its DPC routine due to "egoistical" drivers. Here is a picture:

Regards - Martin

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #2,948 of 3,058
Oh, wow...yeah, I can imagine that causing havoc in a system.

As I mentioned, the DAC1 USB has a buffer to minimize data underflows, but in severe situations such as this one, the system interruption may be too much for the buffer to overcome.

Let me know if you discover anything more about your situation.

All the best,
Elias

Quote:
Hi Elias,

thank you for your reply. It is not, however, a faulty internet connection I was talking about, rather a wireless adapter that spends to much time in its DPC routine due to "egoistical" drivers. Here is a picture:

Regards - Martin

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #2,949 of 3,058
I hope I am not repeating postings on this thread, but I have a quick question about the USB vs. the PRE lineup. I will be only using the USB digital input and using the integrated headphone amp for playback on my computer. Does audio coming from the digital USB input go through the LM4562 op-amps on the PRE as well as on the DAC1 USB version? Will the LM4562's improve my sound quality on the integrated headphone amp?

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #2,950 of 3,058
Yes, the audio does go through LM4562's on its way to the headphone amp circuit, but the headphone amp circuit uses the 5532 because it performs its function in that circuit much better then any other component available.

The performance of the headphone amp in the DAC1 USB will be identical to the headphone amp in the DAC1 PRE.  The 4562's become beneficial when you are using the other analog outputs.

All the best,
Elias

Quote:
I hope I am not repeating postings on this thread, but I have a quick question about the USB vs. the PRE lineup. I will be only using the USB digital input and using the integrated headphone amp for playback on my computer. Does audio coming from the digital USB input go through the LM4562 op-amps on the PRE as well as on the DAC1 USB version? Will the LM4562's improve my sound quality on the integrated headphone amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back