Benchmark DAC1 now available with USB
Jan 11, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #2,224 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the USB variant, not pre but it doesn't matter.

Yes it does matter. The DAC1 USB only has 0dB and -10dB attenuation jumper settings for the headphone output. The DAC1 Pre has 0dB, -10dB and -20dB settings, so it's more likely to have one that will hit the sweet spot on the volume knob for any given headphones.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #2,225 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it does matter. The DAC1 USB only has 0dB and -10dB attenuation jumper settings for the headphone output. The DAC1 Pre has 0dB, -10dB and -20dB settings, so it's more likely to have one that will hit the sweet spot on the volume knob for any given headphones.

I refered to the quality of the volume potentiometer. But you're right the -20dB jumper makes it alot more useable compared to -10dB. Too bad Benchmark didn't introduce it into the other DACs.

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #2,229 of 3,058
Quote:

...2x resampling with a resampler that leaves almost no measurable artifacts vs 1x with a so-so one is a BIG difference which you can easily measure and see with your eyes...

Quote from a SOS review: Benchmark DAC1

"The aspect that initially troubled me with this unusual approach to D-A conversion was the fact that the input is always passing through an SRC using complex non-integer ratios. The received wisdom is that non-integer SRC processes produce potentially audible artefacts"

But the resampling scheme in the DAC1 PRE is not a "so-so" one at all, but is in fact an excellent implementation which rather obviously sounds fantastic when listening.

I hear no audible difference whatsoever between straight 44.1kHz files versus those first resampled by Lynx hardware/software combo in DAW to 96kHz, when put through the DAC1 PRE.

Regarding your linked quote above, you somewhat conspicuously left out the rest of the reviewer's quoted sentence. Out of honesty and for the benefit of you and all the other readers here, I will give the complete sentence with emphasis on the part of real importance:

"The aspect that initially troubled me with this unusual approach to D-A conversion was the fact that the input is always passing through an SRC using complex non-integer ratios. The received wisdom is that non-integer SRC processes produce potentially audible artefacts, but Benchmark claim that the design of the AD1896 SRC chip is such that it does not require (or benefit from) integer ratios between input and output, and its performance exceeds that of the D-A converter, so it is not a quality bottleneck. With this in mind, I put it to a listening test.."

I might note that the reviewer (Hugh Robjohns) had no complaints, and in fact was so impressed with the DAC1 that he bought the review sample.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #2,230 of 3,058
Dude....

"but Benchmark claim"

The sentence before the "," are facts. The part you bolded are "claims".
Hope you know the difference.

Most DAWs have a so-so SRC resampler as you might have seen on the website i mentioned, if you even bothered looking.

I didnt intend to post this to start a debate, i just wanted send some feedback over to benchmark and i know elias prefers public posting vs PM
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #2,231 of 3,058
Quote:

Dude....

"but Benchmark claim"

The sentence before the "," are facts. The part you bolded are "claims".
Hope you know the difference.

Most DAWs have a so-so SRC resampler as you might have seen on the website i mentioned, if you even bothered looking. [snip])

popcorn.gif

do continue, bizkid. highly entertaining.....

Jan 12, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #2,233 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does the -20 or -10 matter?
What phones are you using?
I think that for the HD650, the default should be good enough, not ?

The response of the volume pot is non-linear, and it behaves best in the middle of its range. Depending on how loudly you like to listen and the type of music you listen to (for example, rock is usually mixed more loudly than classical), the -20dB setting may get you the better part of the pot's range.

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #2,235 of 3,058
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The response of the volume pot is non-linear, and it behaves best in the middle of its range. Depending on how loudly you like to listen and the type of music you listen to (for example, rock is usually mixed more loudly than classical), the -20dB setting may get you the better part of the pot's range.

i have always been curious about this but never quite sure what it means. on the dac1 pre, i've adjusted the volume pot through its range but never noticed a 'sweet spot'. sure it sounds best within a certain range but that's just my loudness preference, no? so the inner workings of the pot notwithstanding, what exactly is this sweet spot we talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back