benchmark dac1 and presonus cs on test for an hour,my initial thoughts
Apr 30, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #106 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.

Do you have a recommendation over the Tripp-Lite power conditioner that I linked to? (for around $200)

Also, can you explain briefly the differences between an isolation transformer and power conditioner as used here for audio gear? In other words, which type will benefit the CS more?

Here are my two examples:

Tripp-Lite IS250

Tripp-Lite LC1200

the first one will provide better sound from the cs. the second one will protect the cs from damage. i really wouldn't worry about damage unless you get brownouts and surges all the time where you are at. at those prices you will not get full line isolation(online ups). you don't need that for the cs either. i'd pick the first one.

music_man

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #107 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the first one will provide better sound from the cs. the second one will protect the cs from damage. i really wouldn't worry about damage unless you get brownouts and surges all the time where you are at. at those prices you will not get full line isolation(online ups). you don't need that for the cs either. i'd pick the first one.

music_man

Thanks for taking the time to look at the units. I will get the isolation transformer then. I do get lots of thunderstorms in the summer with at least a once per week power outage which I'm guessing leads to surges.

One last question (no promises
icon10.gif
): You may have answered this already since I've been on this subject before...but, can I safely plug my Tripp-Lite IsoBar 4Ultra into the isolation transformer - or would this not be beneficial?

There are 3 other components that I think should get the same treatment...tube amp, CDP & processor. If using the IsoBar is a no-no with the isolation transformer I will plan to use a good quality 6~8 outlet power strip instead.

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #108 of 145
you should never "daisy chain" electrical protection devices. these devices depend on a clean ground being present. plugging the isobar into the transformer makes the ground path longer. that is not the real problem though it is the blades in the nema socket lessening the grounding area. just plug the component you want to protect directly into the transformer.

music_man

May 5, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #111 of 145
If money were not the issue, can't you bypass the head amp in the DAC 1 and use an external tube headphone amp like the Bada PH12 or DOGE 6210? Woun't the addition of the external tube amp warm up the analytical sound of the DAC 1 with the AKG 701???

The DAC 1 seems to have the best error correction and plug and play compatibility with the Mac for playing itunes library in lossless.

May 6, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #113 of 145
Thanks for keeping us updated on your experience with the Presonus CS Music Man. I too am looking for a tube somewhere in the CS.

If anyone can suggest some good RCA cables for this I am all ears. If not some other adaptors than the units sold at Guitar Center.

May 6, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #114 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for keeping us updated on your experience with the Presonus CS Music Man. I too am looking for a tube somewhere in the CS.

If anyone can suggest some good RCA cables for this I am all ears. If not some other adaptors than the units sold at Guitar Center.

I bought these and have seen them suggested elsewhere: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DKQR3/

May 6, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #117 of 145
I'm using Mogami Gold TRS for a balanced connection between my CS and Aphex 204. I've considered buying the Mogami TS>RCA here which isn't bad for $17 but 6' is too long and I'd rather have Blue Jeans in custom length. I'm waiting for a price quote for an order.

Those Pro Co look like a good deal too.

May 6, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #118 of 145
Has anyone compared the CS's headphone amp to the Presonus HP4?

May 6, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #119 of 145
In the older Presonus threads here (you can find them if you do a search), it is almost universally agreed that the Central Station's amp is better than the HP4 (probably due to better power supply).

-edit- i'm considering doing a little bit of modding on the CS. I'm not sure if I'm just going to replace the power supply section with better quality components or if I'm going to get a little crazier and try to fit a zapfilter in there. Maybe I'll pop it open again tomorrow and take some close up pics and post over in the DIY forum for some suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back