benchmark dac1 and presonus cs on test for an hour,my initial thoughts
Apr 28, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #76 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
warrior05, do not cut the power cable. there is +18 +18 +9 -0 in there. you would need three micro switches. those are 30ga wire in there. forget that idea. maybe use a lamp cord with a inline switch if you must. the absolute best thing to do is plug it directly into the power conditioner without even using a strip. the strip makes the groung path longer. bad for the sound quality. it should be left on 24/7. it draws less than 1 watt with no music playing and costs about 2 to 3 cents a day to run in most places.

it also should be powered on constantly for at least 500 hours. after 500 hours it really opens up even more. with the k701's(recabled) the soundstage is like reference loudspeakers. i have never heard this with headphones before and you all know i have a few.

spreading the cs love
music_man

Thanks much for the advice. I will give it a try then. I figured it isn't sucking much juice so I don't have a big prob w/leaving it on 24/7. I just have to get used to it.

The CS really does rock, people!

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #77 of 145
i was not going to open my mouth but what the heck.
this is strictly from long term memory. the first bel canto is maybe not as good. the second one is maybe just a little better. the third one is a good deal better. still, i said "a good deal better" not a "lot" better. the dac3 is what, $2,500? plus only the third one is balanced i think. you may want to drive balanced sooner or later and it is worth it. then figure a $800 headphone amp to go with it(if you are staying single ended). do they even make the version one an two still? see...

music_man

Apr 28, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #78 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC1 also does not have a power switch. I don't know about the CS, but Benchmark has confirmed that the DAC1 is meant to be left on. EDIT: hit post too soon, I also dislike the lack of the power switch regardless of whether or not a component is designed to be left on 24/7.

that's odd. why would someone want to leave on anything all the time.

Apr 29, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #79 of 145
because high quality(and pro) audio electronics need to stay hot. they do not function properly untill they reach their full operating temp. in a pro studio you may need to use something at any moment so it stays on,warm and ready. with high end home audio like mark levinson the switch is on the back and not meant to be switched off except if you have to unplug the unit for a move etc. this is because mark levinson quality gear takes at least 8 hours to reach it's optimal temp. most people don't want to come home from work and wait 8 hours to get listening so they leave it on 24/7.

look on the bright side the cs costs maybe 3 cents a day to leave on. a full ml system can cost a few dollars a day or more to leave on. hardly any pro equipment has power switches. don't sweat it. it does not matter.

music_man

Apr 29, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #80 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's odd. why would someone want to leave on anything all the time.

I do. less stress on component and optimal operating temp.

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #81 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of you wondering if you can run balanced HD650s from this unit the answer is yes and it sounds amazing. The headphone amp is also very good, but the soundstage is much bigger with the balanced outs.

I'm interested in this too. So, you need to have the 650 with balanced cable, which would normally be XLR but to use the CS balanced, two XLR > TRS adapters are needed?

Which outputs do you use on the CS?

Do you have any pics. Dane likes pics.
600smile.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #83 of 145
This thread (and Ferbose's) are the sole reasons I haven't upgraded to the DAC1 or Lavry DA10. I definitely won't purchase these DACs until I audition them at a meet. That said, I obviously can not compare the CS to "higher end" DACs, although I must say my unmodded zhaolu D2.5 can not even compare to the CS. The CS is in a league of its own when compared to the zhaolu. Of course, I haven't heard a modded version either, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

On tuesday, my PS Audio Duet will arrive. I have frequently read that a power condition really helps the crappy PSU on the CS. I will post impressions when it arrives.

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #84 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in this too. So, you need to have the 650 with balanced cable, which would normally be XLR but to use the CS balanced, two XLR > TRS adapters are needed?

Which outputs do you use on the CS?

Do you have any pics. Dane likes pics.
600smile.gif

Yes, or you could just have a 650 cable terminated with TRS plugs. I'm using the Cue output to control the volume. I don't have my camera on me, but I'll try to take some pics tomorow.

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #85 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, or you could just have a 650 cable terminated with TRS plugs. I'm using the Cue output to control the volume. I don't have my camera on me, but I'll try to take some pics tomorow.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Guess what cable Dane will be buying next.
eggosmile.gif

I look forward to the pics.

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #87 of 145
I also wanted to thank music man for his help when I was researching power conditioners & UPS units.
smily_headphones1.gif

I started a thread late last year where some good info can be found- HERE

I still haven't bought one and this thread has got me back into the idea of finaly buying it.

My choice has been the Tripp-Lite SU750XL -I just need to actually buy it, probably from Provantage for $327

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #88 of 145
Does the Monster HTS 3500 count as "good power conditioning"? Have any of you CS owners done any sort of blind tests with the CS comparing a "properly" power conditioned CS versus one going straight into an outlet?

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #89 of 145
When you guys bot CS did you get a CSR-1 as well? Does it provide any convinience and added value?

I see the rebate to get a free CSR-1 but I have to purchase CS for at least $500 though.

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #90 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish this thing had XLR outs and came in a half-rack config.

These are the only complaints I have with the DAC also.

Dane - a few months ago I was going to try my 650s through the balanced TRS outputs. When/if you end up experimenting with this setup, please post some impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back