benchmark dac1 and presonus cs on test for an hour,my initial thoughts
Apr 26, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #46 of 145
the very strange thing is when i plug that sony into the daw and meter it it is hitting +12dbfs! the apogee has three lights for input also and it is lighting them all constantly. i don't know why the sonys output is so hot unless it is broken.

like i said though it does not matter i didn't relly intend to use a dac1 on that machine anyways. the dac1 is working fine on a daw right now.

i had trouble with a number of different dacs on that sony.

music_man

Apr 26, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #47 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My CS is due in tomorrow. I'm coming off of a Constantine DAC so it'll be interesting what I hear. I'm also curious how it'll pair up with my Darkvoice. Always love trying out new equipment!
cool.gif

Awesome, can't wait to read impressions!

Northern Sound & Light is selling the CS for $387.50 plus shipping, which sounds like a great deal. I may pick one up to add more warmth/musicality to my SA5000s (I may pick up either the CS or the Rega Planet 2000).

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #48 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome, can't wait to read impressions!

Northern Sound & Light is selling the CS for $387.50 plus shipping, which sounds like a great deal.

I think my price quote from NS&L was even less that that several months ago.

I was able to get Guitar Center to price match. Super sweet deal! As has been stated before many times, for $400 the CS is a no-brainer with all that it offers.

Thanks music man for the info and great impressions

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #50 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think my price quote from NS&L was even less that that several months ago.

I was able to get Guitar Center to price match. Super sweet deal! As has been stated before many times, for $400 the CS is a no-brainer with all that it offers.

Thanks music man for the info and great impressions

Thanks for the heads up on this deal GreatDane!!! I just got back from GuitarCenter and was also given the price match, very good customer service too.

and also a big thank you to music_man for all his posts and thoughts on the CS.

time to hook it up and listen
580smile.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #51 of 145
GreatDane - Do you have the Corda Cross? How do you use it with the CS? Like this:

Transport -> CS digital audio input -> CS Line output (CUE or MAIN?) -> Corda Cross -> CS Analog input

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #52 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the heads up on this deal GreatDane!!! I just got back from GuitarCenter and was also given the price match, very good customer service too.

time to hook it up and listen
580smile.gif

You're welcome
cool.gif

I have never had a bad experience with GC, even when I've been a PITA.

Please tell us what you think about it.
580smile.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #53 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GreatDane - Do you have the Corda Cross? How do you use it with the CS? Like this:

Transport -> CS digital audio input -> CS Line output (CUE or MAIN?) -> Corda Cross -> CS Analog input

I have had the Corda Cross-1 connected in various ways. My current configuration is:

DV-45A>CC-1> Aphex 204>CS>WA3///DV-45A(SPDIF/TOS)>CS(>WA3)>
eggosmile.gif

My reason for this is so that I can listen to non-hybrid SACD & DVD-A discs and still use the CC-1 and 204 in a universal fashion. I prefer to use the Woo for HD 650 and DT-880. The CS amp sounds best for Darth Beyers(325i undecided). For most critical listening I use the CS DAC(of course here without using the CC-1 & 204 & Redbook CD only), either with the CS amp or WA3 amp.

The purest way to use the CC-1 would be to do much like you describe which I have done before I think. There are a few ways to go about it because of the input/output options on the CS...it can get confusing.

Because of the slight signal degradation caused by the 204 & Corda Cross-1, I don't feel that the increased SQ that I get with the CS DAC remains intact(compared to the DV-45A DAC). For this reason, using the analog output from the DV-45A works best for being able to use the CC-1 & 204 with DVD-A & non-hybrid SACD.

I hope this all made sense
blink.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #54 of 145
first I'll say that this is the first good DAC ive ever had the chance to listen to. So far after few hours of listening I can say the resolution outclasses anything else i have heard by far.. a whole other world, it's really astonishing to hear the openness compared to say my Zune, which I think sounds pretty good.

As far as the amp goes it sounds fantastic to me, also the best I have heard (to be fair I havent tried the Tomahawk with the CS yet) I like the very warm analog sound with my 650s, though now I am a bit afraid to go for a Singlepower Extreme or the Woo3 to pair with this.. it may become too warm.

anyway, Im very satisfied for the money spent, I really doubt its possible to find a better value. I could live and be very happy with this as a single box solution, but I am curious as to what could be better..
600smile.gif

stealth edit:
received a set of ProCo TS to RCA cables today and finally got a chance to hear the Tomahawk out of a good source. The tomahawk has a much cleaner sound and I would say it bests the built in CS amp in some ways, however the CS amp has more body.

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #55 of 145
excellent thread, can't wait till my bday

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #56 of 145
I'm still awake when I should be in bed but it's hard to pry my 650's off.

So, I'm enjoying my Woo 3 and after switching back and forth many times with the CS amp with a Renee Olstead song-"Summertime" ,(using CS DAC and not the Corda Cross-1 or 204), I hear more apparent detail in mids & treble with the CS but it's not as involving. Yes warmer and better is the tube amp to my ears. The CS amp has a more dynamic sound but bass is not quite as powerful.

Both amps sound great though.

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #57 of 145
i just still do not understand how some people say it does not get "giant killer" status. i mean everyone compares it to $500 headphone amps and $1,000 dacs and says in one way or another it is just as good. i call that giant killer. what do you guys consider giant killer, $5,000 dacs and $2,000 headphone amps? that just would not be fair!

i have a/b'd it about a thousand times with the dac1 and the mini-dac now and i just like it better. both the dac driving the speaker rig and the dac+amp driving the k701's. the apogee and benchmark are more detailed and technically superior but the cs just "sounds" better to me no matter how many times i tell myself i must enjoy the more expensive units more.

this is like a solid state tube machine. warm and buttery.

music_man

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #58 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just still do not understand how some people say it does not get "giant killer" status. i mean everyone compares it to $500 headphone amps and $1,000 dacs and says in one way or another it is just as good. i call that giant killer. what do you guys consider giant killer, $5,000 dacs and $2,000 headphone amps? that just would not be fair!

i have a/b'd it about a thousand times with the dac1 and the mini-dac now and i just like it better. both the dac driving the speaker rig and the dac+amp driving the k701's. the apogee and benchmark are more detailed and technically superior but the cs just "sounds" better to me no matter how many times i tell myself i must enjoy the more expensive units more.

music_man

you are such an enabler. now that my brain is fried from studying I think i am gonna get myself a central station!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #59 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At the moment, I would have to totally agree with Music_Man's statement. I received my CS yesterday and have been very happy with it besides kicking myself for not getting one earlier. I haven't had a lot of time with it yet so I'm not prepared to do any kind of indepth review but what I'm hearing is terrific depth and detail. Out of the headamps is very musical and quite the combination of clarity and warmth. The most interesting thing to me is that I jumped from my Darkvoice to the CS and the two are VERY close. Again, I haven't done extensive comparisons but I was quite surprised at this. The thing that has me thrown for a loop is the possibility of after extensive A/B'ing, no longer wanting the Darkvoice. Hard to imagine but after what I heard last night I have to accept the possibility. Time will tell.

I am very happy with the CS. I look forward to getting some monitors hooked up to it so I can get back to speaker listening as well and being able to use the built in passive volume control. This thing is an amazingly versatile piece of kit. Even if you take away its preamp functions, $400 shipped for a terrific DAC and two wonderful sounding headamps? Far beyond bargain in my book!

Yup, CS fanboy here!
cool.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #60 of 145
DAC1 doesn't sound bright when using proper tweaks. Try Magix, ERS Paper, P300 Power Plant with MWave4 (crazy bass), Valhalla power cord. No problems! You just need a fast brain to keep up with the speed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back