benchmark dac1 and presonus cs on test for an hour,my initial thoughts
Apr 29, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #91 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are the only complaints I have with the DAC also.

Dane - a few months ago I was going to try my 650s through the balanced TRS outputs. When/if you end up experimenting with this setup, please post some impressions.

I'll be sure to. The 650 sounds great now-it gets better?
eek.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #92 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be sure to. The 650 sounds great now-it gets better?
eek.gif

I would be interested in your impressions as well. I just got the unit (this is actually my 2nd) and tried it out today comparing the headphone amp and the balanced outputs and so far I've been impressed. I think using the balanced cable it almost sounds like I am listening to speakers whereas through the headphone amp it sounds good, but definitely sounds like headphones. I'm sure a balanced amp would make a big difference, but I don't have any experience with balanced amps or listening directly through other balanced DACs. I do like what I am hearing though. I bought a balanced stock cable someone was selling and a couple adapters, but it would cheaper to get someone to put TRS plugs on a stock cable.

Apr 29, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #93 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread (and Ferbose's) are the sole reasons I haven't upgraded to the DAC1 or Lavry DA10. I definitely won't purchase these DACs until I audition them at a meet. That said, I obviously can not compare the CS to "higher end" DACs, although I must say my unmodded zhaolu D2.5 can not even compare to the CS. The CS is in a league of its own when compared to the zhaolu. Of course, I haven't heard a modded version either, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

On tuesday, my PS Audio Duet will arrive. I have frequently read that a power condition really helps the crappy PSU on the CS. I will post impressions when it arrives.

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you

Apr 29, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #94 of 145
you know guys, i am wondering where ferbose and freeflier are at?
if they still are around i wonder why they have avoided this thread.

i really wonder what people would think of the cs if it sold for $1,000.
anyone can say what they want now, but i bet presonus would still sell plenty of them.

you guys are getting carried away with the power conditioning. all you need to do is look at how much a filter attenuates "ac line noise". get one that brings it as low as you can afford. if the cs is all that you are plugging into it i'd say do not spend more than $200usd. it does not have to be a ups, just a line conditioner. of course a ups is better but save your money for other stuff like cd's!

music_man

Apr 29, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #95 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you guys are getting carried away with the power conditioning. all you need to do is look at how much a filter attenuates "ac line noise". get one that brings it as low as you can afford. if the cs is all that you are plugging into it i'd say do not spend more than $200usd. it does not have to be a ups, just a line conditioner. of course a ups is better but save your money for other stuff like cd's!

music_man

Are you trying to save me money?
tongue.gif

Maybe I should buy the Tripp-Lite unit that was my first choice(from my old thread)- it is the LC1200 .

It specifies :EMI / RFI AC noise suppression: 75 dB

Is that good enough ?

Apr 29, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #96 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be interested in your impressions as well. I just got the unit (this is actually my 2nd) and tried it out today comparing the headphone amp and the balanced outputs and so far I've been impressed. I think using the balanced cable it almost sounds like I am listening to speakers whereas through the headphone amp it sounds good, but definitely sounds like headphones. I'm sure a balanced amp would make a big difference, but I don't have any experience with balanced amps or listening directly through other balanced DACs. I do like what I am hearing though. I bought a balanced stock cable someone was selling and a couple adapters, but it would cheaper to get someone to put TRS plugs on a stock cable.

How loud does the 650 get using the Cue output? Is adequate volume a problem? Do you have an SPL meter to test this?

I'm thinking of having a balanced 650 cable made with 1/4" TRS terminations but I'm trying to decide if this project will be worth the money. I would want to keep my current cable, which is stock, for comparison.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #97 of 145
Music_Man, any light you can throw on this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhifibasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you guys bot CS did you get a CSR-1 as well? Does it provide any convinience and added value?

I see the rebate to get a free CSR-1 but I have to purchase CS for at least $500 though.

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #98 of 145
the remote provides no value i can see for audiophiles/headphiles. get a big discount instead!

greatdane 75db suppression is good, 90 is great. diodes for suppression is better than chokes. i think that thing uses chokes. still, don't spend too much money on it. that thing is probably good enough. the theme of the cs is forgetting about diminishing gains. it is very,very good for an absurdly low price. it is not the best you can possibly obtain for an absurdly expensive price. so go with the bargain theme all the way around i say.

music_man

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #99 of 145
I wouldn't recommend spending too much on a cable. Which is just why I used a stock cable because I wasn't sure if it would work well. I was worried about the volume, but I haven't gone past halfway at the loudest. It may depend on your source though. Try it out with buying another stock cable and see if you like it and then you can spend more money on another cable if you want. That way you can equally compare the difference in the stock cables single ended and balanced. This might work better with more expensive DACs and definitely with a balanced amp, but for the price, it is pretty neat that you can take advantage of this feature to at least get a taste of what a balanced setup would sound like.

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #101 of 145
Thanks for the pic. I am seriously considering trying this although I don't build my own cables so I would need to buy one. I'm wondering if I should just get a male XLR termination and use female XLR > 1/4" TRS adapters, this way the cable would be easier to sell.
confused.gif

I took a peek at Musicians Friend to get an idea of what they cost, they have some pretty cheap but not the cabled type like you have- HERE

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #102 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the remote provides no value i can see for audiophiles/headphiles. get a big discount instead!

greatdane 75db suppression is good, 90 is great. diodes for suppression is better than chokes. i think that thing uses chokes. still, don't spend too much money on it. that thing is probably good enough. the theme of the cs is forgetting about diminishing gains. it is very,very good for an absurdly low price. it is not the best you can possibly obtain for an absurdly expensive price. so go with the bargain theme all the way around i say.

music_man

Thanks.

Do you have a recommendation over the Tripp-Lite power conditioner that I linked to? (for around $200)

Also, can you explain briefly the differences between an isolation transformer and power conditioner as used here for audio gear? In other words, which type will benefit the CS more?

Here are my two examples:

Tripp-Lite IS250

Tripp-Lite LC1200

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #103 of 145
Quote:

Thanks for the pic. I am seriously considering trying this although I don't build my own cables so I would need to buy one. I'm wondering if I should just get a male XLR termination and use female XLR > 1/4" TRS adapters, this way the cable would be easier to sell.
confused.gif

I took a peek at Musicians Friend to get an idea of what they cost, they have some pretty cheap but not the cabled type like you have- HERE

I'm using a female balanced stock cable connected to male XLR to TRS cables. The reason I did this is because I wasn't sure if two of those adapters would fit next to each other and also because I can use the XLR to TRS cable to connect to a balanced amp later if I get one, but I would need a new headphone cable. You could probably get someone around here to balance a stock cable for you.

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #104 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcMasterJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a female balanced stock cable connected to male XLR to TRS cables. The reason I did this is because I wasn't sure if two of those adapters would fit next to each other and also because I can use the XLR to TRS cable to connect to a balanced amp later if I get one, but I would need a new headphone cable. You could probably get someone around here to balance a stock cable for you.

I thought that balanced headamps have female XLR jacks for the headphone output. This comment from you confused me- "because I can use the XLR to TRS cable to connect to a balanced amp later if I get one, but I would need a new headphone cable."

Maybe I should request that cable build and just get a 1/4" TRS termination. From your earlier comments it seems the cost would be worth it.

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #105 of 145
Quote:

I thought that balanced headamps have female XLR jacks for the headphone output. This comment from you confused me- "because I can use the XLR to TRS cable to connect to a balanced amp later if I get one, but I would need a new headphone cable."

Maybe I should request that cable build and just get a 1/4" TRS termination. From your earlier comments it seems the cost would be worth it.

In a balanced amp both the headphone outs and the inputs are female balanced. Since I have a TRS to male XLR cable I could connect it to the inputs of a balanced amp. But since my headphone cable has female XLR plugs I couldn't use it with a balanced amp. If you are sticking with the Central Station then getting it terminated with TRS plugs might be a good investment. I definitely enjoy it and prefer it over the headphone amp, but I know that it's not perfect. I like tubes so I think a tubed balanced amp would be perfect for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back