Benchmark as headphone amp
Jul 28, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My general rule is that it's either a decent DAC with a half-assed amp or it's a decent amp with a half-assed DAC. I don't bash on specific products, but when you're paying X amount for an amp and DAC in a box, that means that the amp is worth Y and the DAC is worth Z. Grossly exaggerated formula - but within reason (with lots of room for error), you aren't likely to find a standalone DAC or standalone amp that costs X and is not as good as the one installed in a unit having both, costing the same price.

FallenAngel, thanks for your thoughts. I realize we're speaking in generalities here and not referring to any single hybrid. Thus, a hybrid with an $800 DAC and $800 amp, for example, may not, if I understand you correctly, have a DAC as good as an $800 standalone DAC or an amp as good as an $800 standalone amp.

I'm beginning to get a sense of this with the HRD-Ultra. I'm using the amp section with the DL3 DAC to test the HD800, and the combo is better than the HRD alone. But not by much. I'm not ready to trash the HRD's DAC, but this isolation of the amp tells me that the HRD's amp is exceptional.

When I get my better standalone amp, I'll have a chance to isolate the HRD's DAC and test it against the DL3.

To the OP -- I know this discussion seems to be OT, but I think it's relevant to your topic since the question ultimately has bearing on all high-end hybrids such as the DAC-1, HeadRoom Desktops, and Grace m902, which are very popular among head-fiers.

Since getting the HD800, I'm curious to see exactly how good these cans really are. Listening to them on my hybrids, I've been blown away. Now I want to see just how much better they can be with a decent standalone DAC and standalone amp.

Jul 28, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FallenAngel, thanks for your thoughts. I realize we're speaking in generalities here and not referring to any single hybrid. Thus, a hybrid with an $800 DAC and $800 amp, for example, may not, if I understand you correctly, have a DAC as good as an $800 standalone DAC or an amp as good as an $800 standalone amp.

That is actually not what I meant. I meant to say that a expected performance of an $800 Amp+DAC is "generally" not going to be as good as an $800 standalone amp, nor an $800 standalone DAC in those specific duties, though there is a good chance that an $800 DAC+Amp will be as good or at least very close to a $400 standalone DAC and $400 standalone amp, but most of the time, it's more of a $600 X and $200 Y split between good DAC, OK amp or good amp and OK DAC.

Really don't want to bash on DAC1, it is a decent DAC and has a decent headphone amp, I'm just REALLY sick of fanboys blowing it out of proportion as the best thing in the world, best value, best DAC, best whatever. If I didn't know any better, I'm sure people would convince others that it would consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse as William Wallace in Braveheart.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #18 of 20
The Benchmark uses a simple opamp + buffer design, specifically LM4562 (in top model, NE5532 in older models) + 2x BUF634. The $100 amp this greatly resembles is Tangent's Meta42 (I'm actually using one as a pre-amp now).

Aren't you mixing up the pre-amp section with the headphone amp section??

This thing sounds wayyyyy better as a headphone any than any $100 headphone amp I've tried plus it drives every type of head phone no matter how crazy the impedance vs. frequency curve is unlike almost all the $100 headphone amps.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #19 of 20
Aren't you mixing up the pre-amp section with the headphone amp section??

This thing sounds wayyyyy better as a headphone any than any $100 headphone amp I've tried plus it drives every type of head phone no matter how crazy the impedance vs. frequency curve is unlike almost all the $100 headphone amps.

Holy thread revival from 6 years ago.
I'm glad you like it.

Apr 10, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #20 of 20
Holy thread revival from 6 years ago.
I'm glad you like it.

I can add that i have a Dac1 HDR that i use as a Head Amp.. Dac and Pre .. in various home set ups and its terrific ..i got it 2nd hand a few years ago from a recording studio where they'd had it from new ...only reason it was available was that the owners of the studio were retiring and selling off some of their gear ...they had 2 of these in use as part of 2 studios and 1 was being kept for home duty the other i was able to get ... so i think thats a pretty good endorsement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back